What happen if you never remove your contact lenses

2cents

Amoebas devour girl's cornea after contact lenses stay in for 6 months

20140307_acanthamoebakeratitis.jpg
File photo depicting a case of Acanthamoeba Keratitis. Acanthamoeba keratitis, first recognized in 1973, is a rare, vision threatening, parasitic infection seen most often in contact lens wearers.
Thursday, Jul 03, 2014

The China Post/Asia News Network

By Lin-Yi Shen

TAIPEI, Taiwan - A college girl was found to have had both the corneas of her eyes devoured by amoeba after wearing disposable contact lenses for over half a year without taking them out.

The girl bought a pair of disposable contact lenses that were supposed to be used for one month and wore them for more than six months, even while she was sleeping. After feeling acute pain in her eyes, she went to hospital and was diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis, which is caused by a protozoon called an amoeba. The infection was brought on by dirty water that she used to clean her face, doctors said.

Acanthamoeba keratitis, commonly referred to as amoeba keratitis, usually afflicts contact lens wearers or people whose eyes come into contact with dirty water.

Director of ophthalmology at Wan Fang Hospital Wu Jian-liang indicated that contact lens wearers are a high-risk group that can easily be exposed to eye diseases. A shortage of oxygen can destroy the surface of the epithelial tissue, creating wounds in the eyes and cultivating an environment suitable for amoebas to survive.

Wu said that the college girl did not follow the correct procedure in maintaining the hygiene of her contact lenses and her overuse of the lenses gradually damaged her corneas. After half a year of wearing them, her corneas were devoured by amoeba and shrank to half their normal size. Unfortunately, polyhexamethylene biguanide (PHMB) or chlorhexidine, which are considered to be effective medicines in eliminating such amoebas, haven't yet been introduced to Taiwan, said Wu.

Director of ophthalmology at Tri-Service General Hospital Lu Da-wen warned that no matter whether they are soft or hard, contact lenses should not directly come into contact with water, as this will increase their chances of becoming infected by other viruses and protozoon.

Lu also stated that cases of acanthamoeba keratitis usually increase markedly during summer, and people should therefore pay more attention to proper hygiene at this time.

- See more at: http://yourhealth.asiaone.com/content/amoebas-devour-girls-cornea-after-contact-lenses-stay-6-months#sthash.90qOvv55.dpuf

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Maybe contact lens manufacturer needs to follow Tampon manufacturer by putting a warning. In this case, "Remove after 8hrs lest eyes get infected. Failure to do so might cause vision failure"

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I have always wondered why...

Most of the ophthalmologists and opticians I have met wear glasses instead of contacts.

Anyone else noticed that? I've always wondered about what they know that the general public doesn't.

Personal hygiene, proper maintenance and proper wearing of the contact lens are very important. I hv been wearing contact lens for 20+ years!

Contact lens very troublesome, I'm surprise she don't feel uncomfortable, before I did LASIK 5years ago, I had been wearing contact lens for the past 4years, once I accidentally nap for 2hours without removing the Len, the dry feeling when I woke up was rather unbearable. Wonder how lazy is she to the extent she can ignore the fatigue in her eyes.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Most of the ophthalmologists and opticians I have met wear glasses instead of contacts.

Anyone else noticed that? I've always wondered about what they know that the general public doesn't.

Yes, plus those eye doctor also didn't opt for Lasik.

Looks smarter mah.

Doc goes for lasik must pay $$$, doc does lasik on patients, earn bee tang.

Contact lens very troublesome, I'm surprise she don't feel uncomfortable, before I did LASIK 5years ago, I had been wearing contact lens for the past 4years, once I accidentally nap for 2hours without removing the Len, the dry feeling when I woke up was rather unbearable. Wonder how lazy is she to the extent she can ignore the fatigue in her eyes.

agree man, I wonder how she bear with it. I been wearing contact lens for the past 3 years, after 8 hours my eyes feels dry and tired already.

hey..better don play play...i had eye ulcer on both eyes and was admitted to SGH for 2-3 days.

I was lazy to change the solution daily so i reuse them.

BAD MOVE

my eyes were so swollen i almost couldn't close it. Thereafter it took me a while before i had the courage to go back lenses. But my eyes became very sensitive and dry.

Was fed up and i did lasik with SGH....problem solved

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Just happened those you know never go lasik? I know 4 of them who went for lasik already.

I continue to be amazed at the number of people who make the stupid decision to wear contact lenses for vanity's sake. Contact lens use is definitely not benign, and there's an extremely viable and much, much safer alternative: eyeglasses.

There are certainly fairly valid reasons to wear contact lenses - for instance, if you're a competitive athlete engaged in a contact sport, wearing contact lenses during the game may actually be safer than wearing a pair of fragile spectacles. But to my mind, there's just no excuse for doing it for vanity. It's interesting how people who have botched boob jobs or nose jobs often have more than their fair share of unsympathetic detractors. But people putting one of their most precious and vital faculties at risk day-in and day-out for the sake of vanity seem to get a free pass, by and large.

I don't need indignant lectures about how contact lenses can be worn "responsibly" or "safely". I know the facts. I also know that under the very best of circumstances it becomes a balance between low risk and practically no risk. If one's only reason for assuming that extra risk is a concession to vanity, I'd say one's priorities are in serious need of reordering.

• Praise 1

I continue to be amazed at the number of people who make the stupid decision to wear contact lenses for vanity's sake. Contact lens use is definitely not benign, and there's an extremely viable and much, much safer alternative: eyeglasses.

There are certainly fairly valid reasons to wear contact lenses - for instance, if you're a competitive athlete engaged in a contact sport, wearing contact lenses during the game may actually be safer than wearing a pair of fragile spectacles. But to my mind, there's just no excuse for doing it for vanity. It's interesting how people who have botched boob jobs or nose jobs often have more than their fair share of unsympathetic detractors. But people putting one of their most precious and vital faculties at risk day-in and day-out for the sake of vanity seem to get a free pass, by and large.

I don't need indignant lectures about how contact lenses can be worn "responsibly" or "safely". I know the facts. I also know that under the very best of circumstances it becomes a balance between low risk and practically no risk. If one's only reason for assuming that extra risk is a concession to vanity, I'd say one's priorities are in serious need of reordering.

But I wear spectacles not Handsome leh ... 😂

But I wear spectacles not Handsome leh ... 😂

CYF not Handsome? In which Universe? :D

Anyway, Hamsum no need. Humsup can oreddy. [laugh]