Extending COE: Lexus GS300 vs Mercedes E200

Elmo

(edited)

Thanks for highlighting the loss of PARF and insurance issues.

I was impressed by the many W124 on the road and their low number of ownerships which suggested that their owners love them enough and they are reliable enough to go on and on.

I hope I can find one like that but I'm looking for sth newer.

I was coming from the angle of having a budget of 100K.

Can't get much with that for new cars.

As for 2nd hand, the current market for similar cars as GS / E200 is still at the high end of 13+K depre.

If I'm extendng my WRX, the PQP COE is the same so I will be paying additional of $30K (PARF of GS 300/E200) less my WRX PARF of about $11K, if I go for the 2 lux cars instead.

But I get your point that it is more worth to get a 2nd hand PARF car than a COE car.

W123/W124 comes from a different era of MBs; over-engineered and designed to last. Stodgy and slow but firm and comfortable. I don't think the later W210 is anywhere near as tough. W211 is nice though.

Do remember to factor in the road tax premium of COE cars when computing the depreciation. When COE car hits 50%, the road tax for a GS is $1.2K more than for the same car <10 yrs.

Can I suggest a 2007/8 Mark X? Smooth and quiet with enough space to keep the family happy, capable handling and enough performance to keep you happy, with lower depre than GS or E-class.

Edited by Toeknee_33
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

But I think so long as bigger than my WRX rear space my kids will be happy :)

wah liddat alot of choice liao coz most cars are more spacious at the rear than the rex. [laugh]

seriously, if kids need space, get a MPV or SUV. confirm can future proof a bit longer. the kids will usually oso love sitting up higher. [;)]

back to my question... have you ever seen a Lexus break down on the roads? [;)]

Good point. I have seen more BMW's on tow trucks vs mercedes.

None for Lexus. Only roadside battery change. :)

W123/W124 comes from a different era of MBs; over-engineered and designed to last. Stodgy and slow but firm and comfortable. I don't think the later W210 is anywhere near as tough. W211 is nice though.

Do remember to factor in the road tax premium of COE cars when computing the depreciation. When COE car hits 50%, the road tax for a GS is $1.2K more than for the same car <10 yrs.

Can I suggest a 2007/8 Mark X? Smooth and quiet with enough space to keep the family happy, capable handling and enough performance to keep you happy, with lower depre than GS or E-class.

Is Mark X a rebadged Lexus? Because its specs is similar to the GS.

But thanks for bringin it up. Forgot about this model.

The more common Mark X 2.5L shares the same chassis as the GS/Crown (wheelbase 2850mm) but uses the engine of the IS250. There are a few rare Mark X 3L which is mechanically identical to the GS300. There is even a supercharged version running around, or so I heard.

Mark X is like a GS300 minus 10% - a little less space, a little less power, a little less refinement, but quite a bit cheaper :)

• Praise 1

wah liddat alot of choice liao coz most cars are more spacious at the rear than the rex. [laugh]

seriously, if kids need space, get a MPV or SUV. confirm can future proof a bit longer. the kids will usually oso love sitting up higher. [;)]

Test drove MPVs and SUVs b4. Just didn't like the tall ride. My kids love them though, especially those with panaromic roof! :)

The more common Mark X 2.5L shares the same chassis as the GS/Crown (wheelbase 2850mm) but uses the engine of the IS250. There are a few rare Mark X 3L which is mechanically identical to the GS300. There is even a supercharged version running around, or so I heard.

Mark X is like a GS300 minus 10% - a little less space, a little less power, a little less refinement, but quite a bit cheaper :)

Thanks for sharing. Will research more on this model. Could be a more value for $ alternative :)

• Praise 1

Hi all,

Was thinking of extending my current car's COE in 2015.

However was adviced that since I want to extend, should get something that is reliable and better value.

I narrowed down to the GS300 and E200 for their brand's reliability and comfort.

Hope to get some comments here on which is a better car in terms of reliability, parts availability and workshops' familiarity with it.

For mercedes, I am only aware of the good old w124 200E, 5spd, that is still running strong in many workhorses.

The 1996 to 2003 w210 onwards seems to be less popular.

For Lexus, I am only aware of the ES300 which is FWD and is a larger Camry-like car in other markets.

I am looking at GS300 for its RWD but other than that not familiar with its characteristics.

Appreciate any comments on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

Dont get a almost 10 years old car and extend COE yourself.

Firstly, besides parf you are buying from dealer,

Secondly, you are also paying for "body"

Thirdly, paying for 1 year depreciation.

Then if you drive 2 years (car 12 years old), resale into the market,

dealer only take in COE PQP plus abit for body.

You lose the PARF of immediately.

End up, buy, drive for 3 years, cost you $ much more than you expect.

Suggest is to buy a car which is 7/8 years old and wait it out.

If COE drop and you PQP it, you might even make a profit from the sale.

• Praise 3

Dont get a almost 10 years old car and extend COE yourself.

Firstly, besides parf you are buying from dealer,

Secondly, you are also paying for "body"

Thirdly, paying for 1 year depreciation.

Then if you drive 2 years (car 12 years old), resale into the market,

dealer only take in COE PQP plus abit for body.

You lose the PARF of immediately.

End up, buy, drive for 3 years, cost you $ much more than you expect.

Suggest is to buy a car which is 7/8 years old and wait it out.

If COE drop and you PQP it, you might even make a profit from the sale.

Thanks for the advice! Good sharing.

Thanks for the advice! Good sharing.

To buy cheap used cars, the best would be as:

2 models before the latest at showroom.

A brand that it's not said to be not reliable

Small model but with a bigger engine (Mazda 3 1.6 & Mazda 3 2.0 "2.0 cost same price as 1.6").

1 car which requires lots of repair which dealer/owner might not want to invest (as you as new owner and you repair it, it have a new start").

Can buy cars and wait it out:-

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info_financial.php?ID=402391

Paper now @ 25,488

Asking @ 29,900

Above paper only $4412.

Saw it at hougang couple of times, it just too oversize rims for my liking.

It's depre is pretty low for a car with such a high OMV.

In fact it is lower than a 2005 2.4 Camry!?

Is it due to its high road tax and it is probably too similar to a cheaper Camry.

It's depre is pretty low for a car with such a high OMV.

In fact it is lower than a 2005 2.4 Camry!?

Is it due to its high road tax and it is probably too similar to a cheaper Camry.

Supply & Demand 101.

Demand for Camry are higher than Lexus

back to my question... have you ever seen a Lexus break down on the roads? [;)]

You really think lexus don't break down?

They do too.

• Praise 1

Hi all,

Was thinking of extending my current car's COE in 2015.

However was adviced that since I want to extend, should get something that is reliable and better value.

I narrowed down to the GS300 and E200 for their brand's reliability and comfort.

Hope to get some comments here on which is a better car in terms of reliability, parts availability and workshops' familiarity with it.

For mercedes, I am only aware of the good old w124 200E, 5spd, that is still running strong in many workhorses.

The 1996 to 2003 w210 onwards seems to be less popular.

For Lexus, I am only aware of the ES300 which is FWD and is a larger Camry-like car in other markets.

I am looking at GS300 for its RWD but other than that not familiar with its characteristics.

Appreciate any comments on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

If you currently drive a WRX, you'll be severely disappointed with the lack of power in the W124. It has only 130bhp. It was a lot back in the 1990s but it isn't much now. Mind you, this is the 16V engine we're talking about with only a few left running around in Singapore. Most of the 16V 200Es are at the scrap yard cos most have COEs that expired in 2013, 2014.

You may see a lot of W124s on the road but most are on the old 8V engine which lacks power. Less than 130bhp. Most may not be in the best of shape and may need to be overhauled. Sure the car is comfy but I don't think you'd want to live with the crap power it gives you.

The 5 speed tranny you're referring to is the one on the W210. If I remember correctly, most W124s have the 4 speed auto tranny.

I would say give the Merc a miss. If you want to try something conti, you can try this

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=399163&DL=2341

Twincharged

In anyway,just avoid the W211,2003-2005 cars,the most problematic Mercedes Benz ever...lousy fuel pump[stop suddenly],lousy fuel tank[leaking],& their Famous "S.B.C." brakes...damm.. [thumbsdown][furious]

Lexus has more and advanced electronics stuff than Toyota.

One of my co's Lexus GS was sold in exchange for a Toyota 'cos too costly to repair (electronics/electrical issues).

You really think lexus don't break down?

They do too.

In anyway,just avoid the W211,2003-2005 cars,the most problematic Mercedes Benz ever...lousy fuel pump[stop suddenly],lousy fuel tank[leaking],& their Famous "S.B.C." brakes...damm.. [thumbsdown][furious]

W211 u need to get the 2007 to 2009. The facelift version. That platform looks nicer and have all problematic issues iron out. Btw Lexus also breakdown not at roadside but at Carpark. It's refuses to start. Starter motor gone.