This is the redesigned new-for-2015 KIA Sorento.

ren_yeo

That's quite poor for a turbo diesel IMO... especially since you're driving 60-70% highway - is the highway very clogged up with traffic when you use it? That may explain the rather higher than expected fuel consumption?

I think you mean NOx and PM2.5?

I think for such a heavy vehicle, the fuel comsumption of 12 to 13 km/litre is acceptable.

Yes, I mean NOx and PM2.5.

↡ Advertisement

Kia Sorento 2.2 SX CRDi

Kerb weight: 1.9 tonnes

Engine capacity: 2.2 L turbodiesel

Power: 197 bhp (103 bhp per tonne)

Torque: 441 Nm (232 Nm per tonne)

Renault Fluence 1.5T dCi Privilege

Kerb weight: 1.3 tonnes

Power: 110 bhp (84 bhp per tonne)

Torque: 240 Nm (184 Nm per tonne)

In terms of power and torque it's far superior to the Renault Fluence leh... this car returns 17 km/L... so I was quite surprised that the Sorento didn't do better than 12 km/L... definitely not the same level as the smaller car but perhaps 14 km/L?

Supersonic

Bro...Sorento sibei big & heavy w AWD. 12km/L damn freaking good liao. I used to get around 9-10km/L on mine. For the kinda power & torque, that’s very acceptable. Try driving the 2.5L XC90. Underpowered and 5-6km/L not unheard of

just don't understand why compare orange to apple. You must compare apple to apple. Further Renault is a 2WD only. Also, depend on the foot.

Edited by Black6

I also test drive the Renault Fluence. No much power although fuel comsumption is good. SORENTO is big and heavy but powerful. I loaded the car with my family of 5 and with the sale manager, the car speed up without much effort as compare with the Renault.

Bro...Sorento sibei big & heavy w AWD. 12km/L damn freaking good liao. I used to get around 9-10km/L on mine. For the kinda power & torque, thatâs very acceptable. Try driving the 2.5L XC90. Underpowered and 5-6km/L not unheard of

Wah... that's really bad...

I also test drive the Renault Fluence. No much power although fuel comsumption is good. SORENTO is big and heavy but powerful. I loaded the car with my family of 5 and with the sale manager, the car speed up without much effort as compare with the Renault.

With 441 Nm... must be a real hoot to drive... pity I can't afford it... ha ha...

what is the package they offered you? can PM me

No need to PM. The package price they offered is exactly as per what is stated on their price list... ie $142,999.

Neutral Newbie

Kia Sorento 2.2 SX CRDi

Kerb weight: 1.9 tonnes

Engine capacity: 2.2 L turbodiesel

Power: 197 bhp (103 bhp per tonne)

Torque: 441 Nm (232 Nm per tonne)

Renault Fluence 1.5T dCi Privilege

Kerb weight: 1.3 tonnes

Power: 110 bhp (84 bhp per tonne)

Torque: 240 Nm (184 Nm per tonne)

In terms of power and torque it's far superior to the Renault Fluence leh... this car returns 17 km/L... so I was quite surprised that the Sorento didn't do better than 12 km/L... definitely not the same level as the smaller car but perhaps 14 km/L?

I don't think any SUV can reach 17km/l in real life, except hybrid. Small crossovers not counted (even counted, I doubt they can. Haven't driven one myself but can't be that much different in Singapore's traffic condition).

I drive a lot of highway 80%, sometimes will get 14 km/L. Mine with AWD.

On normal 60% highway, 12-13km/L is normal for me.

Anyway, comparing Fluence and Sorento is pointless to begin with, these are very different cars in terms of weight, wheel size, AWD, gearbox etc.

But if we paid >140K for Sorento, I don’t think most owners will be bothered with the marginal difference of FC. Diesel is still cheap and is the best way to power the car of such build. One of the best product offer for SUV if you know more about diesel.

• Praise 1

I drive a lot of highway 80%, sometimes will get 14 km/L. Mine with AWD.

On normal 60% highway, 12-13km/L is normal for me.

Anyway, comparing Fluence and Sorento is pointless to begin with, these are very different cars in terms of weight, wheel size, AWD, gearbox etc.

But if we paid >140K for Sorento, I donât think most owners will be bothered with the marginal difference of FC. Diesel is still cheap and is the best way to power the car of such build. One of the best product offer for SUV if you know more about diesel.

Well I think your fuel consumption sounds about right for SUV...

Well I think your fuel consumption sounds about right for SUV...

I beg to defer that the FC sounds right. FC is heavily influenced by the power and weight of a vehicle. Taking the Kia Sorento 2WD as an example, the Petrol version (at 2.4l) cannot achieve the 12-13km/l FC as compared to the Diesel version (at 2.2l), even though the diesel is slightly heavier.

When comparing FC, driving style, road condition, tyre pressure, type of tyres and wheel size all plays a part. We cannot use a sweeping statement or cherry pick information to make assumption.

• Praise 1

I beg to defer that the FC sounds right. FC is heavily influenced by the power and weight of a vehicle. Taking the Kia Sorento 2WD as an example, the Petrol version (at 2.4l) cannot achieve the 12-13km/l FC as compared to the Diesel version (at 2.2l), even though the diesel is slightly heavier.

When comparing FC, driving style, road condition, tyre pressure, type of tyres and wheel size all plays a part. We cannot use a sweeping statement or cherry pick information to make assumption.

I think you can't compare a petrol and diesel engine for fuel consumption...

When I said the fuel consumption sounds right for a SUV - what I meant was sounds right for a diesel powered SUV of that size... not for any SUV... certainly a petrol powered SUV of this size and engine capacity will never get double digit fuel consumption figures...

I think you can't compare a petrol and diesel engine for fuel consumption...

When I said the fuel consumption sounds right for a SUV - what I meant was sounds right for a diesel powered SUV of that size... not for any SUV... certainly a petrol powered SUV of this size and engine capacity will never get double digit fuel consumption figures...

Again, I beg to differ with the statement “sounds right for a diesel powered SUV”. When comparing FC (even when narrowing it to diesel SUVs), you also have to take into consideration driving pattern, driving style, load of vehicle, tyre size, and tyre pressure. In fact, there isn’t a “right” FC, that is why comparing of FC of different drivers even for the same vehicle over the same route can give very different results. Diesel vehicles are notorious for higher consumption when left in idle (traffic jams) which great affects FC. That is why using a sweeping statement like “sound right for a SUV” or “sounds right for a diesel powered SUV” when comparing FC should be avoided at all cost.

• Praise 1