Xiaomi Box VS MiniX

bellboy

(edited)

@Ins1dious.

I do want to point out that you can't access subtitles of video files in your NAS via Kodi. At least from what i tried.

Tried that before. U need to use ES explorer and MX player. And MX player must require the subs to be named exactly the same as the video file.

You can't do the "xxx_eng/chinese/punjabi/etc.srt". It has to be "xxx.srt"

Thats cool. I have an AppleTV 4 which has Plex, DS Video and VLC installed.

Of those three... the lightest but most powerful app is VLC. It just doesn't have the bling of the other two.

It'll parse all the subs or provide links to opensubs if required.

I used to run Kodi on my AppleTV 2... but gave that away to a cuz when stupid Apple broke the AirPlay feature for jailbroken ATVs.

That's where a small HTPC or Mini or the new Intel boxes comes in. Just to run Kodi/Jarvis

Also considering the old Amazon Fire stick. Now selling for 40$. Useful for my prime videos as well

Edited by ins1dious
↡ Advertisement

Thats cool. I have an AppleTV 4 which has Plex, DS Video and VLC installed.

Of those three... the lightest but most powerful app is VLC. It just doesn't have the bling of the other two.

It'll parse all the subs or provide links to opensubs if required.

I used to run Kodi on my AppleTV 2... but gave that away to a cuz when stupid Apple broke the AirPlay feature for jailbroken ATVs.

That's where a small HTPC or Mini or the new Intel boxes comes in. Just to run Kodi/Jarvis

Also considering the old Amazon Fire stick. Now selling for 40$. Useful for my prime videos as well

i like using remote controls to watch tv.

I have wireless kb even one specially for HTPC but i hardly use it.

Yeah if u are tech savvy, almost anything can be a HTPC nowadays.

Supercharged

ha i've read the whole hwz thread on this box.

Thanks for the info. Mainly u are using it for what channels? Soccer?

Basically UBTV is what u are paying for.

Frankly the box's hardware is about 30 dollars only.

Discovery and nat Geo might be from another country one.

So i dunno if have chinese subtitles or not or somewhat dubbed over. Last time quite a few IPTV have this issue.

mainly use it for Star Movies HD from Taiwan and other Taiwan movie channels.

i prefer HDTV as it never lags or buffers. whereas UBTV just keeps buffering and skipping.

Soccer wise, I'd watch in on my PC via R7's site. Better quality.

mainly use it for Star Movies HD from Taiwan and other Taiwan movie channels.

i prefer HDTV as it never lags or buffers. whereas UBTV just keeps buffering and skipping.

Soccer wise, I'd watch in on my PC via R7's site. Better quality.

oh ok.

HDTV i think is just a version of HDP TV.

But good that it doesn't buffer for you. Maybe there is a dedicated server there.

Unboxing was done over the weekend.

The box comes with pre-installed apps, one of it is unique to the Unblock Tech Box - "UBTV".

It's free (if you don't think S$109.90 from QOO10) and no subscription is required.

UBTV is an IPTV that as about 300 over channels from the usual China, HK, Taiwan, Japan, Korea channels to Malaysia, Singapore,

Vietnam, Italy etc. So whatever channels you want from those paid subscriptions, definitely available.

Most of the channels are of decent quality, but definitely some buffering involved, though it could be related to the fact the box is

stored behind a glass cabinet.

UBTV also allows you to search for movies in the native app, like the rest of the apps the box has pre-installed, these movie apps are more like aggregators (think Yahoo News), it gathers all the streaming links from LETV, MangoTV, Youku etc and plays via the app.

There's about 6 apps like this which are pre-installed (QXTV, UVOD, Show TV etc), all have the same features, LiveTV, VOD for movies, variety shows and dramas.

Since my only comparison is the Viewqwest 4K TV box, I'd say this Unblock Tech box is faster than the VQ4K. Getting in and out of Kodi takes less time.

My only gripe is, which is for all the other 4KTV boxes, we might be paying more for that 4K logo on our boxes.

Able to watch Euro 2016 in english commentary and no lag?

Able to watch Euro 2016 in english commentary and no lag?

BBC or ITV stream when using a VPN is pretty good for me. It's not HD... the stream is in SD.

I gave up Mio two months ago cos it got too laggy for me. Too much buffering. They changed the router twice but the issue was never solved.

Here's a short video of the Albania-Swiss game I recorded for my cuz

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pxgioir52rskz2y/AACQjWMUWgOnBd0CXy4kA0uJa?dl=0

I watch cctv5 feed cos almost HD. Just that have to tahan stupid tiong commentary.

If at work. I use the sportek link posted by picnic biante earlier

Any one uses xiaomi or any smart tv?

Sorry to sound noob, I always use my laptop to watch online korean drama, this can be done on smart tv too?

Thinking of getting a xiaomi tv.

Sorry to sound noob, I always use my laptop to watch online korean drama, this can be done on smart tv too?

smart tv is just like an android box but more limited due to hardware limitations.

I've no idea though what are the specific limitations. But as usual with apps, u have to rely on the app provider/stream provider to be more reliable. I think websites there are a lot of streaming options. But with apps, it's much lesser.

Especially some of these boxes, their android OS maybe lagging behind, so sometimes the apps just can't run etc.

My android box is running on 4.4 when now is already 7.0 liao lol 

smart tv is just like an android box but more limited due to hardware limitations.

I've no idea though what are the specific limitations. But as usual with apps, u have to rely on the app provider/stream provider to be more reliable. I think websites there are a lot of streaming options. But with apps, it's much lesser.

Especially some of these boxes, their android OS maybe lagging behind, so sometimes the apps just can't run etc.

My android box is running on 4.4 when now is already 7.0 liao lol 

agree, i have one.................................................. white elephant  [laugh]  [laugh]

korean or any drama if stream via apps, there aren't many apps and usually 9 out of 10 not working. The box is good for movie through kodi though.

So i am still using my ipad to stream korean drama and kena nag for buying a white elephant  [laugh]  [laugh]

agree, i have one.................................................. white elephant  [laugh]  [laugh]

korean or any drama if stream via apps, there aren't many apps and usually 9 out of 10 not working. The box is good for movie through kodi though.

So i am still using my ipad to stream korean drama and kena nag for buying a white elephant  [laugh]  [laugh]

Even for kodi add-ons, u have to keep updating, trying new things. Frankly it's a hassle. Everytime good for 2-3 months, then need to update or change to another add on etc.

Frankly, now i just go back to downloading for my anime. At least i know it's there when i want to watch it. Unless it's something like movies which is still quite easy to stream.

• Praise 1

I have both, xiaomi box and smart tv.

My smart tv is Sony. It is useless. Only can install apps from Sony own selection. The only app I installed was youtube. Whenever I wana watch youtube videos on my big screen, that is great. Other than that, all the other apps that Sony selected does not interest me. [:|]

Xiaomi box, now a white elephant. Kodi does not work on it anymore. Those china apps, they remove CCTV5 sports from their selection. Only good for old old english movies and mandarin movies. [:|]

• Praise 2

Even for kodi add-ons, u have to keep updating, trying new things. Frankly it's a hassle. Everytime good for 2-3 months, then need to update or change to another add on etc.

Frankly, now i just go back to downloading for my anime. At least i know it's there when i want to watch it. Unless it's something like movies which is still quite easy to stream.

The Exodus does not work on my Kodi anymore. Kodi is still working cos I still can watch other addons like HGTV. I am using Kodi on my Mipad.

Any ideas why?

Supercharged

The apps i use on my LG smart TV is Toggle and Youtube.. 

The apps i use on my Android box is Kodi (mainly using Phoenix addon), Viki and Youtube... (somehow Toggle quality on my Android box not as good as the LG smart tv app)

The Exodus does not work on my Kodi anymore. Kodi is still working cos I still can watch other addons like HGTV. I am using Kodi on my Mipad.

Any ideas why?

I think few issues, (i'm also not particularly knowledgeable cos I'm getting bit sian of updating all these stuff)

1. Depending on your android OS, u may need to use SPMC if your android OS is older. If not have to use the Kodi v17 and above to support HD sources

2. The exodus add-on needs to be updated. U need to find the updated version from some repository.

Specto Fork is also another add-on which seems to be better or equivalent to exodus now.

I'm also using an outdated exodus version, so having problems as well.

• Praise 1