Drink and drive? No insurance cover!

Tripleh

I think this is one case that really highlights the lack of an "Ombudsman" type position in Singapore.

To have someone specifically charged with being a "advocate for the public" with the resources to investigate and propose remedies (with the power of parliament / law behind them) would be a big move forward.

We can already see the disparity in resources between "corporate" and "individual" and how this can be used to bully people.

As to writing to your MP or the Minister - yeah, that is one avenue - but again, most MPs have a very full agenda, and many times won't even be able to have time to become familiar with the issue.

Furthermore the role of an MP is very different - they shouldn't be able to get involved in disputes (except to lend a voice or bring it to greater media attention) - after all - do you really want the lawmaker "directing" private enterprise and making these sorts of judgements? It's the role of MPs to MAKE the law - and then for the courts to interpret / enforce the law - never the twain should meet.

In other words - even if you write to MP - he might be able to direct you to sources of help, or to change the law for the future - but I would not like to see a case where he can "direct" a remedy from the court in this particular case - that sort of rule by fiat would be highly inappropriate

Maybe cos the Ombudsman wil b taking many cases against the Gharmen n in the end he wil b made to "shut-up" [lipsrsealed] , like all those who take cases against Gharmen.

Just like that Ravi guy. [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement

I know but i will persistently ask the relevant authority why insurer is allowed to breach "Motor Vehicles (Third-Party Risks and Compensation) Act". If insurer is allowed to breach, what's the use of this act? Might as well cancel it.

I know it will be a waste of effort. What you gonna do if it happens again?

I am very vocal as long as it is within my legal rights.

Frankly. I doubt many lawyers r wiling to take up cases against gharmen.

They fear the repussusions if they win. Not only the lawyers. Even the Magistrate who ruled in favour of the public wil face problems.

Just like that Magistrate Michael Khoo after he ruled in favour of JBJ against Old man. [sly]

(edited)

I agree and feel it is a loophole or gray area in the existing law with regards to incidents similar to yours. And nobody with the authority seems to be bothered enough to plug it. [:(]

The laws here r very fair [grin] ...................................................................

Until its a case against the gharmen ( or a company "protected" by the gharmen) or an Elite. [blush]

Edited by Pisces69

I would have make a big fuss by reporting my story to be puchbished in a popular media like Manchester Times, I mean the Newpaper.

The sad thing is, it seems unless people make a big whoha, that the case get to the attention of the big boys, the authority will not make any action.

Well I guess Public Opinion still carries a lot of weight here. Especially when its nearing election time. [rolleyes]

I can imagine at the annual CNY gathering of insurance companies, they pat each others' shoulders and mumble "hehe, those customers of our industry.... nothing more than sitting ducks, and we can squeeze them thru our ever increasing premiums and at the same time hammer them with our reductions / evasions of our liabilities which they are paying us to provide... "

Or when the heads meet in private for drinks later away from public view.

Thats prob when they discuss the next plan on How to Screw the consumers. [sly]

That probably explains it... U got a big 4 firm lawyer to advise you to make insurance claims for a small sum. Obviously the costs charged by them are huge or that they find it a waste of time ~ sorry if I have to say this...

There are many smaller firms out there prepared to assist you if you want to pursue further ( I heard some even prepared to waive their solicitor fees because they can get their legal costs back from the third party insurer).

Up to U.

There used to b a law firm , Ho Corpoartion, I think who used to advertise they handle these smaller claims type. [nod]

(edited)

exactly. throwing good money after bad doesn't solve anything. sure, those smaller lawyers will be happy to take your case when they are billing you by the hour.

i know the lawyer from R&D very well, enough that he said I could definitely pay him, but the outcome wouldn't differ much anyway. the good lawyers are the ones that aren't greedy and ready to bill by the hour, but actually think of the scenario and whether or not they can benefit the client.

i'm lucky to say i've met some great lawyers while working. 1-2 have become friends and i can even pick up the phone and call one at midnight and he will still answer and try to help.

im trying to explain to @sci10213 that not everything is so cut and dry, and going against a big entity will take big balls and a bigger wallet. sometimes you just have to know when to call it quits and move on. i do not hope for anyone to ever be in my situation, but if sci10213 ever gets into a similar situation, please feel free to teach me the right way, since i've obviously done it wrong (in his opinion ...) ;)

i've seen people win million dollar judgments, but unable to collect a dime from the offending party. legal fees came out to $200k. why the hell would i want to win, at the expense of winning "in name" only. whenever i fight a battle, i want to make sure there's a 95% chance of me winning. otherwise whats the point?

Yeah. Some have learned th e"way" to avoid paying huge [dizzy] judgements against them when they lose defamation cases against those U Know Who n his likes. [sly]

Judgements of hundreds of thousands end up only pay $5K? Hahahahaha. [laugh]

And the public can donate Thousands till the defendant ends up a winner.

Edited by Pisces69

(edited)

Sometimes a concrete example helps. Something everyone can relate to.

Example:

When TT sued a private citizen for defamation, he won. Big fish vs small fish.

When TT sued Es Pee H for the same thing, he lost big time. Big fish trying to go up against a great white shark.

See? [laugh]

He got swell headed. [grin]

Started to think he was well protected. Unfortunately he under-estimated his opponent cos they were even better protected. [sunny]

Edited by Pisces69

TT Durai din lost big time, he lost almost everything. The most important being his reputation which is priceless.

Priceless? Peanuts, I'd say.

Turbocharged

Or when the heads meet in private for drinks later away from public view.

Thats prob when they discuss the next plan on How to Screw the consumers. [sly]

Motor insurance industry is a place where car owners who haven't make any claim suffer high rises in premiums for nothing. I have made no claims for ages yet premiums go up and NCB is always capped at 50%!! Wtf!!

Motor insurance industry is a place where car owners who haven't make any claim suffer high rises in premiums for nothing. I have made no claims for ages yet premiums go up and NCB is always capped at 50%!! Wtf!!

So if u ride/drive....It dun pay to b careful n have a clean record. Get yr moneys worth. [rolleyes]

B reckless n get into more accidents is what the Ins Co r trying to say. [hur]

Twincharged

Not always go up la. Mine went down this year again.

Turbocharged

Not always go up la. Mine went down this year again.

Quick, which insurance company you use, I will ask them quote for my car!! Thks

Twincharged

Typical finance manager error.... Penny wise pound foolish... Hehehe

i believe all ins coys do not cover accidents cause when DUI.

my friend's car was hit by a drunkard dirver some years ago ... but when he reported it, he had to make sure that he did not say that the other party was drunk, coz the other ins won't pay if the other guy was drunk and my friend would have ended up claiming from his own ins.

and basically, when you drink and drive, its basically your fault - coz you chose to ... nobody force you to drink.

Twincharged

Quick, which insurance company you use, I will ask them quote for my car!! Thks

NTUC. 2 years ago I was paying 800+. Then dropped to 700+ and this year was 690+.

So can eat pork or not?

How about then I wan to marry 4 wives also. [sly][bounce2][bounce1]

Marry 4 wives not easy leh.

One week got 7 nights.

Each wife gets 2 times a week

except for one wife only gets 1 time a week

sure not happy one.

Thats why I think a man should only have 3 wives.

At least one day a week can get some rest.

:D

• Praise 2

1 day for PCC.

Marry 4 wives not easy leh.

One week got 7 nights.

Each wife gets 2 times a week

except for one wife only gets 1 time a week

sure not happy one.

Thats why I think a man should only have 3 wives.

At least one day a week can get some rest.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2