Gentle suggestion to mods: go easy on the closing

1fast1

I've noticed some threads being closed because a particular topic or news link has already been posted in another thread. Most of the time, it's really obvious which thread it is, but sometimes it isn't. That little news link could be submerged in a gargantuan thread dealing with some other topic entirely.

Case in point: http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2696504-singaporean-in-worlds-top-10-earning-pastors-list/

That thread was closed because that post had apparently already been made in another thread. I wanted to follow up on this discussion. So I skimmed through the Lite and EZ subforum. Nothing obvious caught my eye. So I still don't know which thread had that particular discussion going.

I even went as far as to do a search for "pastor". I feel that I should never have had to do this just to follow a supposedly current topic that should've stood out on the forum index, but I did it anyway.

Here are the results of the search:http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?RPG=&app=core&DIS=&module=search&do=quick_search&req=&search_app=forums&search_content=titles&fullsearch=all&search_term=pastor

None of the search results save the locked thread have a newer post than late 2013, meaning that they couldn't be referencing a brand new news article. So I'm left wondering which thread the mod was thinking about.

Here are my gentle suggestions for our dear moderators:

1) Please go easy on closing threads as "duplicates". It's fine if it's an obvious dupe, but something as subtle as this, where the topic might be buried in another thread that started out discussing something else, is less clear-cut. Closing every single thread that *might* have *some* echo in another thread becomes oppressive if taken too far.

2) Even if you close, *please* link to the thread, or even better, the *actual post* (especially if buried in a large thread) that started out discussing the duplicate post topic.

3) And finally, wherever possible, *merge* rather than *close*. I understand there may be forum software limitations that hinder this, but if it's doable, then merging is far preferable to closing, especially when posters have taken pains to construct an argument about something to get the discussion going (behaviour we should be encouraging, rather than just having them link and submit).

I hope my suggestions are taken in the positive way they were intended. I have been a moderator on international fora before, so I do speak from experience. I am aware of the challenges facing moderators everyday - frankly, it's a thankless task - but having a lighter touch can do wonders for the general tenor of the forum. :D

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 17

Thanks for the highlight and apologies for not providing the link to the post that has already been made in another thread.

The thread was locked due to the discussion on that very topic didn't came out well hence we do not want it to spread the same topic in a new thread.

We will tag 'pastor' in that thread for reference search.

* first week on the job, still running through the guide [sweatdrop]

• Praise 13

Thanks for the highlight and apologies for not providing the link to the post that has already been made in another thread.

The thread was locked due to the discussion on that very topic didn't came out well hence we do not want it to spread the same topic in a new thread.

新官上任三把火!

Thanks bro for shouldering the additional burden, and please excuse my coming off as nitpicking. Just though I'd offer some constructive feedback. You're doing great as a mod! :D

now that thambi n the mods gib each udder hugs & kisses.......can close this thread? [:p]

Want a hug and a kiss, too, old man? :D

Well said, Mod :)

As the saying goes, you are a real man when you can admit mistakes :D

Point here is this platform at least for me am unable to merge the posts like the prev platform.

That said. I myself whn see links posted dun close the thread unless the thread blatantly is a photocopy starting the same thing. If the post is posted in a thread and another is opened then I will move that post over.

However this one was diff as it bordered on religion and that clearly goes against the rules here

Those who posted agreement here, some never did their due diligence in searching and I say again, would you like 3 of the same thread floating arnd ?

Let's work togr on this but your suggestion is valid nonetheless

speaking of which .. where is @Radx

eh go watch tennis can anot....wa lau...ppl must work oso u know.... [bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

Turbocharged

eh go watch tennis can anot....wa lau...ppl must work oso u know.... [bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

watching tennis is work?? zhun bo bro?