AFF Suzuki Cup

Caldina

The latest low-down on the permutations for qualification into the semis: https://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/asian-football/aff-suzuki-cup/981273/aff-suzuki-cup-2018-group-a-premutation-malaysia-myanmar-vietnam/?fbclid=IwAR0kfc4gBWvuhVhUjZgB55u3lNopPYr9CSYOa2umBcLk_1slq4w8JnXRWwc

Vietnam, Myanmar and Malaysia fighting it out in the first group. Thailand, Philippines and Singapore slugging it out in the other.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I have not followed Singapore football closely in recent times but what better options do we have if he don't field his sons ?  In the past we have more accomplished strikers like Indra Sahdan and Nor Alam Shah but not anymore.

I am more interested to see more of Adam Swandi though.. At only 22, he is the 1st Singaporean to play for S-League champion, Albirex Niigata and the young player of the season. 

the fella k. amri is experienced and has bags of tricks to unsettle the thai defence.

Hey guys, it's happening tonight 750pm, kickoff at 8pm. Showing live on TV OKTO channel. Toggle app also can watch live.

Good luck Singapore

• Praise 4

Singapore well beaten in the end by 0-3.

Actually this defeat is not the reason they exited the competition but more cos earlier this month, they failed to get a point at Philippines cos if they would have done that, they would have gone thru.

• Praise 2

Well, when you dont change from the top, nothing gets changed. The same old faces and the same old story, nobody interested to pisten anymore.

Just look at other sports and their improvements, surely FAS could recruit them to run FAS.

I feel there has been improvement in this team just that they are still not at the level of the top ASEAN nations.

Change at the top? Perhaps, but if there is not enough talent coming thru, don’t think even the World’s best administrators nor coaches can do anything if there is insufficient talent available. Of course, revamping the youth set up can help to address this lack of talent n to be fair to the FAS, they have changed the SPL to encompass more local players coming thru so what else needs to be done I’m not sure.

• Praise 2

I feel there has been improvement in this team just that they are still not at the level of the top ASEAN nations.

Change at the top? Perhaps, but if there is not enough talent coming thru, don’t think even the World’s best administrators nor coaches can do anything if there is insufficient talent available. Of course, revamping the youth set up can help to address this lack of talent n to be fair to the FAS, they have changed the SPL to encompass more local players coming thru so what else needs to be done I’m not sure.

talent are discover and train from young.

in singapore the best place to discover talent is from primary school and sec school.

during my times i was in the sec school and poly school teams. 

all i can say is the selection is very bias, certain ppl or group even if they are playing better wont be selected, for watever reason i wont say as its sensitive.

i dun know if the same problem still exist now? if that dun change there is no hope for sg soccer.

• Praise 2

I think Fandi got his tactics wrong for this match. We should be shoring up our defence and not try to attack the Thais. Instead, he went out attacking and the defence suffered.

I think the current team is good. Not the best but it is a mix of experience and youth. Keep it this way.

....not that I do not support local football..have seen the oldies like Kim Song, Rajagopal, Samad Alpilechay,Dollah kassim and many more during those time..they are quite impressive...and I believe they play for the love of the game. Fandi was also very good during his hay days and he could have make himself in the Premier League(Division 1) if his agent have the network at that time. All in all we have deteriorate and Thai have progress much more and inching closer to the Jap and Korean level. Just hope someone or some group of people can come out with plans to groom our youngsters

and Gahman will fully support it with $$, otherwise it will be the same for the next 10-20 years..imo

....not that I do not support local football..have seen the oldies like Kim Song, Rajagopal, Samad Alpilechay,Dollah kassim and many more during those time..they are quite impressive...and I believe they play for the love of the game. Fandi was also very good during his hay days and he could have make himself in the Premier League(Division 1) if his agent have the network at that time. All in all we have deteriorate and Thai have progress much more and inching closer to the Jap and Korean level. Just hope someone or some group of people can come out with plans to groom our youngsters

and Gahman will fully support it with $$, otherwise it will be the same for the next 10-20 years..imo

I also watch during the Kim Song, Dollah Kassim era n later on Fandi, Sundram but if I may say, no point harping on the old days as football n life was much different then.

The era of different distractions, lack of support, pursuit for higher education, better jobs mean players have other things to worry about. I dare say Kim Song n gang won’t be able to give the same level of commitment if they were to play today. How to improve? Some suggestions already mentioned on grassroots etc so I won’t repeat them n anyway if I knew how, I wouldn’t be behind this keyboard.

Even Michael Sablon the Belgian who is the architect behind Belgium’s rise to be world no. 1 struggled to give us a platform to build on so what hope is there I wonder n fear.

• Praise 3

We do has a local boy it epl standard offered a professional contract.

This is exactly what I mean by different distractions, lack of support etc. We have a local talent but even govt bodies not willing to accommodate him. Don’t want to say more about this anymore as even in our MCF, there is differing camp, opinion on this.

• Praise 4

I think Fandi got his tactics wrong for this match. We should be shoring up our defence and not try to attack the Thais. Instead, he went out attacking and the defence suffered.

I think the current team is good. Not the best but it is a mix of experience and youth. Keep it this way.

We all have our opinions on what tactics to use n obviously on hindsight, it might have been better to play otherwise but don’t forget we had to win this game n actually the first 2 goals were individual defensive mistakes. Agree that this team is about the best of the current crop of players we have.

The Fandi bros esp Irfan are not at the level of their dad but then again what other choices do we have?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3