Boy hurt by fallen glass door at Westgate mall

Darthrevan

A four-year-old boy was hurt after a glass door at Westgate mall in Jurong East reportedly fell on top of him.

A member of the public who only wants to be known as "Paul" sent in photos of the aftermath. He says he heard from the boy's mother that the glass door - about three-metres high - just outside of NTUC's My First Skool childcare centre and a Fitness First gym, leading to the outdoor area on Level 5, detached and fell on top of the boy just before 6pm.

Mr Paul says the boy's entire body was pinned down by the door, and that he was lying facedown when he arrived shortly after. The boy's right cheek appeared to be bruised. There were also traces of blood on the ground.

"Because the glass door is tempered glass, it shattered within," said Mr Paul. He says two staff members from the nearby Westgate Kids Club brought a first aid kit to tend to the boy, and a doctor from a clinic one level down came up to assist as well.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) confirms it received a call on the incident at 6:05pm, and says the boy suffered a cut to the back of his head and reported having neck pains.

He was sent conscious to the National University Hospital, accompanied by his mother and mall staff.

A spokesperson for Westgate mall says the boy was swinging the glass door the time of the accident. "Our investigations revealed that the boy had over-extended the glass door when he swung it, causing it to hit the door frame and shatter," said Ms Mandy Chiu, the marketing communications manager for Westgate in a statement to Channel NewsAsia.

The boy remains in hospital for observation, but is in stable condition. "We wish him a speedy recovery, and continue to extend our help to him and his family," said Ms Chiu.

The mall's contractor will be conducting safety checks on its glass doors and panels overnight, to prevent a recurrence of such an incident.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

A four-year-old boy was hurt after a glass door at Westgate mall in Jurong East reportedly fell on top of him.
A member of the public who only wants to be known as "Paul" sent in photos of the aftermath. He says he heard from the boy's mother that the glass door - about three-metres high - just outside of NTUC's My First Skool childcare centre and a Fitness First gym, leading to the outdoor area on Level 5, detached and fell on top of the boy just before 6pm.
Mr Paul says the boy's entire body was pinned down by the door, and that he was lying facedown when he arrived shortly after. The boy's right cheek appeared to be bruised. There were also traces of blood on the ground.
"Because the glass door is tempered glass, it shattered within," said Mr Paul. He says two staff members from the nearby Westgate Kids Club brought a first aid kit to tend to the boy, and a doctor from a clinic one level down came up to assist as well.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) confirms it received a call on the incident at 6:05pm, and says the boy suffered a cut to the back of his head and reported having neck pains.
He was sent conscious to the National University Hospital, accompanied by his mother and mall staff.
A spokesperson for Westgate mall says the boy was swinging the glass door the time of the accident. "Our investigations revealed that the boy had over-extended the glass door when he swung it, causing it to hit the door frame and shatter," said Ms Mandy Chiu, the marketing communications manager for Westgate in a statement to Channel NewsAsia.
The boy remains in hospital for observation, but is in stable condition. "We wish him a speedy recovery, and continue to extend our help to him and his family," said Ms Chiu.
The mall's contractor will be conducting safety checks on its glass doors and panels overnight, to prevent a recurrence of such an incident.

The boy playing with the glass door? WTF is wrong with the caregiver.

• Praise 6

Poor boy must have suffered great shock under the glass panel, hope he is okay with light abrasion

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

From the video, the boy deserve it.

not management fault.

shd claim the parents for the door.

easily 1 to 2k

• Praise 8

not management fault.

easily 1 to 2k

But my question is who is the one recording with the handphone and capture the whole accident even before it falls ?

But my question is who is the one recording with the handphone and capture the whole accident even before it falls ?

CCTV camera from the mall..

All old man never see the title on the video itself.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

The boy kept playing with the door and the door probably got fed up and just said "I've had it with you idiot, take this" and the glass came crashing down. I don't blame the kid. It's the useless parenting.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 8

Turbocharged

The boy playing with the glass door? WTF is wrong with the caregiver.

yes, why boy was allowed to play with the door? even if door didnt fall down, wat if limbs get caught accidentally at the hinges? sometimes parents really no brains [hur]

• Praise 2

not management fault.

easily 1 to 2k

i would say it's the parents' fault for allowing the child to mess around with the door. can you elaborate on why do you opine that the 4-yr-old deserve this, when he's too young to fully understand the potential danger of his own action?

yes, why boy was allowed to play with the door? even if door didnt fall down, wat if limbs get caught accidentally at the hinges? sometimes parents really no brains [hur]

kids fingers getting caught between closing doors is a very real danger. they are always so fascinated by swinging/opening/closing doors for some reason. i never allow my kid to mess around with doors at home or outside, period.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 2

I always warn my little cousins and nephews not to stand close to glass window and lean on the glass.

Let alone play with glass door...

By the way OT abit, got one time i was having dinner in westgate, then the auto door leading to outdoor area at level 4 cannot open, then i use force to open, seems faulty.

And in vivocity got auto glass door suddenly shattered by itself, lucky no one injured. I witnessed the incident by myself!

not management fault.

easily 1 to 2k

Lucky got bideo

If not parent sue the mall

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Lucky it was a tempered glass and it fall in one piece! Thank goodness the management uses an expensive tempered glass door

Imagine it shattered into pieces and all comes raining down onto the small boy.

The parents should be shot.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5