Ford Focus titanium

Obscurest

Ford Focus 1.6 now dropped to $89,999. COE drop $5 K, Regent Motors drop price by $8K. Their profit margin is razor thin 4 digits.

Stick to the cloth upholstery which comes with 5yr warranty, and get an additional $1K off.

$8.1K annual depreciation for a German made conti car. Where to find? Cheaper than used car.

Even lose money and sell their sales volume will remain pitiful. If it's so cheap and good, why aren't the masses biting? Lots of stupid consumers out there i suppose.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Even lose money and sell their sales volume will remain pitiful. If it's so cheap and good, why aren't the masses biting? Lots of stupid consumers out there i suppose.

It's probably the branding, snob appeal.

People are willing to fork out @$135K for an Audi A3 1.4L, and over $150K for a BMW 318 1.5L which comes with a 3 cylinder engine. And the interior of both are no more spacious than the Focus.

It's probably the branding, snob appeal.

People are willing to fork out @$135K for an Audi A3 1.4L, and over $150K for a BMW 318 1.5L which comes with a 3 cylinder engine. And the interior of both are no more spacious than the Focus.

Was comparing to Altis. The people's car isn't doing too well now. Many were plagued by reliability issues. So much for German quality. For a basic reliable car nothing Beats a toyota.

Was comparing to Altis. The people's car isn't doing too well now. Many were plagued by reliability issues. So much for German quality. For a basic reliable car nothing Beats a toyota.

I have sit in the new Toyota altis. Suspension very bouncy and dashboard worse than previous model. How to compete with ford? A very underdog but worth the buy. Sorry to say after used to own a Conti car vw, it is very hard for me to go back to a jap or Korean brand as the ride is very different. I agree totally tht vw sucks but that doesn't mean other German or french brand sucks too. NVR buy a Conti brand if u want to cont to drive a jap or Korean brand or else sure regret. I know of one forumer here who bought Mazda after vw and he misses the VW very much even though used to give him a lot of headaches. What i like abt ford is really value for money and still more reliable than vw and yet drives like a BMw because of the firm suspension. It is just that sporeans are very face conscious. The mondeo is even more super packed in features and more spacious than the luxurious bmw and Mb high end models. Some says once u drive a ford u will stick to a ford. Yes initally many problems with the powershift gb but has improved over the years unlike vw. I know one old friend who used to drive a vw pasaat and complained abt its unreliability Bec it stranded him in ns highway. He changed to a mondeo and now a kuga with such smile in his face. He was contemplating of an Audi q3 but in the end settle for ford because of value for money. Yes ford is the cheapest Conti car here even cheaper than French cars. Edited by Munhua
  • Praise 1

Ford used to stand for fix or repair daily because they came out with the powershift gb with many teething problems. But they have fixed it over the yrs. VW? Up to today they are still telling lies. Forget abt the new vw Passat or golf variant. Still the same old 7 spd dry gb. Juddering is still ok but the mechatronics unit spoil very easily as soaked in oil which means the car can no longer move. So changing the gb oil regularly is no use. The diesel tdi emission scandal is a good example. Vw tries to compete with ford to come out with polo 1.0l with higher hp but engine will still overheat with piston crack. Do u know the rm mamager used to drive a golf but switched to a focus st Bec of gb problem and he is happy ever since. Chevrolet unfortunately is still a Korean brand (daewoo) but they use the opel engine but drives like Korean car. Honda also come up with dual clutch gb but many problems. Do not worry they will get there someday like ford or volvo.

Edited by Munhua

Those Thai assembled Jap brand cars are not worth the money, as labour and the locally sourced parts, except for engine and gearbox are so low cost, but the savings are not passed on to customers.

The profit margin for a Thairolla Altis is 26% or $22k.

Those who have driven the G9 Corolla, the last of the Jap assembled Corolla, will know the difference in workmanship, driving comfort, insulation and durability which far exceeds its Thai assembled sibling.

Edited by Vinceng

If I have not placed an order at the motor show , I might have seriously considered ford focus.

During the road show the only German car to be selling so cheap is vw polo. But I've no confidence in its reliability. Ford focus is a huge step up on its reliability compared to vw polo. Worth the buy at this price

• Praise 1

Ford Focus was selling at $95K at Motor Show last month.

Many booked on the spot without a test drive, thinking they bought at all time low price.

Now, the price dropped another $6K to $88,888 within 2 weeks.

Ford Focus was selling at $95K at Motor Show last month.

Many booked on the spot without a test drive, thinking they bought at all time low price.

Now, the price dropped another $6K to $88,888 within 2 weeks.

Trend or titanium ?
  • Praise 1

Trend or titanium ?

Trend was the hot spot. Makes sense as the $7K premium for Titanium is purely cosmetic and functional, which does not affect the performance.

Trend was the hot spot. Makes sense as the $7K premium for Titanium is purely cosmetic and functional, which does not affect the performance.

To me trend and titanium is a lot of difference. Titanium comes with auto headlights and wiper which make life easier and prevent battery drainage, so it is worth the price.

Those Thai assembled Jap brand cars are not worth the money, as labour and the locally sourced parts, except for engine and gearbox are so low cost, but the savings are not passed on to customers.

The profit margin for a Thairolla Altis is 26% or $22k.

Those who have driven the G9 Corolla, the last of the Jap assembled Corolla, will know the difference in workmanship, driving comfort, insulation and durability which far exceeds its Thai assembled sibling.

Well I have sit in my colleague new Mazda 6 and I am very surprised by its stable suspension. Got bmw like console, lcd touchscreen, etc. It is very Conti like. Got sports select gb too. Amazed at how far a jap brand come such a long way. Very soon Mazda will introduce turbo engines. If not, one Mazda owner would not miss his prev vw car. I guess the past mazda-ford alliance has resulted in Conti like Mazda car nowadays. Even the mazda 2 is comparable with the ford fiesta with 10s century sprint. If only ford copy mazda bmwlike lcd touchscreen console. Toyota is very far behind. Edited by Munhua
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

With the adaptive bi-xenon headlamps (both pattern and steering in such a cheap car), SONY sound system, and improved trim (like arm rest compartment... I think that is missing in Trend), Titanium is well worth the extra money imo.

Forgot what else Titanium come with.

Neutral Newbie

I tested the Ford Focus, Mazda 3 and Toyota Altis

I find the Ford Focus to have better handling, quiet and responds better to the steering, feeling more 'heavy'. However, it tends to take a while to start moving from pausing at the traffic lights. The Mazda is faster to accelerate from stationary, but not too bad in handling as well, although not as good as the Ford. The Altis was the worst among them, it's just more noisy and not smooth to drive.

Interior wise, I like Ford but exterior Mazda looks better.

So I was split between Mazda and Ford, Mazda being the more fuel economical too..

Eventually chose Ford, because the price did drop significantly..and at the that price I got some of the features that only the Mazda Deluxe version gave.

But I can't say I didn't regret a bit.. I'm a first time car buyer, so hopefully I made the right decision on Ford.

• Praise 2

I've had my 2015 Focus Wagon 1.6 Trend since Oct 2015. Apart from the disconcerting snd irritating issue of the side skirt that dropped off and got lost here is my opinion of this car.

I liked the overall exterior style and this was the main reason I exercised my heart-bias decision to buy it. After all, apart from the Chinese and Malaysian made car there is not really a "bad" car in this cut throat bread and butter car category.

Interior: Understated practcality and style. I dont any of the Titanium options as they add no value to the car as far as I am concerned. The essentuals are all there so this suits me to a T.

The ride and handling is stable and comfortable. The cabin is quiet. The doors are a little heavy to closed but it does so with a nice thud that makes it sounds solid.

Going around long sweepers it holds its line solidly while maintining a constant throttle or even nudging it a little. The upholstered locally leather seat has a slight bucket wings to support you as you seing around. The Continental clad tyres does a decent job quietly.

The fly in the ointment has to be the transmission. This Powermatic or dual clutch transmission works fine if you are driving in a straight,predictable and constant line and velocity. But if you have to drive in more complicated situations such as going up a steep car psrk ramp with stop and go traffic in front, the "D" gear will keep hunting for the "right" gear. The hesitation between this and the driver's natural response to gas it when it hesitate and brake when it jerks forward confusezthe transmission. This results in a very jerky drive.

NOT GOOD.

Now the "S" mode. You'll be firgiven to think its a manual mode. NO! Its not. If it decides you are dragging, it will change down or up for you. So its no fun to drive. Accept again on long clear road.

The kickdown in both "D" and "S" mode is scary slow. You neef to plan your forward burst well ahead. My previous CCVT geared car is amazing by comparsion.

Fuel consumption: The claimed 6.5L/100 km is RUBBISH. You might get it if you are cruising at 70kmh continuosly with the aircon switched off and the windows up. In the first 4000km, driving at urban and highway condition, the ave consumption as gauged by the car's computer is 11L/100km.

Ford says <4000km, no count. So, its now jusy over 4000km and the readout so far is 10L/100km.

Regent Motors service and warranty issue? I don't want to go there. Just make sure that you have the dropped off or broken parts if anything dropped off or broke, if you want to claim warranty, Otherwise "Company Policy" dictates the yr warranty claim is void.

• Praise 1

I tested the Ford Focus, Mazda 3 and Toyota Altis

I find the Ford Focus to have better handling, quiet and responds better to the steering, feeling more 'heavy'. However, it tends to take a while to start moving from pausing at the traffic lights. The Mazda is faster to accelerate from stationary, but not too bad in handling as well, although not as good as the Ford. The Altis was the worst among them, it's just more noisy and not smooth to drive.

Interior wise, I like Ford but exterior Mazda looks better.

So I was split between Mazda and Ford, Mazda being the more fuel economical too..

Eventually chose Ford, because the price did drop significantly..and at the that price I got some of the features that only the Mazda Deluxe version gave.

But I can't say I didn't regret a bit.. I'm a first time car buyer, so hopefully I made the right decision on Ford.

Mazda is the most conti like amongst Japs n as such the handling of Mazda cars are top notch. Ford likely the same if not better as they share same traits. Altis is more of an all rounder n it's traits are in reliability n fuss free driving so not directly comparable I feel. Anyway congrats on your Focus!

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

Mazda is the most conti like amongst Japs n as such the handling of Mazda cars are top notch. Ford likely the same if not better as they share same traits. Altis is more of an all rounder n it's traits are in reliability n fuss free driving so not directly comparable I feel. Anyway congrats on your Focus!

In a way, the current crop of Fords can also trace their handling excellence to their history with Mazda.

• Praise 1

In a way, the current crop of Fords can also trace their handling excellence to their history with Mazda.

Yes that's true bro. Laser/323, Focus/Mz3 were twins n shared same platform going back many years.

You could corner a Mz3/Focus without braking at reasonable speeds confidently whereas u couldn't do this in other Jap cars.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9