Rim recommendation for new harrier

beef331994

Recently went down to Leong Seng to view new rims, quite a lot of designs and if ordered from Japan, will take less than a month to come in. Btw, I booked the Harrier as well but expected delivery in Feb 15, hence still have time to check around. Cheers.

Me too dont think can wait that long after booking! Any reason? is it special indent highest spec?

Anyway, 6 mths in my opinion, is a too long to wait for a new car delivery especially from PI.

Besides COE changes, if Borneo motors decided to bring in this model (not likely but not impossible), potential buyer will be in a better position to decide which harrier will give more value for money.....PI will not monopoly this model and therefore the price will likely drop (or specs go higher).

PI too can close shop in 6 mths (in the past)

Should try to source for PI that can deliver ASAP.

Hope your deposit is minimum - just in case. Be careful and check them often.

Or at least lock in the "trade in" value of existing car - which will depreciate in 6 mths.

Sometimes, they may want your car earlier and loan you a substitute pending new car arrival - you decide whether you mind the hassle.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi guys,

Thank you to all the pros that have me advice.

The more I read into tyres and wheels the better the stock option seems.

I understand that increasing the total(wheel plus tyre) diameter will affect the speedometer and odometer reading. Furthermore increasing tyre width and rim diameter will affect suspension geometry, reduce acceleration, and decrease comfort.

I've a few questions I hope you guys can help answer.

Let's assume that I upsize from 17 to either 19 or 20 and try to keep the total diameter the same. I'm positive all the above effects are real but may I know whether they are noticeable in normal everyday driving. Especially for the suspension, acceleration and comfort.

As for the odometer and speedometer, the shop will not alter these two right?

A lot of tyre shops say I need to increase my tyre width too but I don't understand why. Any ideas?

Assume I go along with them and increase, should I aim for my diameter to be slightly smaller(more km travelled than odo shows) or slightly larger(less km travelled than odo shows)

Also what would be a good tyre size? In terms of ride comfort, quietness, performance and cost( try to be 1k +/- $200)

Thank you once again to all of you out there that read and help me out

331994 my suggestion you stick with your Original 17"

or you ask Toyota in Japan upsize to Toyota original 18" with tyre (don't do it locally by your dealer because you will likely fitted NON original Toyota wheel)

upsizing from 17 to 18/19/20

19 and 20 will make you feel significantly the loss of power or drag and drink more petrol for sure

by putting a lighter weight (subjective) may reduced the increased of consumption

as for odometer/speedometer will be slight deter if you use

235/55/18 / 235/60/18 / 235/55/19

don't overly worry about the meter reading.

base on your budget is hard to find good tyre for 18 inch and up

• Praise 1

331994 my suggestion you stick with your Original 17"

or you ask Toyota in Japan upsize to Toyota original 18" with tyre (don't do it locally by your dealer because you will likely fitted NON original Toyota wheel)

upsizing from 17 to 18/19/20

19 and 20 will make you feel significantly the loss of power or drag and drink more petrol for sure

by putting a lighter weight (subjective) may reduced the increased of consumption

as for odometer/speedometer will be slight deter if you use

235/55/18 / 235/60/18 / 235/55/19

don't overly worry about the meter reading.

base on your budget is hard to find good tyre for 18 inch and up

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. Asking Toyota japan to help me upsize is not possible as the car is alr in SG. For the loss of power and drink more petrol, i understand i cannot escape from that, but what i want to know is how you define significant. (PS i know damn hard to define but maybe like say: "1 sec more to your century run"? haha)

Thank you again for your help

LOL You seemed torned between what you desire vs some 'negative' concerns

Let's see the harrier site is
http://toyota.jp/harrier/003_p_001/spec/equipment/gasoline/photo/

And if you use this tyre calculator:
http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=225-65r17-235-50r19
you could use
235/50/19
245/50/19
The concern is whether the wider tires can fit in nicely
What I see from the site,
Grand is using 6.5"
Elegance 7"
Premium 7.5"
All of which I feel a bit 'skinny' for Harrier. Harrier is muscular and sporty, should look like that too LOL

And some readup about wheels
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=108
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=90

If it were me, I'd follow my heart and go with the upgrade to 19 inch setup

Given the higher centre of gravity for the Harrier, I would use wider wheels for better handling
17" inch would be looking small for size of the Harrier

Since upsized tyres are heavier, I would use lighter weight rims to offset
Keep the rotating mass lighter would give better handling and acceleration
Some say wider contact with the roads may be more noisy. Then I would use comfort/quiet tires

If it were you, what would it be .....
Harrier is a very nice looking SUV
All the best

Edited by Knight

notice the japan site show

225/65/17 6.5 inch rim width?

225/65/17 7 inch

why above tyre same size but rim width diff?

235/55/18 7.5 inch

I guess you got to find the right rim width and offset to put on your this RX car

Hi guys,

Thank you to all the pros that have me advice.

The more I read into tyres and wheels the better the stock option seems.

I understand that increasing the total(wheel plus tyre) diameter will affect the speedometer and odometer reading. Furthermore increasing tyre width and rim diameter will affect suspension geometry, reduce acceleration, and decrease comfort.

I've a few questions I hope you guys can help answer.

Let's assume that I upsize from 17 to either 19 or 20 and try to keep the total diameter the same. I'm positive all the above effects are real but may I know whether they are noticeable in normal everyday driving. Especially for the suspension, acceleration and comfort.

As for the odometer and speedometer, the shop will not alter these two right?

A lot of tyre shops say I need to increase my tyre width too but I don't understand why. Any ideas?

Assume I go along with them and increase, should I aim for my diameter to be slightly smaller(more km travelled than odo shows) or slightly larger(less km travelled than odo shows)

Also what would be a good tyre size? In terms of ride comfort, quietness, performance and cost( try to be 1k +/- $200)

Thank you once again to all of you out there that read and help me out

suggest you stick with your Original harrier rims,

spend so much $$ and sacrifice FC,acceleration and comfort to gain only fierce look, not worthy,

Edited by Quantum

notice the japan site show

225/65/17 6.5 inch rim width?

225/65/17 7 inch

why above tyre same size but rim width diff?

235/55/18 7.5 inch

I guess you got to find the right rim width and offset to put on your this RX car

good eyes

translated, the table says

225/65/17 6.5 steel wheels

225/65/17 7 aluminium wheels

235/55/18 7.5 alloy wheels

and to share with TS

when the toyota harrier g sports concept made its debut at the 2014 tokyo auto salon it was wearing 235/50/19

google the images. g sport version very very nice.

my personal take is that suv goes a little rolly polly when making turns

so wider tires can help

for me, if can fit, i will get 235 on 8 or 245 on 8.5

choose the basic setup 225/65/17 6.5 and then upgrade when car comes

choice of tires affect ride quite a bit too

Edited by Knight

good eyes

translated, the table says

and to share with TS

when the toyota harrier g sports concept made its debut at the 2014 tokyo auto salon it was wearing 235/50/19

google the images. g sport version very very nice.

my personal take is that suv goes a little rolly polly when making turns

so wider tires can help

for me, if can fit, i will get 235 on 8 or 245 on 8.5

choose the basic setup 225/65/17 6.5 and then upgrade when car comes

choice of tires affect ride quite a bit too

Hi bros,

Again, thanks for the help. But could you guys explain the 6.5/7/7.5 in this:

I went to leong seng with my dad. And tried to discuss with the person there and the guy ask us to go 20. So in the end we went 255/45-20. Then I was like the deviation is 1.82% can meh? But the guy say their threshold is 3%. I'm not really a technical person so I also dunno how to reply. But now deal close alr I can only hope for the best.

I also asked about 245/50-19 as what knight suggested but the guy tell me the tire doesn't exist. Then I'm like wth?! And the tyre he suggest for me was of a big deviation above 3%. I cannot remember the exact model though.

But overall shopping at LS was not bad, although we cheapo car go there, they never show attitude so props to them.

I know FC confirm go down the drain, hopefully ride comfort will not be compromised.

But thanks for all your combined inputs. I learnt a lot through this. And hopefully this thread can give those new harrier owners good info. Thanks to all the bros who help me along the way! Really appreciate it

Less sidewall to flex surely your ride comfort will suffer. Looks like whoever attended to U at LS doesn't have your interests. 20 sure damn hard, almost regardless of tyres u buy. But deal closed liao so no point saying much anymore. Just enjoy the good looks (I hope u bought good looking rims) and buy some cushions for the seats.

Hi bros,

Again, thanks for the help. But could you guys explain the 6.5/7/7.5 in this:

Hi bro, just sharing my views on this. The number you are referring to in this case is the width of the rims. I'm using a 16 x 7jj rims. A larger number indicate a larger width but have to go together with the tyre profile and the rim size as well. For your situation, i find the 235/55 18 with 7.5jj nicer and is able to give a better aesthetic appeal.

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to cars and am looking for some help from all you professionals in this forum. I apologize in advance if I ask stupid questions.

Recently me and my dad decided to purchase the harrier as a family car and we would be interested to change a set of rims. My current set is 17 inch, 225/65/R17. I have a couple of questions I hope you guys could help me answer.

What is the maximum rim size I can upsize to?

What is the recommended size I upsize to?

I checked the calculator for the tire size if I actually upsize to 19 inch, is the calculator reliable?

What are good rim colors to fit the pearl white harrier?

What brands do you guys recommend? From what I read, ppl recommend bbs, enkei, rays, vossen etc. they also said some brands like ssw are not reliable because of the way they are made?

May I know how much would my rims and tires be worth if I trade them in immediately when I get the car?

Lastly, may I know where is good to check out rims? I really want to see the rays(volks) but I would love to see a wide variety at awesome prices.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and sorry for asking so many questions.

Original is best for your case ... You just have the New Car Syndrome now ... Everyone goes through this phase ... [nod]

Bear with it for a while ... The Itch will gradually disappear ...

Edited by Chowyunfatt

suggest you stick with your Original harrier rims,

spend so much $$ and sacrifice FC,acceleration and comfort to gain only fierce look, not worthy,

I second this guy opinion lor.

Harrier is a comfort based vehicle. If I am not wrong, you likely bought the 2.0 NA? Stick with the stock comfort and acceleration. Why spend more money to get worse fuel consumption and comfort? And tyre change more expensive.

Unless looks is #1 most important to you.

↡ Advertisement