Singapore tit-for-tat will bite them back

Herz22

so now LTA got increase or no increase?? I remember yesterday CNA got flash a bit...

btw, why so many people keep bashing m'sian for complaining about the hike of cost?? they are also at the suffering end like us leh..

TBH, the increase of all these charges is only going to bring down the number of M'sians coming to singapore to work.. significant amount or not we are not sure until later date..

have those that bashes them thought of how we are going to make up for these jobs??

Myself, I prefer m'sian working here than any other FT.. afterall we share so much cultures...

• Dislike 1

Supercharged

Eastern Dispersal Link

The Malaysian government had wanted the EDL to be toll free so as not to burden the public and had also planned to takeover the EDL. But a two-year study by the government found that the cost of acquiring it would be to huge a cost, so has allowed the MRCB to start collecting tolls. This is the reason for the sudden increase imposed at the CIQ Complex at the Causeway.

More to come, less to spend

The result will be a reduction in workers’ disposable income, which the retail sector may start feeling the effects of within months. What will hasten the decline in sales for the retail industry is that the number of Singapore shoppers who head across during weekends and long holidays will start shrinking.

As to how much the Johor retail industry will fall is hard to say, but figures of 25 per cent and 40 per cent have been bandied about. This will be detrimental to the local industry, with the snowball effect being inevitable.

Need to raise wages

The number of Singaporeans buying properties in Iskandar and parts of Johor Bahru has been increasing, especially in the last few years. Iskandar has schools using Singapore curriculum, top-notch hospitals and other facilities, with extra security. This has raised the cost of living in Johor Bahru, making it hard for locals to cope and the situation will only get worse.

The state and federal governments also have to realise that Iskandar’s workforce, especially the lower levels, come from the locals and if the cost of living takes a chunk out of their salaries, these workers are likely to move elsewhere where their disposable income is greater.

Both levels of government have to find ways to make it easier for Johoreans to cope and at the same time boost Johor’s development. The wages in Iskandar need to be able to absorb the higher cost of living too.

Johor and Singapore can also discuss relocation of factories and offices in the island republic to Iskandar and other parts of Johor under special arrangements, with Malaysians then able to enjoy Singapore wages on Malaysian soil. At the rate things are going Johor Bahru is going to be an expensive city, maybe even more than Kuala Lumpur. If costs cannot be kept low, then wages should be higher. Otherwise, the Johor government will be stuck with a dying city.

Hmmm.... [:/]

so now LTA got increase or no increase?? I remember yesterday CNA got flash a bit...

btw, why so many people keep bashing m'sian for complaining about the hike of cost?? they are also at the suffering end like us leh..

TBH, the increase of all these charges is only going to bring down the number of M'sians coming to singapore to work.. significant amount or not we are not sure until later date..

have those that bashes them thought of how we are going to make up for these jobs??

Myself, I prefer m'sian working here than any other FT.. afterall we share so much cultures...

Dear anonymous,

You can interpret what I said as discrimination. but you can never deny the fact that the massive amount of similarities we have for the cultures are indeed true.

Besides the cultural similarities, have you thought of the fact that the benefit that we do not have to provide lodging for these M'sians that travel daily to our country and to fill up those jobs that many wouldn't want?

Now imagine these people, being replaced from any other countries. And we have to built accomodation for them etc.

There are many other benefits of M'sians coming to SG that I left out hoping that some may have discover it themselves.

In fact, how would I be discriminating if I were to support M'sians over all others? It is not like I am targeting any specific country.

Do let me know what you think after this post as I am very curious about what is your thoughts. Probably I am missing something.

If you want, you can junk me again and be anonymous too. I wouldn't mind a bit if that is how we can communicate.

Cheers!

Singapore built Garden by the Bay and many visitors are foreigners (I usually go Bedok Reservoir, not so atas), should we tax tourist arrival to pay for the billions spent? KNS, what logic that Causeway users need to pay for their EDL and Singapore cannot justify any increase in toll because Bukit Timah Expressway was build eons ago???

Seriously, like I mentioned earlier, if SG govt don't take, it will be taken by the MY govt, so tit for tat is the only way to go.

If thie higher toll and VEP work and both sides make a lot of money yet traffic jam is still as rampant as now, we will see a third crossing soon.

Singapore garmen not stupid... Less cars from Malaysia means less congestion here. Less sinkapoor cars go JB means less GST loss. More Malaysia workers live here means more GST and more $$ spent here, even propping up the rental market. If less Malaysia workers work here, we replace them with even cheaper ones from PRC, India, and the likes......

Only one that will suffer is JB.

• Praise 1

Need to raise wages

The number of Singaporeans buying properties in Iskandar and parts of Johor Bahru has been increasing, especially in the last few years. Iskandar has schools using Singapore curriculum, top-notch hospitals and other facilities, with extra security. This has raised the cost of living in Johor Bahru, making it hard for locals to cope and the situation will only get worse.

The state and federal governments also have to realise that Iskandar’s workforce, especially the lower levels, come from the locals and if the cost of living takes a chunk out of their salaries, these workers are likely to move elsewhere where their disposable income is greater.

Both levels of government have to find ways to make it easier for Johoreans to cope and at the same time boost Johor’s development. The wages in Iskandar need to be able to absorb the higher cost of living too.

Johor and Singapore can also discuss relocation of factories and offices in the island republic to Iskandar and other parts of Johor under special arrangements, with Malaysians then able to enjoy Singapore wages on Malaysian soil. At the rate things are going Johor Bahru is going to be an expensive city, maybe even more than Kuala Lumpur. If costs cannot be kept low, then wages should be higher. Otherwise, the Johor government will be stuck with a dying city.

:blink:

The malaysians, singapore prs that have been working here are smart enough to do their sums and then decide for themselves whether it is still worthwhile to continue their current arrangement.

End of the day, they'll figure out that they still make a profit, after all their pay in SGD gets multiplied 250% in malaysian ringgit.

Sure their profit now becomes smaller due to higher tolls - yet still a profit.

Compared to working in malaysia for lesser salary and lesser opportunities - since many working here are from the "less privilege" communities - I think they'll come to the conclusion that LL they'll still work here.

Even paying higher tolls, the lifestyles that they can maintain living in malaysia and working in singapore... much better off than if they were to become singapore citizen and stay in singapore, right?? [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria

LTA steps up enforcement of vehicle tolls and fees at Tuas and Woodlands checkpoints

SINGAPORE - The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has stepped up enforcement at the Tuas and Woodlands checkpoints against evasion of payment of Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) fees, fixed Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) fees and toll charges.

In a statement on Monday (July 25), LTA estimated that, between March and May, revenue loss was about 8 per cent of its total tolls and fees revenue.

Besides installing more signs leading to and within the checkpoints, LTA said it had increased the number of officers deployed for enforcement duty at both checkpoints by close to 20 per cent, to almost 100. The number will progressively go up if deemed necessary.

From Aug 1, a composition sum of $50 for motorists who evade the tolls and fees will be introduced, while repeat offenders will have to pay $100.

This is up from the $10 administrative fee payable today.

Motorists who do not pay the composition sum and who are then charged for tolls and fees evasion are liable on conviction to a fine of up to $1,000, or up to three months' imprisonment for the first offence.

LTA said it was also studying two other approaches to tackle the issue.

First, the possibility of amending the Road Traffic Act to prohibit the entry and exit of foreign vehicles with unpaid tolls, fees, taxes, penalties or composition sums.

Secondly, strengthening controls over the collection of fees and tolls for vehicles entering and departing Singapore.

It is also working with the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) on the feasibility of having ICA's drop-arm barriers lifted only when the motorist has paid all tolls and fees.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/lta-steps-up-enforcement-of-vehicle-tolls-and-fees-at-tuas-and-woodlands

Why need this?

It is also working with the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) on the feasibility of having ICA's drop-arm barriers lifted only when the motorist has paid all tolls and fees.

Cannot just have the custom officer see that the cashcard has been deducted before pressing the button to open the gantry? [confused]

think malaysia side is like that. once the toll is paid, the gantry will auto open, but officer may still be checking passports. definitely not acceptable by ICA standard

Why need this?

Cannot just have the custom officer see that the cashcard has been deducted before pressing the button to open the gantry? [confused]

custom officer pai mia. Need to check passport, need to check for suspicious looking people, now need to check cashcard  [laugh]

Productivity mah. In line with what the government is pushing all sectors to go towards. More work, same pay. [laugh]

Or alternatively...

We can employ another FT to sit beside each custom officer just to check the cashcard deduction....we can give an attas title: CCO Cash Card Officer. :D 

custom officer pai mia. Need to check passport, need to check for suspicious looking people, now need to check cashcard  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Supersonic

LTA steps up enforcement of vehicle tolls and fees at Tuas and Woodlands checkpoints

SINGAPORE - The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has stepped up enforcement at the Tuas and Woodlands checkpoints against evasion of payment of Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) fees, fixed Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) fees and toll charges.

In a statement on Monday (July 25), LTA estimated that, between March and May, revenue loss was about 8 per cent of its total tolls and fees revenue.

Besides installing more signs leading to and within the checkpoints, LTA said it had increased the number of officers deployed for enforcement duty at both checkpoints by close to 20 per cent, to almost 100. The number will progressively go up if deemed necessary.

From Aug 1, a composition sum of $50 for motorists who evade the tolls and fees will be introduced, while repeat offenders will have to pay $100.

This is up from the $10 administrative fee payable today.

Motorists who do not pay the composition sum and who are then charged for tolls and fees evasion are liable on conviction to a fine of up to $1,000, or up to three months' imprisonment for the first offence.

LTA said it was also studying two other approaches to tackle the issue.

First, the possibility of amending the Road Traffic Act to prohibit the entry and exit of foreign vehicles with unpaid tolls, fees, taxes, penalties or composition sums.

Secondly, strengthening controls over the collection of fees and tolls for vehicles entering and departing Singapore.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/lta-steps-up-enforcement-of-vehicle-tolls-and-fees-at-tuas-and-woodlands

They can deploy more people to collect money.

But when it comes to opening more booths, they have excuses like officers on holidays, etc, but collect money, suddenly everyone is available. Fk them.

• Praise 1

(edited)

They can deploy more people to collect money.

But when it comes to opening more booths, they have excuses like officers on holidays, etc, but collect money, suddenly everyone is available. Fk them.

No worries....

LTA will deploy all those 'fighting' enforcement officers at the checkpoints.

Refuse to pay, you will be challenge to a fist fight ... [laugh]

It is cheaper to pay then ended in a fight which you lost precious time attending court cases...... :D

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1