Flashpay credit card, beware

Kb27

packed the wallet with multiple cards/papers then not so easy to detect. I can't scan my ezlink in my wallet and have to take it out every time [sweatdrop]

no wonder iphone didn't include NFC in their phone [laugh]

iPhone 6 and plus has NFC but only limited to Apple Pay so right now still very safe. [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

Akan Datang... iPhone 7.

iPhone 6 already has NFC...

Is it possible to disable the nfc feature?

You can disable the NFC feature on the phone, but you cannot disable the card from responding to a NFC reader's read command.

If you pack a few cards side by side, I think the reader would be somewhat confused and cannot read all of them. Disclaimer: I have never tried this before.

Sure-fire way, buy a metallic card shield and keep your Visa Paywave, MasterCard PayPass etc inside the shield.

• Praise 1

Is it possible to disable the nfc feature?

Of course can...if you not using it...then turn on when you need to use. Most people dont bother and left it on all the time...

The danger is vastly overstated. NFC has limited range (usually unable to overcome wallet plus pant pocket "obstacle"), plus it gets confused by more than one card (which most people carry in their wallets).

The least credible part is that - after all that dire warning about super high tech hackers using this tech to rip you off by zombifying and trojaning your phone, then phishing for your own data and that of others through NFC and transmitting it silently to Russia (or wherever) - all he can recommend is "antivirus software"?? Get real. Most antivirus software on the PC can't even keep up with new PC viruses (which are often more prevalent, and therefore more cutting-edge), how can one expect phone antiviruses developers to be more proactive in preventing such a cutting-edge attack?

BTW, I *do* have AVG on my Android phone. All it does is give me spurious threat warnings when my bank sends me messages warning me of larger CC transactions. I have no confidence that it'll be able to thwart such a new-fangled threat.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 3

If you have a flashpay credit card, beware.

It used NFC and can be read by rogue readers and apps, just by someone standing beside you.

Even mobile phone now has NFC which opens up another security concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKks3vfiy6Q

Your avatar tricked me again.

I thought some ant on my phone then before I brush off the ant I realize it's you.

Your avatar tricked me again.

I thought some ant on my phone then before I brush off the ant I realize it's you.

Because of @Kb27, this forum will always be buggy. :D

• Praise 1

I remember a while back when the keyfobs started unlocking your car from a distance away there was a similar warning about people being able to intercept the information and steal your car at will, etc etc

Until now, I don't think I have heard of cars being stolen this way.

The danger is vastly overstated. NFC has limited range (usually unable to overcome wallet plus pant pocket "obstacle"), plus it gets confused by more than one card (which most people carry in their wallets).

The least credible part is that - after all that dire warning about super high tech hackers using this tech to rip you off by zombifying and trojaning your phone, then phishing for your own data and that of others through NFC and transmitting it silently to Russia (or wherever) - all he can recommend is "antivirus software"?? Get real. Most antivirus software on the PC can't even keep up with new PC viruses (which are often more prevalent, and therefore more cutting-edge), how can one expect phone antiviruses developers to be more proactive in preventing such a cutting-edge attack?

BTW, I *do* have AVG on my Android phone. All it does is give me spurious threat warnings when my bank sends me messages warning me of larger CC transactions. I have no confidence that it'll be able to thwart such a new-fangled threat.

I remember a while back when the keyfobs started unlocking your car from a distance away there was a similar warning about people being able to intercept the information and steal your car at will, etc etc

Until now, I don't think I have heard of cars being stolen this way.

No, it's far more likely that the cowboys up North will come at you armed with parangs once you open the door from a distance. The low tech approach. :D

• Praise 1

packed the wallet with multiple cards/papers then not so easy to detect. I can't scan my ezlink in my wallet and have to take it out every time [sweatdrop]

Sama sama... [grin][grin]

There's a android app called Banking Card Reader.

If you run this app and hold your NFC phone near the card, you can pick up credit card number, expiry date.