Timing Belt Condition

Ronleech

Bought a 2nd hand car planning for short term usage. Asked my regular workshop to open up to check the condition of Timing belt. He did it and say Timing belt looks ok as the numbering printing is still intact and clearly shown and edge of timing belt show no sign of wear and tear. Was worrying as i will be driving to genting with family next month. Technician also ask me crank slowly and all look fine. Does that sounded good enough to last for trips to genting and run for another 1 year?

Thanks for your value view.

↡ Advertisement

what is the mileage of the car? and any previous servicing record?

mileage 125K. Changed once by 1st owner as per claimed. general servicing done 5 mths back by pte workshop.

When I bought my 2nd hand car at mileage of 65k km, I immediately did a major servicing, and changed the timing belt w/o much considering. Ultimately, it's all about luck. I changed is mainly because for the sake of insuring myself.

In a addition, what is unknown to you is whether the previous owner had changed at what mileage and also how long has this car has been left idle in the showroom.

Normally, if someone who intend to sell his car, will not maintain it as diligently as before. That's the risk of getting a 2nd car and timing belt is a thing which you won't wanna gamble.

• Praise 2

mileage 125K. Changed once by 1st owner as per claimed. general servicing done 5 mths back by pte workshop.

if your mechanic can tell from the condition of the belt if it was replace not long ago, some people do stretch their timing belt to 120K though most would change around 100K which i think the owner had done, so no need to worry.

I was more kiasu changed at 80K :D

if your mechanic can tell from the condition of the belt if it was replace not long ago, some people do stretch their timing belt to 120K though most would change around 100K which i think the owner had done, so no need to worry.

I was more kiasu changed at 80K :D

my old ride i change at 60K.... more KS..... but possible for timing belt to run 120+K km and remain in good condition?

When I bought my 2nd hand car at mileage of 65k km, I immediately did a major servicing, and changed the timing belt w/o much considering. Ultimately, it's all about luck. I changed is mainly because for the sake of insuring myself.

In a addition, what is unknown to you is whether the previous owner had changed at what mileage and also how long has this car has been left idle in the showroom.

Normally, if someone who intend to sell his car, will not maintain it as diligently as before. That's the risk of getting a 2nd car and timing belt is a thing which you won't wanna gamble.

65K is the boarder line...that is the time most ppl will plan to change the T-belt... you made the rite choice.

• Praise 1

Bought a 2nd hand car planning for short term usage. Asked my regular workshop to open up to check the condition of Timing belt. He did it and say Timing belt looks ok as the numbering printing is still intact and clearly shown and edge of timing belt show no sign of wear and tear. Was worrying as i will be driving to genting with family next month. Technician also ask me crank slowly and all look fine. Does that sounded good enough to last for trips to genting and run for another 1 year?

Do you have to pay for the service that may require 2 man working for few hours and not to mention the use of lifting floor crane and use of shop space.

Do you have to pay for the service that may require 2 man working for few hours and not to mention the use of lifting floor crane and use of shop floor space.

Do you have to pay for the service that may require 2 man working for few hours and not to mention the use of lifting floor crane and use of shop space.

the check is simple for mine..depending what ride you have... mine is just two screw thing...open up the side cover and view it whereby some may need to remove the top cover of the crankcase and glue it back again...? That is what i heard.

People usually change between 60 - 90k

Since your car is 125k, should change for peace of mind

especially if you going up north.

:D

• Praise 2

If the car is "long distance runner" type, then OK. If the car is "stop-start city traffic" kind, then better change at 60K or 3 years whichever is lower; same principle as engine oil, brakes and other wear and tear parts.

my old ride i change at 60K.... more KS..... but possible for timing belt to run 120+K km and remain in good condition?

65K is the boarder line...that is the time most ppl will plan to change the T-belt... you made the rite choice.

• Praise 1

usually they based on the lettering on the belt, if the wordings are all gone that means it had lived beyond its lifespan.

just changed my last week, then I know the previous owner never change it now at 176k liow......if not for a leaking water pump I think

I will push it to 100k....

People usually change between 60 - 90k

Since your car is 125k, should change for peace of mind

especially if you going up north.

:D

Thanks for your advice. previous owner say changed about close to 80K.... so i guess still ok.... with the visual check still in good condition....just go ahead....:P...many thanks for feedback

usually they based on the lettering on the belt, if the wordings are all gone that means it had lived beyond its lifespan.

just changed my last week, then I know the previous owner never change it now at 176k liow......if not for a leaking water pump I think

I will push it to 100k....

Belt used for 176K without change??? Condition take out all worn out? Normally water pump will up lorry 1st before belt as what i know. 1st owner always follow specs on manual....ot +- 20K km.... when water pump spoil, easy to feel, engine will vibrate and got sound....

Thanks for your advice. previous owner say changed about close to 80K.... so i guess still ok.... with the visual check still in good condition....just go ahead....:P...many thanks for feedback

Belt used for 176K without change??? Condition take out all worn out? Normally water pump will up lorry 1st before belt as what i know. 1st owner always follow specs on manual....ot +- 20K km.... when water pump spoil, easy to feel, engine will vibrate and got sound....

yah.....damn I tot the owner changed it when I took over at 90k ......

the WS told me the belt is in very terrible condition liow, if not for the leaking water pump I think I will get a snap belt.

How much will a belt change cost and what model is that?

How much will a belt change cost and what model is that?

left 10 mths to ride....

Pica...MT

yah.....damn I tot the owner changed it when I took over at 90k ......

the WS told me the belt is in very terrible condition liow, if not for the leaking water pump I think I will get a snap belt.

i guess cracks is deep and visible...

Then not worth it unless you renew coe

ya lor.....if with at least 2 years i would have changed it.... crank and start still strong and good