Hybrid - Toyota prius

Obscurest

Many car makers are going to 500 cc per cylinder or therabouts because that apparently is the most efficient size. For Toyota/Lexus, other improvements such as both direct and port injection, as well as the Atkinson cycle also help. My hybrid, which weighs more than 1700 kgs, gets almost 1000km per tank, which is pretty good. Foot to the floor driving in mountainous terrain it still used 25% less fuel than the already amazing E250 on the same journey, based on filling up at the same pump. The Prius, according to my friends, is about one third more economical again on fuel. I am on stock size tires but performance rubber. Stock tire was about 6-10% more economical compared to PSS I replaced them with.

Until electric charging is possible in our car parks, hybrids seem a really good solution for SG. The 10 year battery warrantee is good to have too. So far, after 33k's car has been completely complaint free. More and more car makers are introducing hybrids. Will be following their progress with keen interest.

Toyota guarantee its battery pack life expectancy min 10 years under normal conditions.

That means it can last as long as car itself, with some degration of charge capacity over the years as in any of today's battery technology.

A few independent studies and test conducted in US show Prius bat capacity degradation is dependent the climate, not like any battery-depend equipments like your iPhone.

hot-weather-bad-for-electric-car-batteri

• Praise 1

Whilst Toyota gives full 10 year warranty for the batteries, I understand that PML only gives 8 year warranty on their batteries on its i3 car.

Not sure if hybrid battery and the i3 battery is the same technology or not but I always don't like it if the AD doesn't give a 10 year warranty which is the life of the car in Singapore cos it may be difficult to sell the car nearer its 8th year or even if you intend to keep it, the battery may be very costly to change if the worst happens after the 8th year.

Apologies for side tracking in this Prius thread. Must give the Japs [thumbsup] for their reliability!

• Praise 6

4th gen North American model was launched last week.

Has it gone more obiang or uglier ? Your take.

Stangely, Toyota's jp site still retain its current JDM model http://toyota.jp/prius/

I guess its simply bcos North American are the biggest buyer of Prius. It has a cult status there. Goes to show how important NA market is.

I like the new design, a bit more futuristic looking

Neutral Newbie

hi all, any idea or advice on where to get the battery replacement for 2009 hybrid prius and the price roughly? the model is panasonic S55D23L. 

tried searching ard but not much info found in sg... 

thanks!

post-166155-0-33693900-1448028613_thumb.jpgpost-166155-0-42781400-1448028615_thumb.jpgpost-166155-0-56249800-1448028617_thumb.jpg

Battery retailers may carry this 12v battery but may need a bit of time to source for it. Of course BM carries the stock. Guess, this is the 1st change? Mine lasted more than 5.5 yrs. Another part that lasts way beyond a normal car for the Prius hybrid eg brakes easily last abt 140k & I hve yet to change the front pads. Just changed the front shocks at 165k!

I have a Gen2, bought direct from a property agent at 210000 km. Now at 260000 after 18 months and still as reliable as ever. Only part replace was an inverter water pump for a surprisingly $220/- all in at BM. Like it so much that I just bought a 1.8 gen3. Wanted to go for a C but my wife says too cramp.

• Praise 3

Heard from SE they are clearing the Gen 3, but I'll never get a hybrid again given that lots of conti cars are quite fuel efficient in today's market.

Heard from SE they are clearing the Gen 3, but I'll never get a hybrid again given that lots of conti cars are quite fuel efficient in today's market.

In term of FC, I don't think any petrol engine European make can match Prius. Only diesel will match it.

With a lot of start/stop traffic, Prius on full electric will be hard to beat.

Latest Prius is claiming 37km/L FC

• Praise 1

In term of FC, I don't think any petrol engine European make can match Prius. Only diesel will match it.

With a lot of start/stop traffic, Prius on full electric will be hard to beat.

Latest Prius is claiming 37km/L FC

Can't match but its quite near, a prius taxi driven like a standard car will be running around 20km/l. If always in traffic jams, you will be looking more towards 15km/l.

Can't match but its quite near, a prius taxi driven like a standard car will be running around 20km/l. If always in traffic jams, you will be looking more towards 15km/l.

How near?

If it is driven like standard car, what's the point of driving Hybrid?

With Hybrid driving, should use the battery more especially in starts-stop.

Actually there are many advantages in driving a petrol hybrid. For one, unlike some Europeans they don't practice planned obsolescence and pass future running costs to the owner. In general they are very quiet, the FC is good and the vibration levels is something diesels and normal gearboxes will struggle to match.

If you are keen on hybrid cars visit sghybridcar.com. They do batt reconditioning and partial batt replacement. The workshop is in kaki bukit. If you are free go there and ask them and see what they can do.

i think they recently changed to hevshop.com from sghybridcar.com they're still at kaki bukit though =)

actually not true, in traffic jams my prius still does about 20km/l , normal cruising on the highways at speeds of 70-90km gives me about 25-30km/l based on how heavy footed i am. On average driving my car to and from woodlands to ubi on the peak periods still gives me about 24km/l after learning how to drive it better [smash]

actually not true, in traffic jams my prius still does about 20km/l , normal cruising on the highways at speeds of 70-90km gives me about 25-30km/l based on how heavy footed i am. On average driving my car to and from woodlands to ubi on the peak periods still gives me about 24km/l after learning how to drive it better [smash]

I think what he meant to drive it as it is LaFerrari.

I think what he meant to drive it as it is LaFerrari.

I have driven mine flat out (IS300h). Achieved 11km/l over single trip of 2200kms. Others in the same convoy....4-7km/l, though a 2seater did almost 9km/. So even when pushing hard, it's advantage is still quite significant. I avg about 950km per tank. Thus SG to Penang in one tank is possible, based on my experience.

Just curious but are there any private warranty packages out there in the Singapore market for Prius/Hybrid cars?

I heard that some self importers with Honda cars bought their warranty packages from Hitachi Capital Singapore.

↡ Advertisement