Public Alcohol consumption bill-Cannot have a beer at a BBQ!

Darryn

Something from my own history...

Six o’clock closing has been seen by many commentators as teaching two generations of Kiwi men to drink as fast as possible, contributing to a binge-drinking culture. While early closing was promoted as a way to ensure that men got home to their families at a respectable hour, critics questioned the state they were in when they did so.

I very seriously wonder what the idea of "cannot have a beer in public after 10:30" is going to promote.

In some senses it attempts to address a problem in isolated areas -

But is it using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut, and what is it teaching people about Singapore? About personal responsibility?

About doing what is right?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Something from my own history...

I very seriously wonder what the idea of "cannot have a beer in public after 10:30" is going to promote.

In some senses it attempts to address a problem in isolated areas -

But is it using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut, and what is it teaching people about Singapore? About personal responsibility?

About doing what is right?

Indian nationals riot in Little India is Singaporeans' fault mah

no wonder outsider said spore is a control freak nation

want to control and want to be controlled

Edited by Wt_know

Sg we have a lot of law...example no smoking near shopping centre, bus stop, playground, void deck, corridor and MRT. but what is the point when there is no enforcement!

That's what I thought so too.

Then realise smoking is governed by NEA

Drinking is enforced by police, thus could be more effective.

Good lah I suppork.

Ppl will stop drinking in void decks and parks. If can discourage ppl to drink and drive lagi better.

Drinking responsibly is just a myth made up by drunks. What good can come out of drinking? If it's that good why dun your boss let you drink while you are working? Should end this BS long ago.

• Praise 2

If i am not mistaken, the UK also has law prohibiting drinking liquor in public places.

Problem is how to enforce? Police patrols already stretched out thinly such that you rarely even see them.

Edited by Sosaria

Also i figure if the police can be so "on the ball" to enforce the no-drinking rule, why not just look out for and take action against drunks causing trouble in the first place?

Many people have a beer in public without being drunk and making trouble - seems overkill to target everybody with this law.

Its so unfortunate,thought u need to be 21 to buy beer,however not treated as adult,gov should hv confident w our police,juz bcause of a riot at little india,start ban beer! Wow piang... Anyway we.did not bring the prob in !!!

• Praise 1

so coffeeshop can sell until what time? If 10.30 jiak lat liao.

Their licence not affected.

In fact their business may improve after 1030pm.

But I forsee the sales of opaque water bottle to increase.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1