Off-Peak Cars....value for money

Eavr4

Yes agree on the days it rains, i also take it as an excuse last time to justify buying eday and drive to work ahhahaha esp in Nov and Dec rainy months... as you said its only 20 bucks, most people who can afford OPC cars can surely afford the 20 bucks and of cos there are that few who cannot afford or not willing to pay and still want and so they try to cheat... but that doesnt classify all opc owners as cheapo or cheats cos there are people like us who use it every single day for a week or a month due to circumstances and still pay without fail... :)

Have a good weekend

Oh boo hoo. Haven't anyone reminded you how life is 'unfair'? And what makes you think those OPC users didn't pay their licenses?

Its just $20 bucks, not $200. I can justify paying that amount when i need to drive to the office because its raining and i don't want to get wet riding my bike.

↡ Advertisement

wah so serious? did he get caught once then it was the second time that they catch him and this happens or he did it and got caught once and jailed?

wah not worth

Your colleague was lucky oredi.

My ex-colleague cheated on his parking coupon and he was sentenced to jail for 4 weeks. He got sacked for this and all his reputation and future gone just for that 50 cents. [smash]

hmmm... and you based that thinking on? :huh:

so i am one of those who are driving without a right mind when my red plate is on the road during the 7am-7pm restricted hours?

mai arh nee kwan lah. -_-

Although I've got no prove to say that all these opc drive without paying the $20 permit but I've heard from my friends who drove an opc said that there's no need to buy the $20 permit, just do anything but don't get caught! But deep inside my heart, I seriously hope they get caught n Kena fine GAO lat GAO lat !

wah so serious? did he get caught once then it was the second time that they catch him and this happens or he did it and got caught once and jailed?

wah not worth

could be more than once. The morale of the story is cheating gahmen 没有好下场 [dead]

• Praise 2

Was at marina bay residences last night n saw 1 bnb opc parkex there among the ferraris.. rolls royces.. bentleys.. lambos.. security guard confirmed the opc belongs to a resident there. Guess work nearby n jus walk to work ... opc suits different lifestyles n not tat people cant afford normal plate. Jus my 2 cents. I drive opc n i do pay $20 wen need to use during normal hours n the cheats deserve all the punishment wen get caught. No doubt abt it.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Although I've got no prove to say that all these opc drive without paying the $20 permit but I've heard from my friends who drove an opc said that there's no need to buy the $20 permit, just do anything but don't get caught! But deep inside my heart, I seriously hope they get caught n Kena fine GAO lat GAO lat !

Why not widen your social circle to get a proper, balanced view of such things? LOL.

• Praise 1

I cannot deny tht I am very very happy to read this!!! wohoooo!!!

Red-plated off-peak cars lose shine with pricey COEs [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Fewer weekend cars registered as cost of ownership rises: Experts

PUBLISHED ON JUL 29, 2014 7:25 AM
152 403 0 0PRINTEMAIL
offpeaksph2907e.jpg
Only 61 new off-peak cars were registered in the first six months of this year, down from 81 in the same period last year and 304 in 2012. -- PHOTO: BERITA HARIAN FILE

BY ROYSTON SIM

The population of red-plated off-peak cars has fallen by nearly a fifth in the last four years as the increased costs of owning a car have made them less of a draw.

Land Transport Authority (LTA) figures showed that there were 40,438 off-peak cars as at June this year, from 50,040 in December 2010.

Only 61 new off-peak cars were registered in the first six months of this year, down from 81 in the same period last year and 304 in 2012.

Experts said the scheme, which offers rebates but restricts cars from the road between 7am and 7pm on weekdays, has to be revised to be attractive.

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/transport/story/red-plated-peak-cars-lose-shine-pricey-coes-20140729#sthash.gbzMTQoN.dpuf

no wonder i see my carpark like more empty le...less of those draculas around........

and ahem...even when i was driving arnd the holiday wknd, less of them, noticably so

Turbocharged

2012 - 304

2013 - 81

2014 - 61

from 304 to 61 ... down by 80% [thumbsup]

still value for money? hehehe

How does that translate in percentage over new car regs? There has been significant decrease in new car regs the last 2 years too.

How does that translate in percentage over new car regs? There has been significant decrease in new car regs the last 2 years too.

and you still not gonna comment on the driving?? :D:D:D

Turbocharged

and you still not gonna comment on the driving?? :D:D:D

Let's not go there today. I've became more religious since....

... So religious that i can pray they burn in hell. 😂😂😂

muahahhaa..yes, recruitment is waivering down there :D:D

Just kidding dude. Live n let live.

[thumbsup] of cos lah

btw, mid aug i break...so try and do the @chickenfarm thingy again lah at maxwell...hahahah

(edited)

I switched my normal car plate to OPC Last year.

If you switch it when your car is a normal plate, you actually get a higher rebate.

LTA rebates $2200 per year, so over the course of 10 years, the full rebate is actually $22,000

The reason why I did it was because I now commute by bicycle to work. It actually saves me a lot more besides just this rebate. I now pay less for Petrol, parking, servicing and ERP.

ERP is the most expensive because my office is in CBD.

Some numbers

Of 365 days a year,

104 is sat/sun where I'm allowed to drive the full day.

11 Days of public holiday

4 days public holiday eve (also allowed to drive)

Thats 119 out of 365 I am allowed to drive per year!

Then comes the $2200 rebate. If you buy $20 per day, thats another 110 days you can drive.

So 229 out of 365 is covered.

Thats why I converted. Overall, save damned a lot. No point cheating.

Edited by SIM37

Turbocharged

Just realised that it's really worth getting or converting to OPC.

1) Reduced initial investment

2) Lowered Taxes

3) Cheaper Insurance

4) Deferred Day Licensing - upto 23.59 next day to purchase license via various media

5) Even if you forget its ok you have 5 working days to do "self-declaration"

Of which all could be redundant since there isn't any concrete control in place to truly catch you using without paying the license...u dun say...people dun tell on you....practically won't ever get caught...

"Everyone does it...." Seen so many OPC in use everyday outside the licensing hours...dun think these people pay license everyday else would cost more than regular cars what's the point.

So...until a concrete control mechanism in place...we should take the opportunity...!

Best thing which comes out from LTA (refering to OPC scheme, not the cheating) [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Turbocharged

does anybody know if for renewal of COE am I able to change to OPC from normal plate? cant find any information on this in LTA website

Supercharged

[shakehead] sigh...

↡ Advertisement