Gifted Education Programme

Solar

Unfortunately, some parents pushed their children in the GEP program (whether their children natural or not) because they look at it as boasting rights. That is so wrong. The poor kid suffer because of the parents.

That's right....

I think there is no problem for the kid if they are naturally talented. But if they are the kind who needs 10 different tutors just to keep up in class, then don't do it la.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

My wife and I have nothing against GEP. In fact we feel it is good to for those who want to learn more and not having to ‘dumb down’ to wait for others to catch up.

My daughter is, by nature, competitive and we took some effort to put her in an average school instead of sending her to my wife’s ala mater (I also didn’t send my son to my ala mater but for a very different reason) so she take her study easier and feel more readily to explore other aspect of her childhood eg. Playing with toys, baking, cooking, catching insect, playing football & rugby, etc. So we are not going to undo all that by putting into a GEP school. She has a lot more studying to do in future while her childhood is slipping away very quickly.

My neighbour’s kids transferred to a GEP school and seems happy....so it doesn’t mean going to GEP school = unhappy and stressful kids.

luckily i didnt introduce gep to my daughter......normal school which she is doing fine, she scored 3As and 1B for her prelim already stressed our family out! She has a high expectation of herself and my oc even have to intervene to calm her down and put her anxiety at ease. If intro gep.....i think it will be a bad thing!
  • Praise 1

Nothing to do with the kid. It's your relative for not inculcating the right values.

i think sometimes social intelligence is not easy to teach.

My girl is quite aloof in class one. Tried to do several things to change, but also end result is liddat.

Lol at least she has a best friend.

i think sometimes social intelligence is not easy to teach.

My girl is quite aloof in class one. Tried to do several things to change, but also end result is liddat.

Lol at least she has a best friend.

Depends how old the kid is. If 7 and above, the parents must teach. 5 and below will need more patience.

The kid have to maintain a passing mark of 70% to remain in the program. And, this is not mainstream paper which most can easily surpass that target. This is a more tricky exam set by MOE GE branch. That's why the textbooks are not available in shops. There are also no 10-year series test papers available for purchase to practice on. Unlike other school exam test papers which the student can bring home after their exams, the GEP test papers are not allowed to be brought home by the student. I know of some kids who do all subjects tuition just to maintain that score. Poor kid!

Depends how old the kid is. If 7 and above, the parents must teach. 5 and below will need more patience.

haha the parents are also introverts  [laugh]

The kid have to maintain a passing mark of 70% to remain in the program. And, this is not mainstream paper which most can easily surpass that target. This is a more tricky exam set by MOE GE branch. That's why the textbooks are not available in shops. There are also no 10-year series test papers available for purchase to practice on. Unlike other school exam test papers which the student can bring home after their exams, the GEP test papers are not allowed to be brought home by the student. I know of some kids who do all subjects tuition just to maintain that score. Poor kid!

this is only for primary school?

The kid have to maintain a passing mark of 70% to remain in the program. And, this is not mainstream paper which most can easily surpass that target. This is a more tricky exam set by MOE GE branch. That's why the textbooks are not available in shops. There are also no 10-year series test papers available for purchase to practice on. Unlike other school exam test papers which the student can bring home after their exams, the GEP test papers are not allowed to be brought home by the student. I know of some kids who do all subjects tuition just to maintain that score. Poor kid!

wah....tuition for all subjects! Normal school will do just fine...thank you!

this is only for primary school?

There is no GEP for secondary school. Some secondary schools may group the GEP students together in 1 or 2 classes and give them more challenging work or assignments but there is no GEP program for secondary school level.

Turbocharged

Mm..... maybe the times have changed but I thought gep helped my psle results.

I am surprised u rejected it... I did not send my kid to gep prep because I donât want her to try 100% for it. So even if her selection test result is a borderline pass, she still will be able to cope because she can up her effort.

Unless you are the kind that pushes your kid 100% for gep, else I donât see why not? Itâs probably easier for me cuz itâs the same school after gep

Yes, we didn't prep for it. In fact back then we got to know only after he told us he needed to take a test in another school, and we only found it it was GEP after asking around.

Apart of PSLE, we were also concerned about the heavy workload, need executive management skills and demand for self discipline.

We know our kid.. He is going to suffer, considering that he's also having aspergers.

We also spoke to the GEP advisor at open house.. They don't really have that kind of support for his condition.

Looking back.. It's probably a right decision. His mainstream school recognises and gives him many opportunities and exposure too, and still able to excel.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

The kid have to maintain a passing mark of 70% to remain in the program. And, this is not mainstream paper which most can easily surpass that target. This is a more tricky exam set by MOE GE branch. That's why the textbooks are not available in shops. There are also no 10-year series test papers available for purchase to practice on. Unlike other school exam test papers which the student can bring home after their exams, the GEP test papers are not allowed to be brought home by the student. I know of some kids who do all subjects tuition just to maintain that score. Poor kid!

I recall there are a few more examinable subjects in GEP.

Humanities and history?

There is no GEP for secondary school. Some secondary schools may group the GEP students together in 1 or 2 classes and give them more challenging work or assignments but there is no GEP program for secondary school level.

? Different from my time. Last time have leh ...

Nothing to do with the kid. It's your relative for not inculcating the right values.

it depends, i saw a family both parents are humble down to earth, their smart kid went from GEP to IP, the school elitism can influence or change a person over a period of time due to either peer or competitive nature.

Turbocharged

If you leave it to the kid, every kid will want to stay with their friends. I am surprised that gep has such bad press now. I have mostly good memories about my time in gep and most my peers seem to like it too. I think it is because of all those parents who drill average kids and make them join gep. When their kids feel stressed out, they have a bad impression of gep....

I donât remember having less free time in gep. I donât think we did more stuff, just more interesting stuff.

The GEP information booklet actually tried to set expectations to a point that it was painting a scary picture

haha the parents are also introverts  [laugh]

aiya, no point forcing an introvert to behave like an social animal, just like you cannot force an extrovert like me to shut up.  [:p]  [laugh]

Let her lead her life, she will find her own friends as she grow up.  ^_^

• Praise 1

it depends, i saw a family both parents are humble down to earth, their smart kid went from GEP to IP, the school elitism can influence or change a person over a period of time due to either peer or competitive nature.

Parents are down to earth or humble do not mean they are teaching their kids. It's different. Values must be imparted from a young age.

aiya, no point forcing an introvert to behave like an social animal, just like you cannot force an extrovert like me to shut up.  [:p]  [laugh]

Let her lead her life, she will find her own friends as she grow up.  ^_^

I'm introvert but i have no problems making friends in school from young to old.

My wife bit opposite, she can chat more easily with more people. But she don't have many firm female friends. Maybe cos her interests bit different from the average lady.

Yeah lah no pressure. But just that want to see her interact more with her classmates rather than the teacher.

I recall there are a few more examinable subjects in GEP.

Humanities and history?

Primary school don't have lah. Humanities and history only start in secondary school. Primary school only do :

1. English
  2. Maths
  3. Science
  4. Mother tongue, or higher mother tongue. Even then, mother tongue can skip for special cases; eg : returning Singaporeans or overseas students where they have not done our mother tongue languages, special needs (or borderline) children where they have learning difficulties, etc.

? Different from my time. Last time have leh ...

GEP for secondary schools was stopped in 2008 (Google told me so [:p] ). MOE have replaced it with that special one or two classes of ex-GEP students grouped together in each school I mentioned in an earlier post.

Edited by Flying_genie
↡ Advertisement