How long does it take for your engine oil to reach optimum..

Zippaboy

Car owners with an engine oil temp gauge.

On a cold morning, maybe can you share how long does it typically take for your car to reach optimum operating temperature of > 90deg ?

I am not referring to the water temp gauge, that warms up much faster though.

Reason i am asking this is because when your engine get the most wear and tear is always during the initial startup.

The engine oil doesn't thin enough to really get into the minute places of our modern tight tolerances' engines.

in fact, using a w20 or w30 engine oil might be better than that w40 or w50 oil you are using.

at the same time save you the trouble of warming up the engine?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

On a cold morning, maybe can you share how long does it typically take for your car to reach optimum operating temperature of > 90deg ?

Reason i am asking this is because when your engine get the most wear and tear is always during the initial startup.

The engine oil doesn't thin enough to really get into the minute places of our modern tight tolerances' engines.

in fact, using a w20 or w30 engine oil might be better than that w40 or w50 oil you are using.

Bro think you got it backwards.

Oil is thin when cold so that it runs more quickly to different parts of the engine.

It gets thicker as it warms so that it provides better protection.

Oil is thin when cold so that it runs more quickly to different parts of the engine.

Bro, I think you got it backwards.

Oil is thick when cold, thin when hot.

Try removing engine oil when it's cold, it will not flow out from the oils slump plug as smoothly as when it's old.

• Praise 1

Wrong lah. Go read up on viscosity.

If I'm not wrong, it doesn't really matter. Modern full syn oils would leave some protection layer after the engine is off.

When u start the engine, u can actually drive off immediately. Just don't whack redline it.

• Praise 3

I think modern engines set conditions that help warm up engines faster on a cold start. Like running on a richer air/fuel ratio while idling at a higher rpm etc.

Let it gradually warm up by being light on the throttle while driving off. What you do not want to do is rev it to 3K rpm and stay there to warm up. Our climate still ok unlike colder countries. That's why we are using 5-15W engine oil. Colder countries have to use lower weight oil and anti-freeze. Their conditions are more extreme. Don't waste fuel by idling too long.

As for oil viscosity stay with the car maker's recommendations.

Do a search. This topic has been discussed many times.

Edited by Watwheels

That's why you should use an oil with a 5 or 10 wt rating when cold. By the way I do hope you know that the W refers to winter not weight.

Thanks for sharing. Yes I am referring to the number at the back.

5w20 or 0W20 instead of 5w40...

Better FC when using a 20 wt oil as well, engine seems to rev better.

If I'm not wrong, it doesn't really matter. Modern full syn oils would leave some protection layer after the engine is off.

When u start the engine, u can actually drive off immediately. Just don't whack redline it.

But yeah I wish to know how long will it reach the full operating temperature.

I am guessing at least 10mins....

Reason why I am asking is home to my workplace is less than 10mins of driving.

Will the engine oil sufficiently warm up ?

Those with the oil temp gauge will know how long it take from cold to > 90deg..

Edited by Zippaboy

Don't need to worry so much, In sg, you're not keeping the car for more than 10 years.

Doubt it can detoriate to wearing off the engine so badly before you scrap it.

I drive off immediately after starting. There are residue oil along the oil paths when you turn off your engine, and the oil have also coated the engine parts sufficiently. When your engine is turned on, the oil starts flowing again.

The car manufacturers had already taken all these into consideration when they designed the engine.

• Praise 1

Just pour in a bottle of Liquimoly Ceratec when you change your oil and you don't need to worry about wear to your engine.

Autobacs got promotion for it now. $44 for a bottle, cheapest so far.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 2

My 370z will take

18-20 km of driving to reach 90'c...but most oil can reach the top of the engine in less than a second after starting,anyway,our country is not that cold... :D no worries,your engine is strong enough...

Bro, I think you got it backwards.

Oil is thick when cold, thin when hot.

Try removing engine oil when it's cold, it will not flow out from the oils slump plug as smoothly as when it's old.

Oh ya ah.. My mistake.. old liaos haha..

Just pour in a bottle of Liquimoly Ceratec when you change your oil and you don't need to worry about wear to your engine.

Autobacs got promotion for it now. $44 for a bottle, cheapest so far.

That is very good buy. The lowest I bought was around $60.

We are not talking about racing on a race track where from the starting grid, it is red line on the word "Go".

As long as there's oil in the engine, just start and go. In our traffic we don't have chance to red line the engine anyway. So don't have to waste brain cells over the engine temperature nor warm up.

Only thing needs warming up is our body!

• Praise 2

That is very good buy. The lowest I bought was around $60.

Yep bro, very very good price. I bought 2 bottles.

↡ Advertisement