Career Advice Needed

Chuapcd

Just tell Coy A the truth that you find Coy A work more interesting and like to work there but another company offered slightly higher pay.

Accept the offer, at the same time ask nicely if they would consider increasing the pay after probation. For 100-200, Coy A probably would agree, as long as you don't show nasty attitude/behaviour....

If I mention about Co B and say Co A is more interesting, won't they ask why am I not willing to sacrifice 1-200 to work in a job that I'm more keen in?

↡ Advertisement

I would assume you are taking up Coy A offer even without the 1-200 extra. So you are "sacrificing" already .... but just asking them to "consider" the small adjustment after probation, it is not a demand.

Personally I would say being in a job and working environment you like is worth more than 100-200.

All the best!

• Praise 2

Hi I'm in a dilemma now. I have 2 job offers from company A and B. I'm more keen on company A but company B pays more. The offer from company A is the same as my expected pay in my application. Should I ask company A if it is possible to negotiate for an extra $1-200 more? Will they be put off and totally withdraw their offer? Should I inform them that I have another offer from company B also?

Why are you more keen on company A?

• Praise 1

Hi I'm in a dilemma now. I have 2 job offers from company A and B. I'm more keen on company A but company B pays more. The offer from company A is the same as my expected pay in my application. Should I ask company A if it is possible to negotiate for an extra $1-200 more? Will they be put off and totally withdraw their offer? Should I inform them that I have another offer from company B also?

Well, getting 1-200 more to work at a company you dun like worth it? Since you indicated your expected salary, do you think it will not back fire if you ask for more just because other offered you more? Not to mention, there are tons of cheaper workforce out there waiting for land a job....

• Praise 1

1) Should I ask company A if it is possible to negotiate for an extra $1-200 more?

- Yes you can definitely bring it up for discussion. The stated expected salary in your resume is very much just a reference, and actual expectation can and do fluctuate; for instance, after the interview the applicant has a clearer picture of his expected scope and responsibilities, and feels he should be paid higher to take them up so he asks for a higher salary. So just ask if there are room for negotiation, and let them counter offer you. If they ask you how much, just give them an indication slightly higher than what you have in mind. But always do it professionally and politely, never go in with a "my way or no way" attitude.

2) Will they be put off and totally withdraw their offer?

- Usually no. Unless you are applying for those family-ran uncle companies, the people who interview and offer you are likely salaried staffs themselves. When they are tasked to recruit they also want to get the job done, so they won't brush you off lightly, especially when you've already passed all their interviews and they've decided to offer you. They will more likely try to meet your request, or if not, try to meet you half way. Worst case, they tell you it is not possible and you'll have to either take it or leave it, not likely that they will simply tell you to get lost just because you opened your mouth and asked for a higher salary. But I say again, regardless of whether you take it or leave it, always do it professionally and politely.

3) Should I inform them that I have another offer from company B also?

- Based on the applicant's credentials, the nature of the job, and the company culture, different companies will react differently to this situation. So ask yourself, what is it that you have to offer Company A, and can they get it (easily) from someone else? Meaning would you be worth them "fighting over" for? If you are confident enough on this, you may want to hint on a potential second offer from someone else, but personally I would not advise it, and never ever use it as an ultimatum. After all, if you think you deserve a better remuneration package, YOU (your capabilities, your talents, your unique points of view etc.) should be the main reason why you deserve it, and not because someone else thinks so.

Just my $0.02, hope it helps and good luck to you in your job quest. [thumbsup]

Edit to add it one more point; If you truly like Company A and the job it is offering you, and it is already meeting your original salary expectations, then you might want to consider if it is really worth the hassle (and potential reversed effect) to ask for the additional $100~$200.

Edited by efssc
  • Praise 2

if was a big company then likely the HR will have offered you this amount. To re-adjust then either have to wait for further discussion or burst the case.... if you feel wanna take a risk for the extra 1-200, you got to prepare for the worse.

if was a big company then likely the HR will have offered you this amount. To re-adjust then either have to wait for further discussion or burst the case.... if you feel wanna take a risk for the extra 1-200, you got to prepare for the worse.

agree that if you state the expected, they have done the calculating before giving you the offer. Any changes they have to go through the process again, doesn't look good on the candidate.

tell u,got 2 offer..play safe sign first

my last job hunt got 3...earliest 2 say offer..

end up the 3rd n latest one..more sincere n chop chop sign

end up first 2..no news..lol..say since i accept liao then nvm..lol

• Praise 1

Sian dont know what to do now. I only worry company A withdraw the offer totally. If the pay they offered is what I put in my application does it mean that they could actually afford to pay more?

Yes they can.

:D

Tell comp A you had an offer from comp B and they offered you $200 more.

So now your expect comp A to pay to $500 more.

The fact that company made an offer of $200 more for you

will make comp A very happy. Now they know they have a very

good staff that is in demand in "the market"

and the "market rate" of pay is $200 more.

If comp A don't know another company wants you

and is willing tro pay more then they may feel you are not

a valuable staff and that the salary they offered you is too much.

• Praise 2

Yes they can.

agreed.

for $100-$200 more i wouldnt risk a job i enjoy. besides, if my performance is good, (and the environment is as good as you say,) then most likely you will be able to do well and renegotiate down the road lo.

• Praise 2

Thanks for all your advice. The negotiation wasn't really successful but at least the original offer is still there.

So A or B?

A for me lol

Good for you! Better choose something you like for a little less than to compromise just for that couple of hundreds.

Good for you! Better choose something you like for a little less than to compromise just for that couple of hundreds.

Thanks! Will work hard in this company. Should have put in a higher expected salary though, abit regret. The couple of hundreds actually is about 10% increase in my pay due to my low pay.

• Praise 1

Thanks! Will work hard in this company. Should have put in a higher expected salary though, abit regret. The couple of hundreds actually is about 10% increase in my pay due to my low pay.

Nevermind. Work hard. Your boss will see it and pay rise will come. [:)]

Nevermind. Work hard. Your boss will see it and pay rise will come. [:)]

Yup. A good boss will definitely recognize hard work and reward it accordingly (even to the extent of arguing with the HR dept).

If boss is lousy, then just gain some experience and ask him to f-spider once you get a better offer.

↡ Advertisement