Shock absorber change

Friedpiggy

Does changing front n rear shock absorber require any form of alignment or balancing?
I just bought a set of absorbers from stockist and looking for recommendations for place to change.

Also like to check if there s any decent panel beat spray paint ws in amk autopoint2 ? Don't need super good, just decent will do wig reasonable pricing. Need to do my front bumper that kiss the wall.

↡ Advertisement

After changing shock absorbers, you will need to redo your alignment and balancing.

Alignment yes.

Balancing is when u change tyres.

Some workshop do the side slip test if they don't have the computerized alignment machine.

(edited)

Just out of curiosity, if my current bushes don't have squeeky sound now, why would they become squeeky after absorber replacement? What's the rough cost of the rubber bushes like?

I read in another thread, there is rubber mount and rubber stops and now I hear rubber bush? Are they the same thing?

And which shops have computerised alignment ?

Edited by Friedpiggy

Does changing front n rear shock absorber require any form of alignment or balancing?

I just bought a set of absorbers from stockist and looking for recommendations for place to change.

Also like to check if there s any decent panel beat spray paint ws in amk autopoint2 ? Don't need super good, just decent will do wig reasonable pricing. Need to do my front bumper that kiss the wall.

Since you are taking the shock absorbers out for replacement, might as well replace the strut mountings and compression kit (the rubber stopper) as well. They don't cost significantly more but labourious to replace them individually in future.

Since you are taking the shock absorbers out for replacement, might as well replace the strut mountings and compression kit (the rubber stopper) as well. They don't cost significantly more but labourious to replace them individually in future.

Yup should get them changed at the same time.

I just did my absorbers over in JB but I brought along all the parts from SG (after clocking in 200k km [thumbsup] ). However I forgot to buy the front mountings so ended up have to re-used the existing but got the mech to grease them before re-assembling. The mountings cost a lot over in JB (quoted OEM RM268) and only cost around S$50 here for original Toyota. I also did my servicing plus wheel alignment and the total bill for labour was RM180.

Labour charges cost more than the rubber bushes. Rubber stops need to replace only if damaged/worn. Can go to AMK Autopoint 2. There is a shop at the U-turn corner. Elderly friendly man and his assistant can do good job at competitive rate.

Whats the name of the shop?

Yup should get them changed at the same time.

I just did my absorbers over in JB but I brought along all the parts from SG (after clocking in 200k km [thumbsup] ). However I forgot to buy the front mountings so ended up have to re-used the existing but got the mech to grease them before re-assembling. The mountings cost a lot over in JB (quoted OEM RM268) and only cost around S$50 here for original Toyota. I also did my servicing plus wheel alignment and the total bill for labour was RM180.

Mine 180k, so I would do the strut mounts and stoppers as well. I wonder if the auto parts distributor would know what i'm talking about if I do not have specific part numbers.

Very often will be questioned by malaysian customs when bringing stuff in, wanting to "tax" me.

So bringing so many stuff can be tricky. 4x Shock absorbers are quite large nowhere to hide. For a 100 dollars difference I would do in Sg.

found this thread. wanna ask the same questions for 2010 Kia Forte SX, going to 5 years in Jan 2015.

it is very bumpy, and noisy when going over uneven road surface. everybody in the car can feel hte car body moving lower suddenly if there is a hole, and moving upward suddenly if going over a raised surface.

if slightly faster over the bumps, the rear wheels has the squeaky sound.

does this mean shock absorbers need change? or some other suspension parts?

Can check with RDY Autocare? Your life worth more than 100 dollars.

Kindly do replace any worn/faulty shock-absorbers immediately. Just remember that car likely to crash without warning the next time we apply emergency braking, with worn/faulty shock-absorbers (like the recent truck hitting the tour bus in Hokkaido).

hi, since you know, is it shock absorbers to be replaced, based on my description?

the other parts of the suspension system should still be alright?

finally chg my rear shocks, stopper, n mount. clok clok sound during reverse n travel on paving blocks gone. now ride feels taut n almost like new (front set chg a year / 20+k km ago).

shocks oem mando - 70 / pc; stopper - 16 / pc (prev front one 20 / pc), mount - 35 / pc. labor 80. shop suggested alignment though i felt ok when driving.

Now learned that shocks damaged not only leak oil. My old shocks easy to depress but slow to recover, wc means inside cui.

But didnt not leak oil.

Now new shocks really make ur ride handles better n like new car, some more it's just the rear. Now effect is unlike previous where ride wobbled a bit more due to sinking / dampened shock, cornering also more stable / less roll.