Facebook / Instagram down

Mockngbrd

agree. our lives are too intertwined to our social media accounts. no fb means non existent... 

There is no FB in China hor and 1 billion people survive [:p]. Such social media stuff are good for entertainment but never good to serious things. No FB there is still MCF mah  :a-good: 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

There is no FB in China hor and 1 billion people survive [:p]. Such social media stuff are good for entertainment but never good to serious things. No FB there is still MCF mah :a-good:

their weibo more active than FB, young kids now dun use fb anymore.
  • Praise 2

There is no FB in China hor and 1 billion people survive [:p]. Such social media stuff are good for entertainment but never good to serious things. No FB there is still MCF mah :a-good:

yeah, what i meant was we should not be too connected to our social media platforms and forget the physical interactions with each other, be it fb or MCF or weibo...

their weibo more active than FB, young kids now dun use fb anymore.

that is why i am very surprised to find official replies in FB. anything official, please do it in their respective official web page. when i read FB, i never take info there seriously but entertainment.

today is FB or weibo, tomorrow can be any other social web sites. they come and go easily. 

One minute. All it took was one minute, maybe even less, to miss the precious moment your wife and child just shared. Your little boy just learned to use a straw! I saw it all. Your lovely wife making sipping motions with her lips, your boy trying it and not getting it right away, the split-second surprise of cold soda getting into his mouth, and finally, their glee at the discovery of this new skill.

I, a complete stranger, clapped right along with them from across the room, as your eyes stayed glued to your phone.

I’m not judging. It could be an important message for work or it could be a new notification that a friend liked your post on Instagram. Whichever the case, I’m not going to raise my eyebrow at you, but I’m sad for you.

How many milestones have you missed? How many times has your son looked to you for approval or affirmation, only to be unseen? How many times has your wife had to repeat her question because you weren’t paying attention? How many times has the dinner lovingly prepared for you gone cold?

All these missed moments are chipping away at your family’s happiness.

I don’t know you, but I want you to know that your relationship with your phone is already hurting your relationship with your family.

I want you to know, because your wife and your little boy need you to put that phone down for one minute. Look at them. Talk to them. Hug them. Share a smile.

When your wife asks you for me-time instead of screen-time, it’s not nagging or a guilt-trip – it’s a cry for help. Heed it, because she needs you back.

Your Facebook feed can wait. Instead of catching up on everyone else’s adventures, make memories of your own.

Your Pokemon Go can wait. You’ll lose a catch, but you’ll win admiration from your son.

Even your boss’s email can wait. Isn’t all the work you’re doing for your family, anyway?

Because if you keep letting your family wait, guess what you’re missing?

One lifetime. The one chance we get on Earth to be with the ones we love. The one chance you get at being husband and dad.

Every now and then, detach yourself from the virtual world and be present in this one, where your wife and son are sipping cold sodas and learning new songs everyday.

• Praise 1

Facebook is losing younger users to Snapchat, according to a study

Younger people are abandoning Facebook and flocking to Snapchat at an increasing rate, according to a study released Monday.

The research, by New York-based firm eMarketer, said that, in 2018, less than half of Americans aged between 12 and 17 will use Facebook at least once a month.

EMarketer said it expects Facebook to lose 2 million users under the age of 25 this year and that Snapchat will pick up 1.9 million users within that age bracket.

Snapchat recently updated its app with a redesign aimed at making the service easier to use. The overhaul kept the social element of the app separate from media, with one page devoted to interacting with friends' Snapchat stories and messages, while another runs a feed of video content from media outlets.

Facebook's monthly user growth is coming from older rather than younger users, the study said.

"Snapchat could eventually experience more growth in older age groups, since it's redesigning its platform to be easier to use," Debra Aho Williamson, principal analyst at eMarketer, said in a statement Monday.

"The question will be whether younger users will still find Snapchat cool if more of their parents and grandparents are on it. That's the predicament Facebook is in."

Facebook will still be the dominant social network of the two in 2018, however, with 169.5 million U.S. users compared to Snapchat's 86.5 million U.S. users.

Facebook was not immediately available for comment when contacted by CNBC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/12/facebook-is-losing-younger-users-to-snapchat-according-to-a-study.html

https://www.techspot.com/news/73267-facebook-promotes-vpn-under-onavo-brand-collects-even.html

Facebook promotes a VPN under the Onavo brand that collects even more data on you Apparently it thinks VPN stands for 'virtual peeking network' By Cal Jeffrey  on Feb 13, 2018, 5:05 PM
2018-02-13-image-23.jpg

In case you haven’t noticed, the Facebook mobile app now has an option in its menu called "Protect." When you tap this function, you are redirected to the app store where you can download "Onavo Protect - VPN Security" put out by Onavo, Inc.

If you are a long-time reader of TechSpot, you may have caught our report of Facebook’s acquisition of Onavo way back in 2013. The fact that Facebook owns Onavo is not readily apparent to those who might be thinking the app is an independent privacy tool unless you read its full description. Those who already know what a VPN is might not bother with the blurb and trust Onavo as an impartial entity.

Why does Onavo’s ownership matter? It matters because it is widely held that Facebook’s primary policy regarding your privacy is that you can exclude anyone from gathering your information except (well, aside from Facebook). Therefore, knowing that Facebook has a stake in the application might raise a red flag for many people.

To those people, it might not come as a surprise that the Onavo app, in addition to providing your mobile phone with a VPN, also collects data from the device and sends it to a central server for analysis.

2018-02-13-image-24.jpg

This data collection and Facebook's ownership of the company are disclosed in a "how it works" section at the bottom of the app’s description. The very last paragraph reads:

"Onavo uses a VPN to establish a secure connection to direct all of your network communications through Onavo’s servers. As part of this process, Onavo collects your mobile data traffic. This helps us improve and operate the Onavo service by analyzing your use of websites, apps and data. Because we're part of Facebook, we also use this info to improve Facebook products and services, gain insights into the products and services people value, and build better experiences."

Notice how it is collecting "your use of websites, apps, and data." This is a very generic description that could literally mean anything on your phone including your location. It also appears to be saying it monitors activity across applications. So essentially the app could be tracking you in almost every conceivable way. Whether you are using the Facebook app, a web browser, your GPS, or any other program; if there is data to be collected from it, Onavo will have access to it.

Facebook is not being entirely shady as far as transparency is concerned since it does list these matters in the description. However, placing the information at the bottom of a product blurb that most people are going to skip reading is certainly an effective strategy to get an invasive tool onto people’s phones. The fact that a VPN app is collecting your data is already counter-intuitive enough without the tucked away effort at transparency.

Facebook has not issued a statement or comment regarding this new "feature," but as the story has been picked up by most major news outlets including CNBC, it is likely that Zuckerberg and team will address users’ concerns before long.

• Praise 2

Facebook is losing younger users to Snapchat, according to a study

From a marketer's POV, Facebook has more LTV ROI as compared to Snapchat. Ironically, ad revenue is the reason why audiences are moving from FB to Snap.

Users have evolved and are now smarter - they instinctively avoid native ads, sponsored/boost posts and all the other shebang that FB constantly rolls out and tortures marketers with. Snap users need 3 seconds more than FB users to recognize an ad, thus making it look like there's more ROI in advertising on Snap. But 3 biggies - #1 Snap has 24hr visibility (yes I am aware that it can be set for longer than 24hrs), #2 SEO is close to zero, #3 no desktop.

Most folks have now been conditioned to Google any and every thing, having no text/permanent SEO just cos they choose to ad with videos on Snap could potentially kill an upcoming brand. Younger users tend to save their sponsored geofilters and repost them on FB/IG anyway, that's clearly 2-to-1 in terms of media mention plus it will be there forever. 

While FB took some bashing for copying features from Snap, releasing IG stories hit Snap quite badly and slowed their growth noticeably. Snap tried to innovate and released Specs, but it was a big fail. They'll need a brand new game to overtake social media. Facebook refresh addiction is very real, and already ingrained in some people.

Just 2 cents from the mistress of 2-cent CPAs.

↡ Advertisement