Most Expensive City In the world

Mllcg

Ya me too..housing depends how we buy n see it..

Best place i feel is dubai but damn hot nia...but also cant compare.they can have luxury for 4 pple to man a handphone casing counter..lol

Lol i don't like dubai, other than too hot, the law doesnt suits me. Super racist, singapore best when everyone is equally treated. U go angmoh country u become sub class race

USA is cheap. No question! But the key issue is security, with their gun culture. The one topic you can never discussed with Americans is gun & shooting.

In Germany, some people refer to America as Cowboy hand, & people some takes laws into their own hand.

If you are in America, do not put you handphone in your inner pocket of jacket. A person can just shoot you, if he think you maybe taking out a weapon. In fact, a small boy was killed by a cop when he reached something in this pocket, & shot by a panic cop.

Just recently a robber was shot (it got into the new because, she told the man NOT to shot her, as she was pregnant (she wasn't)). She was shot 2X at the back (killed) in the alley while fleeing from the man she tried to rob. Key words are she was already fleeing, & not armed, when shot. In my book it went beyond self defense.

More disturbing is one. The man (80 years old) have no sense of guilt, & many Americans agree with the shooting.

I thought about moving to USA, with all the cheap stuff, but every time I think of the lack of security....You can be shot by some robber, or some random stranger that think your are a danger, because you have a mugface, where you need to metal detector when entering school etc.-

Americans think nothing of it as its part & parcel of their life. But for the rest of us, as least myself, its not something I wanted to risk for myself & family.

Its part of their security. Police not enough so people had to self defense.

Agree though buying things are cheaper like branded clothings, cars and housings. Food relatively

↡ Advertisement

How much did average german took home pay like??

Usually they need how long clear their housing loan??expensive?

Just curious coz never go before

Germany, like many Western European countries like huge tax.40-50%. SO I said, maybe 4-4.5k. But its hard to make direct comparison, as your tax also cover health insurance, education for kids etc, & of course, goes into your pension.

In terms of housing, surprising, they pay almost as long as Singaporeans, like 30 years of house loan. An average house off cities in Hesse area cost between about S$220-500K.

Of course you actually get to live in a house, & own it.

The wonderful thing about housing in Germany, unlike many places, where a developer prebuild it, then you buy the prebuild house. In Germany, you buy the land, then you find a contractor to build it the way you wanted it (or you can even build it yourself!), with some restriction. Mainly, you must not block the view of your neighbors, & it must not stand out like a sore thumb.

I think this a good video about the house system in Germany. I think our Government can learn something from the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5-UEfqWak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OxMyDXHlR4

• Praise 1

(edited)

the survey actually make sense. Among some of the needs eg Food, Shelter, cothings, transport.Food and clothings, I think we are quite affordable for food and clothing but for transport and shelter... We are really no joke. Tell any foreigner how much a bread and butter Totota Vios cost and they will be speachless...

Edited by Tigershark1976
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Lol i don't like dubai, other than too hot, the law doesnt suits me. Super racist, singapore best when everyone is equally treated. U go angmoh country u become sub class race

In Singapore, everyone is treated equally? Unless your everyone refer to within Singaporeans.

Its not a secret that some Singaporeans looks down on many of the FWs and even FTs from other nations, & treated especially the construction workers like 2nd or 3rd class people. I seen it like regular basis since I was a small boy.

And I haven't even started about how some people treated their maids.

Yes, among Singaporeans, between the ethical groups, our harmony is pretty incredible, worthy of studies by other nations. No questions. The same cannot be said how some Singaporeans think of people outside this circle.

Edited by Kiadaw

(edited)

In Singapore, everyone is treated equally? Unless your everyone refer to within Singaporeans.

Its not a secret that some Singaporeans looks down on many of the FWs and even FTs from other nations, & treated especially the construction workers like 2nd or 3rd class people. I seen it like regular basis since I was a small boy.

And I haven't even started about how some people treated their maids.

Yes, among Singaporeans, between the ethical groups, our harmony is pretty incredible, worthy of studies by other nations. No questions. The same cannot be said how some Singaporeans think of people outside this circle.

Even FTs are treated equally somehow as compared in western. I am a FT so i know well. Almost all my friends and colleagues are singaporean and we get along well, treated like one of them.

Maybe FWs 2nd or 3rd class people treated not that bad compared to western countries. However few countries in western does treat FTs equally like Canada, Swiss and Holland.

the survey actually make sense. Among some of the needs eg Food, Shelter, cothings, transport.Food and clothings, I think we are quite affordable for food and clothing but for transport and shelter... We are really no joke. Tell any foreigner how much a bread and butter Totota Vios cost and they will be speachless...

The ministar already informed us that u better don't drive, take public transport even it sucks but u still had to

Edited by Thaiyotakamli

(edited)

20-30 years later from today, with the current 1-2 millions FT new citizen 2nd generation assimilated to spore population ...

it would be perfect [thumbsup] ... 2nd generation FT kid grow up in spore would love ckt, laksa, nasi lemak, bak kut teh, sugar cane drink, and food at hawker centre ...

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

30 years later from today, with the current 1-2 millions FT new citizen 2nd generation assimilated to spore population ...

it would be perfect [thumbsup]

Who knows the 2nd gen new citizens will be like a true blue singaporean?

Back in 50-60 years ago, many singaporean grandfathers come to sg came from China. With education and cultural influences, it will indeed assimilated into singapore population

• Praise 1

Even FTs are treated equally somehow as compared in western. I am a FT so i know well. Almost all my friends and colleagues are singaporean and we get along well, treated like one of them.

Maybe FWs 2nd or 3rd class people treated not that bad compared to western countries. However few countries in western does treat FTs equally like Canada, Swiss and Holland.

The ministar already informed us that u better don't drive, take public transport even it sucks but u still had to

Your perspective is from about how FTs are treated compare to citizens, as your basis for equality. I can understand, & you maybe right on this perspective.

But it not doubt that many people in Singapore, mostly FWs, which actually make a significant % of population and in fact contribute massively to our development, are only were not treated as equal.

they hardly get a mention, by just about anyone, from citizens to government for our nation success.

• Praise 1

Your perspective is from about how FTs are treated compare to citizens, as your basis for equality. I can understand, & you maybe right on this perspective.

But it not doubt that many people in Singapore, mostly FWs, which actually make a significant % of population and in fact contribute massively to our development, are only were not treated as equal.

they hardly get a mention, by just about anyone, from citizens to government for our nation success.

The last part is true. I agree. But then again they get paid for their contribution. I think its fair enough and as long as the government and local doesnt discriminate or treat them unfairly, i think it would do

Makes no sense for me to have a drink at coffeeshop since 2006 when I can only smoke in the yellow box.

The yellow box is not the problem per se. Its the environment within the box..., rowdy, noisy, kpkb. No personal space. Hence I rather get a 6 from Ang Mo, SS, NTUC......get those budget brand and sip on 1-2 cans at night once on a blue moon.

join me for happy hour lah.................we can smoke in the room with some music .............nuts and fruits.............and of course not forgetting the beer!!!........... [laugh] [laugh]

London 1 sandwich 3-4 pound in the normal store

why Singapore no 1 i dont understand

somes places like Istanbul, Athens..things are so expensive to their locals also..their earning power so low, things are so expensive but they never in the list before

even my malaysian colleagues said earn in Sg spend in Sg also better than earning and spend at their side..

sometimes i also dont understand the reports

you sometimes dont understand................i am most of the times dont understand ........... [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

http://business.asiaone.com/personal-finance/investments-and-savings/cost-retire-future-1-million

SG may not be #1 expensive, but the diff is we have no choice to move to a lower cost place as compared to NYC, Moscow, Paris, Geneva, etc. .

The article above says a person need abt $2,000 a month just to get by. . .

( his calculation )

My premises were simple. Assume a 25-year-old hoping to stop work at 62 and expecting to live to 83 - the life expectancy for Singapore men. I assumed that the person would need $2,000 a month in "present dollars" - basically, that after retirement, he would consume the amount of goods and services that $2,000 can buy him today. The CPF site assumed an inflation rate of 3 per cent and investment returns during retirement of 4 per cent. And after the number-crunching, the figure of $1.14 million was generated.

• Praise 1

http://business.asiaone.com/personal-finance/investments-and-savings/cost-retire-future-1-million

SG may not be #1 expensive, but the diff is we have no choice to move to a lower cost place as compared to NYC, Moscow, Paris, Geneva, etc. .

The article above says a person need abt $2,000 a month just to get by. . .

( his calculation )

My premises were simple. Assume a 25-year-old hoping to stop work at 62 and expecting to live to 83 - the life expectancy for Singapore men. I assumed that the person would need $2,000 a month in "present dollars" - basically, that after retirement, he would consume the amount of goods and services that $2,000 can buy him today. The CPF site assumed an inflation rate of 3 per cent and investment returns during retirement of 4 per cent. And after the number-crunching, the figure of $1.14 million was generated.

Inflation at 3%, really?

How much is CPF paying?

It is sad but 20 years down the road, there will be more table wipers in their 60s and 70s and the wealth gap will widen further.

It is a globalized world, there is nothing we can do but.... at least we have our hawker centres. [laugh]

• Praise 1

I personally think, In life, don't compare here, compare there. You can compare until the cows come home, also can't compare finish.

You always want to compare to the 10% who are better off than you, It's human. I do it all the time.
But when i compare to the 90% who are worse off than me, i feel grateful growing up in Singapore.

In different circumstances, i would be growing up in a rubbish dump and eking out a subsistence livelihood.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Evry tax here is insane

Income tax is low. Goods & service tax also low.

Just for some balance prepsective.

Edited by Kiadaw
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Singapore tax is low (except for COE and housing, which is implicit tax), cannot complain, it is our business model. Edited by Voodooman

If the taxes here are low, we won't be on top of the chart today.

• Praise 2

Disliking my post won't change the fact that 40-50% income tax + 20% VAT exists in many countries in europe.

Every country needs tax to survive. Every citizen doesn't like to be taxed. It's just inherent.

If u really think the grass is super green on the other side, just go to the other side to feed.

There's only one thing to say. The grass is green only because there's a lot of manure/fertilizer underneath the ground.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2