Section of Orchard Road to be closed

Mockngbrd

Supercharged

Please close Orchard Road permanently to all traffic.

I hate to be caught in a traffic jam there.

Close the road specially for you ah... if not close liao how you go in?

↡ Advertisement

Orchard Road is 'kind of boring'

The long-term answer, according to Minister for Trade and Industry (Industry) S. Iswaran, could be to go car-free and fully pedestrianise Orchard Road. Speaking at a tourism industry conference last Thursday, Mr Iswaran said reclaiming the road would create "a multi-purpose space where diverse and larger-scale experiential concepts can be introduced".

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/orchard-road-is-kind-of-boring

• Praise 2

Orchard Road is now a place for a certain group of foreigners to hang out with their dark skinned boyfriends, or for them to have picnic in a group.

Personally I have not been to orchard for personal leisure for as long as I can remember.

You're right. Everything is expensive there. Go there for what? Neighbourhood malls have mostly the same shops already.

Orchard takes pedestrian route to recapture traffic

In its effort to remain Singapore's premier shopping belt, Orchard Road may well undertake the next phase of its journey by foot.

The iconic street could become fully pedestrianised in the future to attract shoppers to its malls, while hosting lifestyle activities and events to keep the buzz alive.

While making the stretch completely car-free is a possibility in the longer term, the road will start to expand its pedestrian spaces before that, Minister for Trade and Industry (Industry) S. Iswaran said at a tourism industry conference yesterday.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/orchard-takes-pedestrian-route-to-recapture-traffic

Interesting, these chaps still think this is the way to bring people to Orchard Road. Orchard Road is now simply too expensive to eat and shop and park. That is the fundamental issue. 

• Praise 3

If they permanently close off Orchard Road, the whole stretch from Scotts road(Ion) to Handy road(Cathay).

1) Those smaller roads behind will jam like hell. Delivery of goods will be a nightmare.

2) Ppl going to Mt E/Paragon medical will complain, esp those rich ppl.

3) Then President and PM cannot going from front entrance of Istana, must use side entrance like all the staffs. [laugh]

4) CTE entrance and exit needs to re-routed. [dead]

5) Most of the shopping malls carparks will lose out on carpark income.

• Praise 1

Closing the road but people don't go into the building to spend also won't improve the business . Only a handful of shops at far east and lucky plaza are facing the main road. If u allow many pushcart to setup business there then those shops inside also not happy.

• Praise 2

I believe the motorbike ice cream business along the orchard road walkway should be quite ok as long no raining.

Only the 4d sg pools inside lucky plaza really can earn. people will automatically flock in to buy!!! me included!

Singaporean are spoilt lah.

There are a lot of closed streets in other cities.  How come ppl nvr protest?

Don't say it is temperate country hor.  Extreme heat/cold is the norm.

Rather than closing the entire street, btw scotts & Bideford from Friday 7pm to Sunday 12am would suffice.

More of the outbox idea is needed to revitalize Orchard Road.

Went to Ngee Ann at abt 7.30 on Friday night and left the place just before 9p.m.. I was surprised that the parking fee was only $4.23

Its sad to see the place with nary a soul, on a Friday night especially.

• Praise 5

Went to Ngee Ann at abt 7.30 on Friday night and left the place just before 9p.m.. I was surprised that the parking fee was only $4.23

Its sad to see the place with nary a soul, on a Friday night especially.

Becos they all went to Artbox. :XD:

• Praise 3

Supercharged

It just goes to show Gov is truly clueless what is the real underlying reason for the poor retail business in Orchard Road. 

Those with the spending powers to buy at Orchard Road will drive in. Are they expecting the rich tai-tai to be dropped off at places further away and walk down? 

Despite the hefty parking charges at malls in Orchard, most of the carparks are full during weekends. It is not as if the parking is cheap and ppl are parking in Orchard and going elsewhere for shopping. 

Closing off the entire Orchard Road is not going to help the retail business there. In fact, I think it will have a detrimental effect instead. It will only make ppl who can afford to drive-in and spend there to think twice about going in to Orchard Road because of the inconveniences. 

The retail business in Orchard is bad is due to a number of reasons. Change in purchasing habits:- more ppl are either buying online and simply buy outside of Singapore which is cheaper. Poor retail mix:- same shop just a few malls down the road. From Google maps, I can see at least 5 LVs, 4 Prada, 10 Hermes etc. It used to be there is only a few storefront for the big brands and these are flanked by the lesser known brand. Each mall used to have their own flavour. But now, all the malls are the same. No distinct identity. Malls are now available outside Orchard. There are malls within residential town center. It used to be like if we want to buy stuff from Istean, there's only Orchard. The bigger departmental stores are now available outside Orchard as well. It is a case of too many malls in Singapore.

• Praise 6

Orchard Road is now a place for a certain group of foreigners to hang out with their dark skinned boyfriends, or for them to have picnic in a group.

Personally I have not been to orchard for personal leisure for as long as I can remember.

You're right. Everything is expensive there. Go there for what? Neighbourhood malls have mostly the same shops already.

Yeah, and if bus / taxi / car cannot go into Orchard Road means all have to take MRT.

Orchard MRT is already operating at like 150% capacity during peak hours, if anything happen there its a stampede waiting to happen. 

Anyways, let all these highly paid talented people sort this out. I am simple Joe who cannot even understand petrol prices in SG so I better not say too much and do my shopping at IMM.  [:p]

Becos they all went to Artbox. :XD:

Or Malaysia ...  [laugh]

Other country make pedestrian mall cos they so successful, ppl spilling out. Sg wanto make pedestrian mall cos nobody wanto go. Satki

Mockngbrd- Really like your comment.

Putting the horse in front of the cart. Build and they will come.

Aka Singapore style.

• Praise 1

Go Orchard Rd shopping but cannot drive there? Not even taxis or PH?

How to lug back the bags of shopping done?

Thanks but no thanks. I stick to my suburb shopping malls.

Reason why shops there are dying is not because lack of tourist or foot falls. It's the lack of real money spending shoppers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5