Survey on car mileage-based tax

Turbocharged

And why must it always be TAX?

Can't u scholars think of good ways of management without always having to resort to $$$?

Moreover there are many loopholes example like tampering the mileage. So as a gahmen, they would prefer a hard cool cash upfront which is COE

Ya. Most effective way and no brainer method is to aim the pocket.. but it may be at the expense of 2016..

I'm really curious to see what our brainy scholars can come up to manage it without having to resort to the quick way.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

And why must it always be TAX?

Can't u scholars think of good ways of management without always having to resort to $$$?

Ya. Most effective way and no brainer method is to aim the pocket.. but it may be at the expense of 2016..

I'm really curious to see what our brainy scholars can come up to manage it without having to resort to the quick way.

Whats wrong with collecting more money from public?.. Hehehe

• Praise 1

(edited)

Maybe TS is ah Lui in disguise.

Joined just 2 days ago... made >10 post and start thread with survey link ....

Even if not him, it's no surprise if it's someone from the same ministry tapping public/free (re)source to fast and free response, freeing himself/herself of a lot of research homework

Real question will be ... since the idea of a mileage-tax is already spawned, will our negative opinions even be taken into consideration / addressed? Of is this just another (of many) policies that's already inked and the survey is just a PR show

Edited by Scoots
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Whats wrong with collecting more money from public?.. Hehehe

So typical of them, ya? Become norm leow.

Pattern many, still money.. wonder if the premium brains can come up with a win win solution that solve the problem without having to resort to more money getting suckered

Perhaps some transportation module which the student needs some numbers to do his homework?

If TS would come clean here, he may get better treatment. [sunny]

• Praise 1

petrol tax is a bit different though, it charges fuel consumed. Varies cause of fuel economy.

If Mileage based tax then those who drive a lot in Msia wil b losers cos ty wil b paying even though they dun clog up SG roads. [bigcry]

So typical of them, ya? Become norm leow.

Pattern many, still money.. wonder if the premium brains can come up with a win win solution that solve the problem without having to resort to more money getting suckered

If they can come up with other ways than collecting more money from us to "solve" problems..... I wil vote for them. [thumbsup]

• Praise 6

(edited)

car mileage based tax won't happening la ... so many variables and can easily be tampered ... administration is also a headache

lta already study for sometime on GPS/Satelite based ERP aka charge based on "usage" ... isn't already in testing stage liao

If Mileage based tax then those who drive a lot in Msia wil b losers cos ty wil b paying even though they dun clog up SG roads. [bigcry]

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

mileage based tax won't happening la

lta already study for sometime on GPS/Satelite based tracking in term of ERP aka usage based tax system

Ya ty now waiting for better GPS technology which can track cars better. Then it become a possibility. [nod]

(edited)

What are your views on a car mileage tax in Singapore, in place of COE? Instead of charging drivers a high “ownership tax”, a mileage tax charges drivers based on distance travelled. A mileage tax could potentially increase awareness of the environmental an congestion impacts of driving.

To explore the possibility of this usage-base tax, we created a short survey to help us understand your thoughts on this. The survey takes around 15 minutes to finish. We really appreciate your feedback.

To begin the survey, click here: http://goo.gl/glhTih

If there is any question or concern about the study/survey, please feel free to email sutdvehiclesurvey [at] gmail.com.

Thank you for your inputs!

OMG!!! I'm surprised that researchers from SUTD are actually thinking of such a stupid and impractical solution. Their survey is stupid as well. They ask a question like "Why would you support a mileage tax scheme?" with an option "I would never support a mileage tax scheme" then they make you answer a question like "At what price point would you consider other commuting alternatives like public transport, taxi, car sharing or cycling instead of driving if your household owns a car? (In S$) "
It's f**king obvious that I'm not in favour of this f**king scheme and yet you ask me this without giving me an option like "I will never consider other f**king alternatives regardless of price"
I'm sorry but if you're from SUTD, I'd expect you to have some background to economics but this clearly shows that you don't. I was expecting something of quality from SUTD. I wonder how SUTD could possibly be developed in collaboration with MIT when this crap comes out. I thought I'd be nice and try doing the survey. This survey is biased as it makes you agree that if the price is right you will agree to this bull shit mileage based tax. f**k you a**hole!
Edited by Fastfive1
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged

OMG!!! I'm surprised that researchers from SUTD are actually thinking of such a stupid and impractical solution. Their survey is stupid as well. They ask a question like "Why would you support a mileage tax scheme?" with an option "I would never support a mileage tax scheme" then they make you answer a question like "At what price point would you consider other commuting alternatives like public transport, taxi, car sharing or cycling instead of driving if your household owns a car? (In S$) "

It's f**king obvious that I'm not in favour of this f**king scheme and yet you ask me this without giving me an option like "I will never consider other f**king alternatives regardless of price"

I'm sorry but if you're from SUTD, I'd expect you to have some background to economics but this clearly shows that you don't. I was expecting something of quality from SUTD. I wonder how SUTD could possibly be developed in collaboration with MIT when this crap comes out. I thought I'd be nice and try doing the survey. This survey is biased as it makes you agree that if the price is right you will agree to this bull shit mileage based tax. f**k you a**hole!

Can't believe you actually bother to click the link... Hehehe

• Praise 1

(edited)

What are your views on a car mileage tax in Singapore, in place of COE? Instead of charging drivers a high “ownership tax”, a mileage tax charges drivers based on distance travelled. A mileage tax could potentially increase awareness of the environmental an congestion impacts of driving.

*It is understood that this idea is still in the planning process. Therefore, I will not dispute on details pertaining its logistics or technicalities

appurtenant to its implementation.*

Outright, the idea doesn't seem to be bad at all. I could see it benefitting those that drive their cars sparingly in comparison to those that

drive them extensively. Further justifying the need for drivers to plan their usage more efficiently.

However, this proposed scheme would have one major ramification. One that would contradict its purpose almost entirely. Causing a rise

in congestion instead of a uniform decline. (Note that cars are very desirable in SG. Especially in this day and age.) With this system in

place, the car market would see a huge decline in prices. Down to a level that's comparable to other countries. We would then see a huge

incline in vehicle ownership. Which is what the government has been trying to prevent since its erection.

Even if people were to drive their cars less, it's most likely that they would drive them at around the same times. Creating massive

congestion all throughout the island during the peak periods of the day. Furthermore, without the 10 year restriction that's currently

implemented in the COE system, the number of cars would imminently pile up as owners would refuse getting rid of them. But that's just

a technicality.

Instead of changing the way car ownership taxes work, I think this scheme would be more suited to replace the current road tax scheme

that predetermines a set amount to be paid based on a vehicles engine capacity. (Ridiculous!)

That, and the ability to import cars more than 3 years old and register them under the normal vehicle scheme like every other car. I don't

want to wait another 15 long years to import a Supra and only be able to drive it for 45 days of a year. I'll be too old to enjoy it anymore.

Edited by Ezfaun

Supersonic

Ya ty now waiting for better GPS technology which can track cars better. Then it become a possibility. [nod]

Yes, it has to be via GPS. So that when drive in boleh no charge.

The bill should not be yearly. But monthly like mobile/utilities bill.

Put it yearly, ......... people don't see the bill $$, will continue to drive bau, people must see the bill monthly to feel the pinch, then they will adjust their driving habits accordingly.

Odo from what I know, go JB cost RM300 to repair..... so an efficient & concise GPS is required.

Billing system also better not screw up.

• Praise 1

Ppl should stop using the mindless tax model to tax all the problems they encounter. Just becoz scholars can't think up of a good solution that doesn't mean we learn from their incompetence.

GPS is not going to work in underground tunnels. They will still need to on the erp gantries to get money. There is a need for land based "satellites" for the GPS to be very accurate. A large infrastructure has to be built, upkeep and monitored. It's too much work to suck money. Keep it simple but still be able to suck money will equally work for them.

So don't be a dick and come up with lame butt suck money solution. Time to use your brain and do some good for the ppl.

• Praise 3

(edited)

Old gen ministars already tax high high to begin with, but came along some smart alecs tweaked the system here and there, and now it becomes messier and messier.

And please don't talk about carbon tax, another rip offs to commoners. It means if you buy cotton garments, you'll be taxed until pants drop.

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement