Ford Focus titanium

Obscurest

From recent test drive experience, I found both Focus and Maz3 suffer the same poor pick up issue. The NA 1.6l engine is too weak for its heavy body. Interior wise Maz3 wins but the Focus SW titanium look better on the outside.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

From recent test drive experience, I found both Focus and Maz3 suffer the same poor pick up issue. The NA 1.6l engine is too weak for its heavy body. Interior wise Maz3 wins but the Focus SW titanium look better on the outside.

These are car with body and weight more suitable with a 2.0L engine. Unless it is 1.6 Turbo.

All thanks to our tax structure.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

A lot of people say the Mazda3's chassis is too accomplished for the 1.6L engine, and that the 2.0L is the real ticket. I reckon they are probably right.

• Praise 2

I tested the Ford Focus, Mazda 3 and Toyota Altis

I find the Ford Focus to have better handling, quiet and responds better to the steering, feeling more 'heavy'. However, it tends to take a while to start moving from pausing at the traffic lights. The Mazda is faster to accelerate from stationary, but not too bad in handling as well, although not as good as the Ford. The Altis was the worst among them, it's just more noisy and not smooth to drive.

Interior wise, I like Ford but exterior Mazda looks better.

So I was split between Mazda and Ford, Mazda being the more fuel economical too..

Eventually chose Ford, because the price did drop significantly..and at the that price I got some of the features that only the Mazda Deluxe version gave.

But I can't say I didn't regret a bit.. I'm a first time car buyer, so hopefully I made the right decision on Ford.

Yesterday my 1 yr ford batt flat and changed foc with warranty. Looks like ford and Mazda got same high batt usage but still better than vw gb problem. Well that is what the technician told me. Stay clear of Chevrolet too as same gb problem. He still says ford shld be more reliable than Mazda and one of the more reliable Conti brands. So trust your ford lah. Not I say but experienced tow truck drivers cum technician. Another 8 yr pug car nearby has overheating issues at the same time so I believe French cars are still not so reliable. Edited by Munhua
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I have been driving ford focus for last 4 years. Just changed to the latest focus last May and I appreciate its terrific handling and drive as well as well-sculpted, muscular yet sophisticated exterior. It is also tops for safety with 6 airbags. Very few 1.6 litre cars have the same safety features as Ford with the same reliability. Only issue is the jerky gearbox, but generally ok unless you are on a slope. Just need to get used to it. Ford is really underrated in Singapore. It is the top seller in this category on the UK.

Neutral Newbie

I've had my 2015 Focus Wagon 1.6 Trend since Oct 2015. Apart from the disconcerting snd irritating issue of the side skirt that dropped off and got lost here is my opinion of this car.

I liked the overall exterior style and this was the main reason I exercised my heart-bias decision to buy it. After all, apart from the Chinese and Malaysian made car there is not really a "bad" car in this cut throat bread and butter car category.

Interior: Understated practcality and style. I dont any of the Titanium options as they add no value to the car as far as I am concerned. The essentuals are all there so this suits me to a T.

The ride and handling is stable and comfortable. The cabin is quiet. The doors are a little heavy to closed but it does so with a nice thud that makes it sounds solid.

Going around long sweepers it holds its line solidly while maintining a constant throttle or even nudging it a little. The upholstered locally leather seat has a slight bucket wings to support you as you seing around. The Continental clad tyres does a decent job quietly.

The fly in the ointment has to be the transmission. This Powermatic or dual clutch transmission works fine if you are driving in a straight,predictable and constant line and velocity. But if you have to drive in more complicated situations such as going up a steep car psrk ramp with stop and go traffic in front, the "D" gear will keep hunting for the "right" gear. The hesitation between this and the driver's natural response to gas it when it hesitate and brake when it jerks forward confusezthe transmission. This results in a very jerky drive.

NOT GOOD.

Now the "S" mode. You'll be firgiven to think its a manual mode. NO! Its not. If it decides you are dragging, it will change down or up for you. So its no fun to drive. Accept again on long clear road.

The kickdown in both "D" and "S" mode is scary slow. You neef to plan your forward burst well ahead. My previous CCVT geared car is amazing by comparsion.

Fuel consumption: The claimed 6.5L/100 km is RUBBISH. You might get it if you are cruising at 70kmh continuosly with the aircon switched off and the windows up. In the first 4000km, driving at urban and highway condition, the ave consumption as gauged by the car's computer is 11L/100km.

Ford says <4000km, no count. So, its now jusy over 4000km and the readout so far is 10L/100km.

Regent Motors service and warranty issue? I don't want to go there. Just make sure that you have the dropped off or broken parts if anything dropped off or broke, if you want to claim warranty, Otherwise "Company Policy" dictates the yr warranty claim is void.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I heard about the problems with the dual clutch too and felt the hesitation to move from a stop traffic during the test drive.

The SE said the fuel consumption is around 11-12L/100km at least he was honest. My friend who owned a 2014 Mazda 3 said his was about 9L/100KM

Flipped through all car ads in today's papers .

Ford Focus seems like best Bang for buck. Because the purchase price is so low to begin with, it more than makes up for the heftier cost of wear and tear parts replacement when compared to Jap makes.

Ford FOCUS is :

Fantastic

Optimised to perform

Cutting edge

Ultimate

Superb

Now is the golden opportune to go Conti for a song and FOCUS on your decision.

*Regent Motors owes me advertorial fees for this :-)

#In order, from lowest (top) to highest selling price (bottom).

KIA K3 - Good ride but many in this forum have commented about its high fuel consumption. Why pay more for a Kimchi when you can get a German made Conti make for less. Nobody likes to be Killed In Action . pun intended.

Lancer EX - Reliable Japan made but decade old model with antique 4 speed auto tranny. Best placed in time capsule.

Mazda 3 - Interior not as spacious as Focus. Closest fight for those willing to fork out an extra $5K

Honda City - Overpriced tomyam VTEC

Nissan Sylphy - Good old trusted Jap reliability and fuel economy, but alas... This gonna set you back poorer by $10K, enough to fill 170 tankfuls of 95Ron petrol

Peugeot - This French mistress doesn't like the tropical heat and is gonna be tempermental to maintain, and you gotta adapt to her whimp and fancy, especially during her PMS

Audi A3 - For the bespoke with extra cash to dump

post-27974-0-79611400-1455334022_thumb.jpg

post-27974-0-10223500-1455334091_thumb.jpg

post-27974-0-79475600-1455334125_thumb.jpg

post-27974-0-97263700-1455334143_thumb.jpg

post-27974-0-02413100-1455334295_thumb.jpg

post-27974-0-27047600-1455334316_thumb.jpg

post-27974-0-65992600-1455334338_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 2

wah now focus cheaper than jap brands

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I heard about the problems with the dual clutch too and felt the hesitation to move from a stop traffic during the test drive.

The SE said the fuel consumption is around 11-12L/100km at least he was honest. My friend who owned a 2014 Mazda 3 said his was about 9L/100KM

I have been driving the pre-facelift model for 4 years.

heavy footed, mostly in city. getting about 10.5l/100km

Turbocharged

And the Honda City is of a smaller class... more comparable to Fiesta. That said, the City has a miracle of packaging in its design and its legroom is somehow unfanthomably large.... but headroom isn't.

Adui [sic] A3 is overpriced to me lo. Mazda3 2.0L worth it bah. But will be high competition with other potential owners. Sylphy not as popular as expected, but the Sylphy SSS is a neat choice. The regular one though, hmm..... nah its rather overpriced as you say.

Cannot believe the Vios-esque technology Lancer EX is more expensive than the Focus Trend now. That is absurd.

Peugeot 308SW though, to me, is still a very viable competitor. The 508, may be hard to trust with the BMW derived engine, but the PureTech 1.2L in 308 and 308SW's enormous boot and beautiful estate body.... I would really consider it. To me 308SW is a fantastic value car as well, but of course I would agree with most that Focuses are more likely to be less problematic

• Praise 1

I realised that the "Trend" version of the Focus is taken off from Regent Motor's price list.

I guess they are only selling the "Titanium" version going forward ?

I realised that the "Trend" version of the Focus is taken off from Regent Motor's price list.

I guess they are only selling the "Titanium" version going forward ?

I would opt for the titanium version for the chrome grill. Makes a big difference aesthetically IMO.

Supercharged

any insider news on whether Regent Motors is bringing in the Ecoboost Focus ?

have to wait for Ecoboost to be paired with auto gearbox

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

Just to clarify, the trend version has auto headlights and wiper. I know bcos I am driving one. That is why I felt titanium not worth it. Just paying for cosmetics like grill, headlight, armrest. I would have gone for it if it had e.g. gps navigation and bigger lcd screen, but it had none of this.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Hi all,

Just to clarify, the trend version has auto headlights and wiper. I know bcos I am driving one. That is why I felt titanium not worth it. Just paying for cosmetics like grill, headlight, armrest. I would have gone for it if it had e.g. gps navigation and bigger lcd screen, but it had none of this.

Armrest is quite helpful you know. Haha!

But the headlamps are not just cosmetic, they are functional as well - adaptive bi-xenon with road-following and speed-sensitivity.

I believe Titanium also has multi-color ambience lighting (cosmetic also) and better speaker system and some keyless functionality that is not on Trend. But each to their own.

edit: full list of Titanium perks:

High gloss black grill including chrome bar

Fog lamp chrome bezel

Chrome door frame molding

Bi-Xenon headlights (adaptive type)

Ford EcoMode

Front centre console with arm rest

Rear power point in console

Sunvisor with illuminated vanity mirror

Overhead console with sunglass holder

LED front and rear cabin lights

Cruise control

Ford Power Start button

Now that I think about it, Focus doesn't come with the Sony system here IIRC....

Edited by 7hm

went down to Regent Motors today, thinking of checking out the Focus Titanium.... surprise! all out of stock, even display set also cleared. according to sales rep, the next batch of Focus will all be 1.0 Ecoboost... hmmm... let's see the pricing how

(edited)

Now then come. Long overdue. If only they come out with the focus 1.0l long ago. The fiesta is indeed too cramped for a family car. Single or couple or 1 kid can tahan but not with 2 kids or more. What all I can say abt the 1.0l ecoboost engine is like a fake diesel because it drives like one but petrol so u can guess it can never be as fuel efficient as a diesel no matter how light footed u are. Also wish the lcd screen is bigger in new ford model like ford c-max as really primitive compared to a jap or Korean model. Even the kuga lcd screen is small compared to mondeo which got colorful instrument panel and large lcd touchscreen. Well the handling is bmwlike such as 116d but budget. Well still worth the wait for more hp and larger fuel tank and more space!

Edited by Munhua

Another thing - the road tax and insurance for a ford 1.0l car is damn cheap. Road tax only $100 plus for 6 mths. Wow! $1k for insurance. So pls wait for the new model budget hunters!

↡ Advertisement