Top 30 things to be thankful for if you live in Singapore

Donut

Supercharged

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/top-30-things-to-be-thankful-for-if-you-live-in-013838692.html

Scientific studies have found that you only need to do one thing: Be grateful.

In the spirit of the holiday season, I thought it’d be a good idea to remind ourselves of what we have to be thankful for.

My work is all about helping teenagers to become happy and successful – and gratitude is a big part of that. So I’ve listed 30 things to be grateful for if you live in Singapore, and if you’re reading this article.

1. Cheap and good food: Singapore has plenty of it.

2. 24-hour eateries: You never need to go hungry.

3. Greenery: Trees abound. You forget how nice this is until you visit other countries where there’s little greenery.

4. Singlish: We don’t usually think about how unique and amazing this language is!

5. No natural disasters: This is something we – or at least I – often take for granted.

6. Racial and ethnic diversity: This is one of the most special things about Singapore.

7. Religious freedom and tolerance: It’s nice how we all get along pretty well.

8. Internet access: You’re reading this, which means you have Internet access. (You’re in the privileged 40 per cent that does.)

9. You have a smartphone or a computer: These powerful tools are only available to a minority of the world’s population.

10. Connectivity: Referring to Points #8 and 9, you can communicate with people around the world instantaneously.

11. Opportunities for generosity: Referring to Point #10, you can potentially add value to millions of people through a blog post, video or podcast. The Internet allows us to be tremendously generous!

12. You can read: 774 million adults can’t, so let’s appreciate this gift.

13. In all likelihood, you went to school: Referring to Point #12, this probably means that you’ve had an education. (121 million children are out of education.)

14. Libraries: Singapore has more than 25 National Library Board libraries, where you can read thousands of books for free.

15. Endless ways to learn and improve: Referring to Points #8 and 14, if you want to learn about almost anything in the world, you can. You can improve yourself as long as you have the drive to.

16. Clean drinking water: You have access to clean drinking water (780 million people don’t.)

17. Electricity: You have electricity in your home. (1.3 billion people don’t.)

18. Clean streets: Thank you to all the hardworking people who keep our streets clean, every single day!

19. Nice public housing: In most other countries, you wouldn’t use “public housing” and “nice” in the same sentence.

20. Safety: It’s (generally) safe to walk the streets after dark.

21. Changi Airport: Our airport is so nice that people go there to hang out. There are few airports in the world where people do that.

22. Parks and beaches: We have plenty of well-maintained parks and beaches.

23. Clean government: No matter what your views are on the government, you’ll probably agree that, at least, it’s not corrupt.

24. Air-conditioned shopping malls: If you want air-conditioning, you can walk into any shopping mall. And we have a lot of shopping malls.

25. Air-conditioned public transportation: 97 per cent of public buses are air-conditioned, and so are our trains.

26. MRT and LRT: The train system works well (in general), and the network is expanding. Getting around is becoming even more convenient.

27. People line up at MRT stations: People line up when waiting for the train. I remember the time when this wasn’t the case!

28. We “chope” seats using packets of tissue paper: This practice is more remarkable than we give it credit for.

29. “Aunties” and “Uncles”: We call every somewhat old person either “Auntie” or “Uncle”. Visitors to Singapore find this curious, which reminds me that it’s a fascinating practice.

30. You’re alive: This is the most important one, because it means that you can make a difference to someone today. As Maya Angelou once said, “As long as you’re breathing, it’s never too late to do some good.”

I don’t deny that we all face problems and challenges daily. But that doesn’t mean we can’t be full of thanksgiving.

So for the rest of this month, I encourage you to write down just one thing a day you’re grateful for. I can almost guarantee that you’ll see an improvement in your mood and overall well-being.

Wishing you great health and happiness this holiday season!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 15

6. Racial and ethnic diversity: This is one of the most special things about Singapore.

I always consider these 2 positives as something special about Singapore and something we take for granted.

• Praise 4

I always consider these 2 positives as something special about Singapore and something we take for granted.

Well said bro [thumbsup]

Can't emphasise more on this 2 points as it's really God send and credit to all Singaporeans from govt to citizens for making this possible!!

And Long may this continue..........................................

• Praise 3

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/top-30-things-to-be-thankful-for-if-you-live-in-013838692.html

Scientific studies have found that you only need to do one thing: Be grateful.

In the spirit of the holiday season, I thought it’d be a good idea to remind ourselves of what we have to be thankful for.

My work is all about helping teenagers to become happy and successful – and gratitude is a big part of that. So I’ve listed 30 things to be grateful for if you live in Singapore, and if you’re reading this article.

I don’t deny that we all face problems and challenges daily. But that doesn’t mean we can’t be full of thanksgiving.

So for the rest of this month, I encourage you to write down just one thing a day you’re grateful for. I can almost guarantee that you’ll see an improvement in your mood and overall well-being.

Wishing you great health and happiness this holiday season!

Thks bro!! Timely reminder and well thought out list, kudos! [thumbsup]

Wish you and your loved ones good health and happiness all the days of their lives!!

• Praise 4

Sorry to be spoiler, but...

1. Cheap and good food: Singapore has plenty of it. - Really meh? Some of them not really that cheap anymore

2. 24-hour eateries: You never need to go hungry. - TBH not really that many also.

3. Greenery: Trees abound. You forget how nice this is until you visit other countries where there’s little greenery. - OK fair enough

4. Singlish: We don’t usually think about how unique and amazing this language is! - Double-edged sword I think. Gives us unique identity, but can also cause problems.

5. No natural disasters: This is something we – or at least I – often take for granted. - OK, true. But we got 'man-made' disasters like 'ponding'. So...

6. Racial and ethnic diversity: This is one of the most special things about Singapore. - Yes, but I'm afraid it seems to be starting to erode lately.

7. Religious freedom and tolerance: It’s nice how we all get along pretty well. - Mostly. See above. I'd daresay most simply tolerate and ignore rather than make noise.

8. Internet access: You’re reading this, which means you have Internet access. (You’re in the privileged 40 per cent that does.) - OK, true.

9. You have a smartphone or a computer: These powerful tools are only available to a minority of the world’s population. - Can see it as glass half full or empty. Nowadays places like India are catching up fast already.

10. Connectivity: Referring to Points #8 and 9, you can communicate with people around the world instantaneously. - Fair enough

11. Opportunities for generosity: Referring to Point #10, you can potentially add value to millions of people through a blog post, video or podcast. The Internet allows us to be tremendously generous! - Er, really? From what I see our folks here use Internet for frivolous reasons like Stomp

12. You can read: 774 million adults can’t, so let’s appreciate this gift. - Not everyone here can as well

13. In all likelihood, you went to school: Referring to Point #12, this probably means that you’ve had an education. (121 million children are out of education.) - That doesn't mean it's of any good. For all we know uneducated folks could be smarter than those produced from our system

14. Libraries: Singapore has more than 25 National Library Board libraries, where you can read thousands of books for free. - Nobody reads anymore

15. Endless ways to learn and improve: Referring to Points #8 and 14, if you want to learn about almost anything in the world, you can. You can improve yourself as long as you have the drive to. - Same applies to everywhere

16. Clean drinking water: You have access to clean drinking water (780 million people don’t.) - This one I have to agree

17. Electricity: You have electricity in your home. (1.3 billion people don’t.) - And we pay through our nose for it

18. Clean streets: Thank you to all the hardworking people who keep our streets clean, every single day! - Half-half. Also down to people not littering (which is good). Anyway Singapore doesn't seem as clean as last time I think.

19. Nice public housing: In most other countries, you wouldn’t use “public housing” and “nice” in the same sentence. - Nice in what sense? Design, probably, but size and livability, arguable. Also, not f**king cheap.

20. Safety: It’s (generally) safe to walk the streets after dark. - This one I agree (unless got riot)

21. Changi Airport: Our airport is so nice that people go there to hang out. There are few airports in the world where people do that. - Another one that I agree, very much in fact

22. Parks and beaches: We have plenty of well-maintained parks and beaches. - Plenty? Our beaches only really East Coast and Sentosa that are 'nice'. Parks, OK only la.

23. Clean government: No matter what your views are on the government, you’ll probably agree that, at least, it’s not corrupt. - Yeah, right.

24. Air-conditioned shopping malls: If you want air-conditioning, you can walk into any shopping mall. And we have a lot of shopping malls. - Fair enough.

25. Air-conditioned public transportation: 97 per cent of public buses are air-conditioned, and so are our trains. - Not always working though

26. MRT and LRT: The train system works well (in general), and the network is expanding. Getting around is becoming even more convenient. - Acknowledge the effort to expand, but right now I agree to disagree

27. People line up at MRT stations: People line up when waiting for the train. I remember the time when this wasn’t the case! - Now also not the case

28. We “chope” seats using packets of tissue paper: This practice is more remarkable than we give it credit for. - I don't see why this is a good thing

29. “Aunties” and “Uncles”: We call every somewhat old person either “Auntie” or “Uncle”. Visitors to Singapore find this curious, which reminds me that it’s a fascinating practice. - Again, don't see the point

30. You’re alive: This is the most important one, because it means that you can make a difference to someone today. As Maya Angelou once said, “As long as you’re breathing, it’s never too late to do some good.” - Okay.

I agree with some, like airport, safety and water, but honestly I feel that we ought to do better in many things which we used to be very good at, like housing and racial harmony and tolerance. We absolutely need to wake up and smell the coffee.

• Praise 2

Can we do better in 8/10/26/27/28?

8/10) I hate it when signal show full bar and cannot connect. I hate it when claimed max upload/dowload figures so far apart from the actual world.

26/27) system is great but the people using it ain't.

28) if we can all share seats in the first place. Going to crowded countries for example is so normal to share seats with some strangers. Is so easy to talk to strangers. And here when you even try to talk to a girl....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3