Digital Photo Storage

Hiphiphoray

People of MCF........hear me out. [laugh]

How do you guys store your digital photos har ?

Portable HD ? DVD ? Desktop only ? Photobucket ?

Currently i have them stored half in a desktop and 1/2 in a laptop. No other backupz. [sweatdrop]

Recently, the laptop feels like wana upz lorry liao.....so im worried and want to transfer them out.

To where is the best ? And how many backup should be sufficient ?

Got a few thousand photos lor.......so file quite big!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

(edited)

Best is cloud storage + physical Backup.

physical backup best is two locations - 1 here and 1 other place in case of fire.

Best also is not to have one copy not plugged in case of electrical issues.

Always store on old type of magnetic HDD. SSD/memory card is harder to retrieve information when it crashes.

that being said, i've been lazy with my backups :P

few thousand is sup sup sui lah. especially if u only shoot in .jpg.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

i have copies in external hard disk (a few of them) and always duplicate until i lost count and become quite messy and not organised.

Also the important ones in icloud, dropbox and google drive, meaning they are all over the place [laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Currently i have them stored half in a desktop and 1/2 in a laptop. No other backupz. [sweatdrop]

Recently, the laptop feels like wana upz lorry liao.....so im worried and want to transfer them out.

i is hard disk siao

so i dump everything in my hard disks

Hypersonic

Have to be Kiasi with this. I store them in my NAS with RAID 0 mirroring and also duplicate copies on external HDD.

Since external HDD are cheap, can get 2 or more HDD and backup similar copies across them.

• Praise 2

How to have the date stamp displayed on the photos (like in the good old days camera)? Seems like all digicam and smartphone's photos cannot leh:(

• Praise 1

(edited)

Have to be Kiasi with this. I store them in my NAS with RAID 0 mirroring and also duplicate copies on external HDD.

Since external HDD are cheap, can get 2 or more HDD and backup similar copies across them.

NAS have to be careful. I have also. but i just treat it as a drive. Raid can have errors when rebuilding the system.

haha sibei old school. i really really dislike that. I used to get very pissed when i accidentally left it on in my photos.

How to have the date stamp displayed on the photos (like in the good old days camera)? Seems like all digicam and smartphone's photos cannot leh:(

Edited by Lala81

Turbocharged

have a 100gb dropbox account. everything from my younger day pictures, university days etc to scans of my grandparents' pictures are saved there. almost 20 gig of pictures ... plus being able to use my phone to show pictures on the fly is quite convenient ...

• Praise 2

A few thousand is very little, even in RAW Format ... A DeskTop External HDD can easily handle ... Now a days very cheap, can buy 2 to Back Up ... [nod]

• Praise 1

(edited)

ya lor. my photos is abt 50gb.

Not including ones from the phone. Phone picts/video is about 7gb on dropbox.

Edited by Lala81

(edited)

You CAM WHORE izzit ... [laugh]

No leh. I only switched to shooting RAW 2 yrs ago.

I store for my parents holiday trips also lah. Cos they dunno how to backup mah.

I already store as DRG format liao using adobe Lightroom to import. Don't even have the embedded jpg inside.

Pure RAW files have the embedded JPG preview file inside. thats why so big.

and i'm sure i take very little. I only take family photos. and holidays.

I don't take selfies lol.

Edited by Lala81

No leh. I only switched to shooting RAW 2 yrs ago.

I store for my parents holiday trips also lah. Cos they dunno how to backup mah.

I already store as DRG format liao using adobe Lightroom to import. Don't even have the embedded jpg inside.

Pure RAW files have the embedded JPG preview file inside. thats why so big.

DRG a bit over kill unless you do a lot of Photoshop ... If you are only on Lightroom ... JPG will be enough ... [nod]

Hypersonic

Best to get a NAS with at least 2 HDD running RAID mirroring each other so that if one dies, you still have another. I have a NAS with 4x4TB to store the photos so probability of dying should be quite low.

• Praise 1

DRG a bit over kill unless you do a lot of Photoshop ... If you are only on Lightroom ... JPG will be enough ... [nod]

Hmmm i think RAW/DRG easier/more accurate to control white balance/colors lah. So i just shoot RAW then import as DRG lor (since DRG can eliminate the extra JPG preview file to save space). I only crop and adjust color and exposure. No time to do more.

i only shoot raw [grin]

lol. U sure ur wife let u.

↡ Advertisement