Kindly educate on opening car doors

Icedbs

Turbocharged

All cars owners can and SHOULD take extra care when opening their doors but it is inevitable that you will get surface damages sooner or later.

Resistance is futile.

I try to park my car in those individual carpark lots in my own mscp still got 10-20 such dings. But unless your car never travel out and stays in the lot all the time, you will still get dings here and there. Accidents do happen.

Like everything in life, I believe it has to work both ways.

We need to be careful where we park, but other drivers also need to be careful when they open their doors.

The thing is, I find educating this is so simple, yet not many does it. They only educate others not to slam their own doors.

↡ Advertisement

blame the govt for drawing such a small lot.

nowadays cars getting bigger in size.

I love the parking lots at the shopping centre beside buona Visa MRT

They draw the car park lots and leave a parallel space in between both ways (Thumbs Up)

Confirm. For 2 door car, it is even more difficult to get in or out.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

that is why i drive an old car.

dent also not so heart pain.

think of it this way, it is just a chunk of metal and plastics at the end of 10 years. not something you are gonna be keeping for your grand children.

so live and let live.

that way, you won't be so upset when you see a dent. or a scratch for that matter.

Cuss and swear about it. sleep it off and tomolo is another day.

Bro....I don't feel anything either when I see a new dent or two. I am immune to such thing.

But doesn't mean it is right or it's something inevitable.

It is like we are immune already seeing people litter. But that doesn't mean it is right to litter and we don't educate that.

Edited by Icedbs

Hi all,

May urge every MCF members here to educate their friends, colleagues, kids, relatives, spouse, in-laws, etc when come to opening car doors. Kindly tell them to open slowly and not to hit their doors onto the cars parked beside them. This is really an act of being considerate and civilised, and such values should start from simple acts such as this.

Many car owners suffers unnecessary dents, dings, scuffs, scratches, etc all because of inconsiderate people when opening their car doors. It is not difficult to open slowly and avoid banging their doors onto the car parked beside. If everyone can do this mindfully, our driving stress will cut down a notch because we know we have considerate drivers around us who will take care of our parking environment.

Thanks and please spread the word.

Am very considerate always, and also educate my family.

I even have rubber stoppers to prevent my car doors damaging other cars.

But as usual, in this society, 好人難做.

You are kind and considerate but others are totally opposite.

My wife's car full of dings.

• Praise 1

In Vancouver, you can claim other's insurance provided that you can prove that the dent is caused by the other car.

And in some parts of USA, you drive a scrap car when there is no value, during hail storm, park in open. Once the car collected more than I think 20 dings, can claim for total lost at a higher value than scrap.

In India, no worries. You pay for own damages while the other party pay for his.

Could it be parking issues?

[sweatdrop]:D[:p]

Turbocharged

I think we need to educate drivers how to park properly too. some are so bad at aligning that they leave so little space for others to open the doors.

I feel like giving this type of idiots a hard kick on their doors! [smash]

I agree that we can be more considerate as a whole, but sometimes also bo pian. Not helped by the fact that many parking lots in Singapore are f***king small.

For me my own car very old already, so it doesn't matter. We do our own part, but we can't control the actions of others.

• Praise 2

Wah low.....I have no stress over such things having been driving for 2 decades.

But that does not mean we choose to accept it when it can be totally avoidable. More so when all it takes is just being considerate. If this is just a minor issue among a minor crowd, then no problem. But I am seeing such inconsiderate acts being very rampant thesedays.

2 days ago, I saw a driver opening his door so hard that it hit the Altis parked beside him. I was at the opposite parking bay. I walked over and tell him nicely that he could have open it softly without banging the car beside him. It left a small dent on the Altis door. I asked him how would he feel if the dent is on his door. He didn't answer and drove off. I think he knew what I meant.

The driver probably just think you [hur] don't want to entertain you.

Being considerate is come from the heart leh.. even if you waste as much saliva as our kallang river, an inconsiderate person remains as it is.

Myself always remind the passengers to be careful when opening the doors..

another type is those passengers slam your car door heavily! [bigcry]

but mine is cheap car. to some, it may not even be a car.. so suck thumb lor..

• Praise 1

Same, I too gave up on the number of small car door dents I have...

Should should see the handbag scratch I got from my rear passenger side door to the front seat.. Faint..

• Praise 1

Can't possibly avoid? Well I always avoid hitting other cars!

It is really a matter of being careful and considerate. It's not a universal law that our door must always hit other cars when we open them.

Many times even you are considerate and careful, but there are tons of people out there who are not careful and considerate, which eventually contribute the dents on your car door.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Am very considerate always, and also educate my family.

I even have rubber stoppers to prevent my car doors damaging other cars.

But as usual, in this society, 好人難做.

You are kind and considerate but others are totally opposite.

Bro....I have no doubt that you will be pretty delicate over such things.

Simply because you are a watch lover .... :D

I tend to notice that people who love luxury watches or finer things in life are very delicate when handling expensive equipments and objects. They understood the pain of "mishandling" whether it is on their own or others. I have another friend who is into collecting pens and he too is very careful when driving (too careful sometimes, I think) and opening his door.

Edited by Icedbs

Hi all,

May urge every MCF members here to educate their friends, colleagues, kids, relatives, spouse, in-laws, etc when come to opening car doors. Kindly tell them to open slowly and not to hit their doors onto the cars parked beside them. This is really an act of being considerate and civilised, and such values should start from simple acts such as this.

Many car owners suffers unnecessary dents, dings, scuffs, scratches, etc all because of inconsiderate people when opening their car doors. It is not difficult to open slowly and avoid banging their doors onto the car parked beside. If everyone can do this mindfully, our driving stress will cut down a notch because we know we have considerate drivers around us who will take care of our parking environment.

Can't really blame the ppl here for their uncivilised and inconsiderate behaviour, most parking bays here are just a a bit undersize. [;)]

• Praise 2

Hi all,

Another way to look at those dents and dings maker. In a way, they are helping the economy.

Without them, shops like PDR will be out of biz.

[laugh]

Edited by Fcw75

Could it be parking issues?

[sweatdrop]:D[:p]

Nope, as mentioned, educated.

I also educate my kids not to swing door open and wait for adults to open for them also for safety reasons.

I hv experienced many times Family cars and MPVs passengers swing the car doors without batting an eyelid...

Turbocharged

Can't really blame the ppl here for their uncivilised and inconsiderate behaviour, most parking bays here are just a a bit undersize. [;)]

That can be a factor, but since we can't help but to live with the size of the lot at least for now, we can however change our behaviors to be at least more careful.

There was once at Thomson plaza, I saw this guy with a whole trolley of groceries going into the car park. There are some sharp edges sticking out from his trolley on its side. He could take a longer walk to his car, but he try to squeeze his trolley between cars in order to short cut the walk. I saw some of those edges rubbing across the doors of some cars. I shouted at him from far, ran towards him and told him that his items are sticking out and rubbing the other cars. He was apologetic and I helped him to quickly re-arrange his items. However, some scratches were already done on the car beside. [bigcry]

Not the parking lot undersize la, it is the cars people drive now have upsize.

simple solution = buy cheap Japenis car. These are made of thin, soft and bouncy sheet metals. Any knocks (unless severe hard bang), it collapses in and rebounds back. That's my observation. No dents and dinks except some minor scratches.

Singapore carpark lots are too small & cars are too expensive...

The first ding is always the most painful... After a few you won't be bothered.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3