Which are your favorite SUVs / Crossovers?

Super7

If you are an ex- or current owner, or have driven, seen them.

Will crossovers be more popular in SGP driving environment in coming years?

Will you buy one for the experience and move to other types eg MPV, sedan, etc after it? Or stay with the type for as long as you could?

↡ Advertisement

My first ever "own" car was an SUV. After that I never bought an SUV. In my opinion, SUV has got only few and unique advantages over Sedan.

I do not think SUVs/COs will ever gain super popularity in Singapore. This makes sense also as we do not have "off-road" activities

My favourite SUV/CO as on today is Evoque. But Evoque does not have enough power yet, otherwise I would have bought this. This means that I do not mind switching back to an SUV anytime.

Supercharged

Now cos of job location, we opt for sedan. But if in 2 yrs time, COE not an issue will consider.

Just a qtn, older folks who hv stiff joint, r they btr off in sedan or xover if MPV is out?

Edited by Qpik
  • Praise 2

y'day just saw the latest Nissan Qashqai, proportion is nice and overall overseas review is good.

i also think if the yet to be launched (locally) Discovery Sport is priced decently then this will be one car an older 40 something will be keen in.

If you are an ex- or current owner, or have driven, seen them.

Will crossovers be more popular in SGP driving environment in coming years?

Will you buy one for the experience and move to other types eg MPV, sedan, etc after it? Or stay with the type for as long as you could?

wah bro, your topic and contents is not tally leh :D

My favorite SUV Porsche Cayenne (M), unfortunately I can't afford due to ridiculous COE system, the next best BMW X5, the next next best Land rover FL2 or XC60,

IMO SUV will not popular in SGP driving environment coming years and future, in general SUV is rich man's "toy" rather than a transport tool, in SGP COE system it's impossable popular in common, but will be popular in minority rich families as second car,

if COE drop to resaonable range (lets say 30k), maybe consider...... [:p]

• Praise 1

My favorite SUV Porsche Cayenne (M), unfortunately I can't afford due to ridiculous COE system, the next best BMW X5, the next next best Land rover FL2 or XC60,

IMO SUV will not popular in SGP driving environment coming years and future, in general SUV is rich man's "toy" rather than a transport tool, in SGP COE system it's impossable popular in common, but will be popular in minority rich families as second car,

I would take this baby over the Cayenne -

For truely serious off-roading it would have to be either the Rangie or the Landcruiser (not available here)

Naturally if you're really insane you can always try this South African Monsterhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRmT0iRic

• Praise 1

Topics and contents agar agar tally can do liao :-) thanks for telling anyway!

I feel there are different categories of SUV / X-over ie highend, mid-range, B&B (so to speak), even supercar makers may be also jumping on the bandwagon these days to make money

We can see many SUVs, X-overs on sgp roads today as compared with say 10 years ago! When my bro had his Vitara in the late 90s, it's considered quite rare but we see such SUVs almost at every corner we turn when B&B brands like Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Mazda, etc all offer one or more of such models.

But its still true that these vehicles are not really for the budget conscious owners. They consume more fuel, may be even cost more to maintain. In excahnge they offer "life style" motoring experience, whatever it means to the owner/driver.

For practical reasons, users who need extra 'cargo' space, these vehicles offer lots of it without looking like a 'dull' estate / wagon although these days some estates / wagons look even better than their sedan version.

From the smallest eg Terios/Rush, to the biggest eg Landcruiser, Grand Cherokee, Humvee2, 3, etc there's a model to suit the needs of the buyers.

So far i have driven a few, Vitara, Pajero, Landcruiser, Prado, Discovery, Defender, Sorendo, etc (borrowed/owned) and find them, naturally, less engaging on normal roads (ie dull) if we expect them to drive like normal cars. But the imposing presence give me a 'feel good' experience when I literally can look down on other cars/drivers.

Brute force and appearance are something not exactly negative.

Ya, Cayenne, and X5 etc are quite 'ultimate' in terms of driving experience over not too extreme terrains.

Now cos of job location, we opt for sedan. But if in 2 yrs time, COE not an issue will consider.

Just a qtn, older folks who hv stiff joint, r they btr off in sedan or xover if MPV is out?

my FIL rather sits in my stock getz over my BIL's lower Lancer EX. He stays stressful/tiring to get out & stand up. Getting in also must flex leg muscles to to tahan before getting seated. Yes, he has joint issues and is alos overweight.

On this basis, may be good for a rapidly aging population where sandwich children take care of againg parents. To get in, they just from semi standing position, shift into car. To get down, its somewhat like stepping out of car with not too much stress at the kness.

Also good for driver's visibility. SUV/COS, tend to have 'full hatch' rear, more crumber zone than a compact hatch. Being higher also means that when someone rears me, the rear car may hit & angle downwards....esp if the car kissing from the rear is a lowered car.

Also more personal space......on our dense roads. I thing Suzy's S-Cross is a little under-rated. All eyes are on Vezel....

Edited by Baal
  • Praise 1

My fav is the porsche cayenne or the BMW X6. The rest, not interested.

X6 my wife's dream car.......I told her not tis life time. But the stature damn macho though.

But friend who sat in said that the sloping roof is bad for rear occupants.So not good more inlaws. But again, they aint that tall, ....maybe 1 day....

koreans dont seem to have cat A SUV/COS, do they?

• Praise 1

X6 my wife's dream car.......I told her not tis life time. But the stature damn macho though.

But friend who sat in said that the sloping roof is bad for rear occupants.So not good more inlaws. But again, they aint that tall, ....maybe 1 day....

koreans dont seem to have cat A SUV/COS, do they?

The rear is what defines the X6. A bit low but the back is for children to sit in so I'm ok. The last time I test drove it, it was great. Handling was good for that size.

Saw a X6M the other day... driven by a woman [sweatdrop]

• Praise 2

The rear is what defines the X6. A bit low but the back is for children to sit in so I'm ok. The last time I test drove it, it was great. Handling was good for that size.

Saw a X6M the other day... driven by a woman [sweatdrop]

I have not driven Cayenne, X6, etc but always wonder with all the power, how fast / stable are they in corners??

I used to like Evoque as it is the only 2dr SUV i know. Now with 9 spd gb, it feels like a truck.

My first ever "own" car was an SUV. After that I never bought an SUV. In my opinion, SUV has got only few and unique advantages over Sedan.

I do not think SUVs/COs will ever gain super popularity in Singapore. This makes sense also as we do not have "off-road" activities

My favourite SUV/CO as on today is Evoque. But Evoque does not have enough power yet, otherwise I would have bought this. This means that I do not mind switching back to an SUV anytime.

237hp pushing 1.7 tonne. Not enough?

Mitsubishi Pajero - my all time favorite, up to now.

Yes!! Mine too.

It must be quite popular coz they also make a tiny 660cc K-Pajero just to ride on the popularity of the name!!

I used to like Evoque as it is the only 2dr SUV i know. Now with 9 spd gb, it feels like a truck.

237hp pushing 1.7 tonne. Not enough?

Quite enough!!!

Btw, why the 9 spd gb is making it go like a truck? Just curious.

↡ Advertisement