Advice needed on exhaust summon

fizzi

Hi All

I need advised

I just bought a 2nd hand car at a car dealer shop but im not aware that the car has a modified exhaust.

So 2 month later i was stop by an lta office and told me that my exhaust was modified.

The exhaust sound so not loud at all so i asume that it was the air filter as it was knn.

After telling the the lta officer, he still want to summon me on the exhaust.

I change everything by the next day and when for an inspection and pass.

I also have call the car dealer shop and explain but was told to apeal.(choice auto at mekenzie rd) no after service at all.

After the apeal the summon was reduce from 500 to 200$.

Should i apeal again? As to me i was not my fault. only by the lta officer told me than i know i have a modified exhaust if not only the yearly inspection then i know.

Can lta waived all the fine or only still reduce or add back to 500$? If i apeal again.

Please advised

Thanks

Fizzi

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi All

I need advised

I just bought a 2nd hand car at a car dealer shop but im not aware that the car has a modified exhaust.

So 2 month later i was stop by an lta office and told me that my exhaust was modified.

The exhaust sound so not loud at all so i asume that it was the air filter as it was knn.

I also have call the car dealer shop and explain but was told to apeal.(choice auto at mekenzie rd) no after service at all.

Should i apeal again? As to me i was not my fault. only by the lta officer told me than i know i have a modified exhaust if not only the yearly inspection then i know.

Can lta waived all the fine or only still reduce or add back to 500$? If i apeal again.

Please advised

Thanks

Fizzi

Use the Lemon Law on the car dealer.

You call CASE and ask whether you can buy the stock exhaust, change it and claim against the dealer using the lemon law. Most likely you will still have to pay the fine but it will not be a problem for you in future. Do it quickly before the 6months warranty expires.

Many yrs ago, bought a used Renault Espace, apparently previous owner installed aftermarket exhaust.

Similar situation, at that time not aware of such modifications. The ROV officer (not LTA yet) who stopped me was v polite and professional. He wanted to book me but after my sincere explanation, he advised me to change to "normal" exhaust within a week. On closer inspection of the exhaust, saw REMUS engraved on it, did not notice it earlier, otherwise looks normal to me, partly hidden below bumper with no extraordinary sound.

I guess in your case, if the exhaust really looks normal to most people (not protruding, large diameter, fanci looking etc), perhaps try to appeal again? However if it is obvious to naked eye, or your car is altered in look (eg agressive wheels/ lowered suspension, bodykits), then i guess LTA may not "trust" your story, just move on then.

Kindly ensure you car has no other illegal modification, or on further appeal, they may bring up all these issues which they may have close one eye (eg too tinted windows, curtains, after market day time running lights/HID/position bulb etc)

Hypersonic

My advice is pay the $200 fine.

Change the exhaust and claim against the dealer via small claims court.

If its a good after market exhaust, sell on the second hand market.

You might even make some money.

:D

• Praise 5

For reference, reminder not to modify or tamper our car/bikes exhaust system.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/modifications_and_vehoffences/modification_guide/modification_allowed_lta.html

The exhaust system, which consists of the exhaust manifold, catalytic converter and muffler, is used as part of a vehicle's exhaust emission control system to ensure that the exhaust emission meets our environmental requirements. Any modification to the exhaust system would therefore require LTA's approval. The following should be submitted to LTA for evaluation:
a) Certification from the product manufacturer stating that the proposed aftermarket exhaust system is suitable for the make and model of the vehicle.
b) Certifications or test reports from LTA/NEA recognised test laboratories to show that the aftermarket exhaust system when fitted to the vehicle on a per make and model basis complied with prevailing exhaust emission standards.

Note: Removing catalytic converters and mufflers are not allowed as it will adversely affect the exhaust emission characteristics of the vehicle.

Vehicle owners found modifying or tampering with the exhaust system may face a Court fine of up to $1,000 or 3 months' imprisonment upon conviction in Court.

Supercharged

Vehicle owners found modifying or tampering with the exhaust system may face a Court fine of up to $1,000 or 3 months' imprisonment upon conviction in Court.

Actually, how to define tampering?

What if my exhaust has a hole and I patch it up by welding. The welding remains would stick on the muffler or somewhere. Is that consider tampering?

Actually, how to define tampering?

What if my exhaust has a hole and I patch it up by welding. The welding remains would stick on the muffler or somewhere. Is that consider tampering?

yes, once got welding or patch mark is considered mod...

I had my car exhaust welded/patched twice for holes before, never failed inspection.

now not so lenient liao. patch = fail

Hi All

I need advised

Please advised

Thanks

Fizzi

1 of the best solution, complain to LTA that this shop is selling illegal exhaust and they are also doing illegal mods... i doubt they will compensate you lah bro.

Hi TS, can tell us whats yr car model? Take a pic of your exos... Lastly, did the LTA officer send you to Lane 8 immediately before issue summon to you?

Cos from naked eye say illegal exos is not so easy unless your exos is like those a whole Cat can go in !!!

To TS,

Your English is very difficult to understand!

Bro, are you here for English competition? [thumbsdown]

Supercharged

My exhaust is original, bought from AD. But later I found the joint from tail pipe to muffler has some welding marks. AD mechanic told me "all come like that one". The muffler also has a sticker which states it is a genuine part (with a part#). I also have the invoice from AD.

Can I pass the inspection?

↡ Advertisement