What can be done? appreciate advice..

Ling156

Neutral Newbie

Hi

Wondering if you guys have any suggestions as what can be done to help resolve the issue.

My dad bought a second hand merc from a car dealer at Commonwealth. He liked it and we discussed the details. After which, I had requested that they write on the document that they will provide a six month warranty for the car. They told me that They could not do so as that document is to be submitted to IRAS. Huh? Then when the inspection report came back, it was stated that the muffler was not approved and they were asked to remove the two mufflers.

However when we went to collect the car, the mufflers were all there. The lady said not to worry, if inspection does not pass, can look for them again. Huh??

Again I requested for her to write down the warranty period but she said she couldn't in the document . after assuring us that all is ok, we left with the car.

Now after driving for less than a month, we noticed that the aircon blows hot and told intermittently. I asked the agent and They said it is part of wear and tear. I asked if They did a proper check of the car and if They did, this shouldn't happen at all. Now she says she will "talk to her boss" to see how to help.

Am just wondering if we have any case for insisting that they repair the aircon Since we have only driven it less than a month. Did any of you ever encounter such a matter?

Hope to get your advice ..thanks in advance !

↡ Advertisement

Most likely the dealer will give lame excuse to drag till warranty period is over. Go to any workshop get it fix, pay out of your own pocket first. Dan use the invoice of the repairs and go to small claims tribunal to claim against the dealer. If you dunno how to go about doing it go to CASE they will help you.

The process can be quite tedious. Filling up forms and going to small courts. If the repairs is not much, just bear the cost. Anyway your dad is not buying a new car. A used old car is bound to have wear and tear issues. IMO it's not worth the trouble. Buying a used old car cannot have expectations of a brand new car. It's not fair to the dealer too. Give and take lah.

Edited by Watwheels

Neutral Newbie

Thanks all.. I'm sure second hand cars will have problems but coz they said that They had the car checked out and all was working properly.. and now this problem came out less than a month later.. so was wondering if we could get the agent to do anything..: (

Try talking and ask to see the boss. Let them know you will take this up with CASE as all registered dealers need to comply to the lemon law. Also let them know you will share your case on-line for other to judge. Of course if they are not responding, you have no choice but to do it and claim.

Thanks all.. I'm sure second hand cars will have problems but coz they said that They had the car checked out and all was working properly.. and now this problem came out less than a month later.. so was wondering if we could get the agent to do anything..: (

If you sell/rent your house which have aircon and people ask, you also say no problems.

You had been using the aircon for x years and never gave you problems.

1month later, aircon spoilt. How?

A dealer only start the car and probably did a few test drive.

Shift the car when require all with aircon on I suppose.

How can they know when the aircon going to go south in 1 month when they have only limited time with the car.

Even direct owners can't tell which part is giving way soon and how can a dealer know?

Even a workshop also fix is when it's spoilt.

The list goes on and on.

Try to use lemon law to claim against them.

For me when I buy used cars, I squeeze the dealer so much and say you can waive off lemon law.

Cars are getting more expensive due to the lemon law which dealers have to buffer for the potential claims.

Lemon law really good for the consumer? Think again.

• Praise 1

Of all places and methods you can use, please only go to CASE LAST after all your mean of ways are used up ah... [lipsrsealed]

On serious note, if the repair is not expensive, please settle it yourselves unless you coming from a very solid background and have exceptional time and money to wait for the dealer to react.

If you are getting a second hand car, do expect some faulty parts. <_<

Of course parts that are major, you can choose to use Lemon Law on them but you really need to put in lot of effort... [furious]

As a buyer,I would say is all luck on buying an old car.u can discuss this with seller on aiircon wkshop using their support.at the same time get around for a comparison quote n see Hw serious is the cost or just maintenance repair.from there see you shld follow up with the law or just pay if small amount. I can understand the frustration especially the aircon is broken down.good luck,it maybe a minor problem.

If you sell/rent your house which have aircon and people ask, you also say no problems.

You had been using the aircon for x years and never gave you problems.

1month later, aircon spoilt. How?

A dealer only start the car and probably did a few test drive.

Shift the car when require all with aircon on I suppose.

How can they know when the aircon going to go south in 1 month when they have only limited time with the car.

Even direct owners can't tell which part is giving way soon and how can a dealer know?

Even a workshop also fix is when it's spoilt.

The list goes on and on.

Try to use lemon law to claim against them.

For me when I buy used cars, I squeeze the dealer so much and say you can waive off lemon law.

Cars are getting more expensive due to the lemon law which dealers have to buffer for the potential claims.

Lemon law really good for the consumer? Think again.

You cannot "contract out" of legal requirements - so no matter what you say, it will still be a matter of honour about lemon law.

One thing I do notice about all cases like the OP that come through the boards here, there seems to be two common themes

1. No Comprehensive pre-purhase check with written report - from all that I have seen and reported - AA is still the most comprehensive and trustworthy, and IF I buy a used car it WILL be with an AA report - regardless of where I get it from

2. Things that the dealer agrees to are not put into writing - unless you have written confirmation, what the dealer says means squat, it is bumpkiss, worse that useless. ALWAYS get their promises in writing - if they are not willing to put it into writing, they are not going to honour their word.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks all for your comments..buying a second hand anything is always a risk and depends on how reliable the person/company is.

↡ Advertisement