Drive Well Get Spotted Campaign

StefanK

BY ADRIAN LIM

When Mr Lim Kan Seng's Toyota Previa was pulled over by the Traffic Police along New Upper Changi Road yesterday morning, he panicked a little.

Mr Lim, 50, a hawker, thought he might be in for a summons, but what he received instead were a zebra plush toy and $40 worth of petrol vouchers.

"I thought I had done something wrong... but the police said they saw me giving way to another driver, and wanted to commend me," he said.

"I had just turned left into the main road when another car was trying to cut into my lane from the right, so I let him pass."

Mr Lim was among seven motorists who were pulled over on the roads yesterday for displaying good driving habits, as part of a nine-hour island-wide "Spot the Conscientious Motorists" operation conducted by the police.

Since the programme started in October 2013, 391 motorists have been identified and rewarded.

Motorists get a commendation certificate, in addition to the road safety mascot toy and vouchers.

Besides operations to recognise considerate drivers, officers keep a lookout for good driving habits - such as signalling early and giving way to other road users - during their daily patrols.

Failing to signal is a common offence on Singapore roads: 546 summonses for this were issued in the first six months of last year, the highest in three years.

Another motorist spotted yesterday was taxi driver Toh Teck Hui, 63.

He was turning into a public carpark in Bedok North Street 1, but stopped to give way to two pedestrians and a cyclist.

"The police said I displayed courtesy," he said.

While Mr Lim said being recognised was a good form of encouragement, he admitted that he had become more conscientious after being fined $150 a decade ago for a road offence.

He said: "I was driving too slowly in the extreme-right lane of the expressway. I initially thought there was nothing wrong with that."

[email protected]

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/transport/story/motorists-get-pulled-over-doing-good-20150109#sthash.uQPnm9wE.dpuf

Drive well and get stopped by TP - receive plush toy and $40 petrol vouchers!

On another note, roadhogging is punishable - 10 years ago. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

QUOTE:

He was turning into a public carpark in Bedok North Street 1, but stopped to give way to two pedestrians and a cyclist.

"The police said I displayed courtesy," he said.

Last time some idiot did this infront of me, the pedestrain are in my blind spot and almost kiss the bugger.

Stop and give way much check whether any cars behind you first or not.

Especially you are already driving so slow and people gets impatient with you, tailgate you and you stop suddenly.

Just for $40/- petrol voucher and a stuff toy ..... [grin]

One should know the stress when a TP pull you to the side of the road. One will be shocked which could lead to a 'heart attack'. [sweatdrop]

Want to give, give $150/- petrol voucher lar to cover the stress lar... [rolleyes]

• Praise 1

aiyah....this morning got Volvo s80 tp beside me...I shouldn't have overtaken the roadhogging bike, I only remembered to signal hehe ^_^

come to think of it, will TP cars be full of plush toys??

and looks like MCF drivers quite inconsiderate hor! 391 but don't have one tio MCF driver!

Edited by Knoobie

Give $40 vouchers and zebra for being good

Take back double in cash and when you commit offence... [:/]

Edited by Strat

I got rewarded that time leh.. no BS.That was before my toing chia days though.

Many years ago, this campaign is quite BS one. Some TP will give the rewards to their friends.

Seriously, why zebra?

Give zebra plush toy. So lame sia...

Overtake liao, u should wayang wayang wave wave... flash winsome smile mar!

aiyah....this morning got Volvo s80 tp beside me...I shouldn't have overtaken the roadhogging bike, I only remembered to signal hehe ^_^

Seriously, why zebra?

Zebra is what you get when you task a committee to design a horse. Ask a committee what to give to courteous motorist? Zebra... [grin]

ah... zebra.. so inspirational!

Zebra is what you get when you task a committee to design a horse. Ask a committee what to give to courteous motorist? Zebra... [grin]

Overtake liao, u should wayang wayang wave wave... flash winsome smile mar!

On ah...the next time see TP mai tu liao...bring out the singa courtesy lion in me....my car stock so not scared other things hahaha

Turbocharged

That why I use the word some and not all mah. My ex colleague boyfriend was a TP and my colleagues who drive during that time got the rewards. [lipsrsealed]:D

too bad I can't afford to own a car that time.....

si bei boh liao campaign.

Nothing better to do.

Boh liao is called campaign.

Got liao is called action.

So all campaigns no actions. [:p]

• Praise 1