• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
477 replies to this topic | 2,153 praises

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:35 PM

Huuray
  • Huuray
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Any real life experience where nurse eventually take up the relevant qualification and become a doctor?

Does the hospital sponsor them?

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:07 AM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Any real life experience where nurse eventually take up the relevant qualification and become a doctor?

Does the hospital sponsor them?

Not that I heard off. Cos to be a basic nurse, let's say female, by the time you graduate, you are about 21 years old. By six years time you are a senior nurse there.

Let's say you wanna be a medical Dr. After three years of working,you are 24, you apply for medical school with hospital sponsorship. You start at 25 and you are the most junior Dr at 31. By the time you start contributing you are 32 at least. Age increases for males and if you started working beyond the age of 21 or you needed more than 3 yrs to prove to the hospital you are worth sponsoring.

Enrolled nurse to RN, yes. But not RN to Dr. Not to my knowledge anyway. Unless we have an excess of RN and shortage of Dr, probably will remain this way.

Self sponsor? Not to my knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:58 PM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Applicable to life as a nurse.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2018-12-31 09.47.39.jpg

Davidtch praised this

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:27 PM

iyongjunn
  • iyongjunn
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Hi, I am interest in being nursing and have a passion for helping others. I am currently in the third year of my diploma (not nursing) due to parents persuasion at the time.

I have just recently found out that I have bilateral hearing loss due to ns medical checkup.
I would like to know whether it is still possible for me to be a nurse or have another job in the other health sector as I really do have a passion and interest in nursing.

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:14 AM

iyongjunn
  • iyongjunn
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

From the ns medical checkup*

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hi, I am interest in being nursing and have a passion for helping others. I am currently in the third year of my diploma (not nursing) due to parents persuasion at the time.

I have just recently found out that I have bilateral hearing loss due to ns medical checkup.
I would like to know whether it is still possible for me to be a nurse or have another job in the other health sector as I really do have a passion and interest in nursing.

Depending on severity, bilateral hearing loss can interfere with your ability to be a nurse cos you are not able to hear patients and other health care professionals clearly.

I know of someone who was an OK student but kept offending people during attachments and kept failing to the point of being sacked. At the last moment it was found there was hearing loss and the student was giving hearing aids and the student finally passed.

So hearing loss bilaterally, assuming it's not so severe that you cannot hear anything at all or to the point that normal communication is affected, is not something that will stop you from being a nurse jobs provided you take steps to mitigate it.

Why don't you try wearing hearing aids and serving your NS and if no issue using them then apply for nursing after that? You are currently in the third year of a poly course so I don't think you should quit at this juncture just to join nursing.

Cheers
RH1667 praised this

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:41 PM

iyongjunn
  • iyongjunn
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Hi, thanks for the help and information on it.
I am currently planning to finish my poly course and after ns I plan to apply for nursing.
I am diagnosed with moderate hearing loss the ENT doctor at Sgh said that hearing aids are not nessary for me.

Cheers

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:55 PM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

You can practice CPR here if you don't want to go for the course. It's at punggol safra main lobby. I am not sure if they will start putting more kiosks island wide.

Of cos the cpr course is still the best but if no money no time and you are going by punggol safra, you can practice if needed.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190401_142953.jpg

RH1667 praised this

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:16 AM

ellywu126
  • Premium member
    ellywu126
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Hi, I'm Malaysian, currently in mid twenties. I'm interested in medical field and currently working as a dental Assistant in sg. I am interested in taking up the dip. In nursing course either from NYP or NP. May I ask what are the chances of becoming PR if I've managed to become a RN and serve my 3 year bond? And does nurse do a lot of overtime? I wanna clear my doubts before setting up my mind to go for this route as after becoming PR, I can take up degree in a cheaper tuition fees.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:53 AM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hi, I'm Malaysian, currently in mid twenties. I'm interested in medical field and currently working as a dental Assistant in sg. I am interested in taking up the dip. In nursing course either from NYP or NP. May I ask what are the chances of becoming PR if I've managed to become a RN and serve my 3 year bond? And does nurse do a lot of overtime? I wanna clear my doubts before setting up my mind to go for this route as after becoming PR, I can take up degree in a cheaper tuition fees.

I will just answer two points.

1) can you become a PR after your three year bond? Should be no issue as you are Malaysian. Many of my friends became PR with no issues.

2) overtime? Depends on what you mean by overtime.

a) if you are supposed to handover at 1600, there are time when you must stay back until 1700 to tie up loose ends in your reports or there is delay in handing over.

b) doing double shift. Rare unless you are in private sector. UNLESS there is a civil emergency but touch wood rarely happens

c) stay back after shift to attend inservice -> depends cos you have to attend in service to get points but you can decide when to go and depending on dept you might be able to go during official hours

d) dept meetings. It'd after your shift (unless you wanna come during off days) but it's once month or less than that if meeting always falls on your shift then you are exempted from attending.

e) courses/conferences. Depends. Can be official hours or after shift. Happens. You can call it upgrading sessions or "tekan". Depending on your thinking.
Othello, Lala81 and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:10 PM

ellywu126
  • Premium member
    ellywu126
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I will just answer two points.

1) can you become a PR after your three year bond? Should be no issue as you are Malaysian. Many of my friends became PR with no issues.

2) overtime? Depends on what you mean by overtime.

a) if you are supposed to handover at 1600, there are time when you must stay back until 1700 to tie up loose ends in your reports or there is delay in handing over.

b) doing double shift. Rare unless you are in private sector. UNLESS there is a civil emergency but touch wood rarely happens

c) stay back after shift to attend inservice -> depends cos you have to attend in service to get points but you can decide when to go and depending on dept you might be able to go during official hours

d) dept meetings. It'd after your shift (unless you wanna come during off days) but it's once month or less than that if meeting always falls on your shift then you are exempted from attending.

e) courses/conferences. Depends. Can be official hours or after shift. Happens. You can call it upgrading sessions or "tekan". Depending on your thinking.

Hi Philipkee thanks for your prompt reply. May I know how long will it take for a Malaysian to become pr after graduated from dip. In nursing? Will we be hired under work permit or s pass while serving the bond? I am worried by investing 6 years or more, I might be too old to go for degree in future. What do you think?

Edited by ellywu126, 10 April 2019 - 12:18 PM.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:29 PM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hi Philipkee thanks for your prompt reply. May I know how long will it take for a Malaysian to become pr after graduated from dip. In nursing? Will we be hired under work permit or s pass while serving the bond? I am worried by investing 6 years or more, I might be too old to go for degree in future. What do you think?

From what I know it's S pass. And before that it's student pass when studying here.

PR i not too sure. My friends were offered this while serving their bond but not sure when exactly was the offer.

It's never too late to take a degree
Some take it in their 30s. There is a trend that immediately after getting a diploma one goes for degree upgrading or its too late. I don't agree with it but it's up to you.

BUT studying a degree in nursing full time is very expensive and part time is very tiring so it really depends on when you wanna do your degree. No rush but don't do it when you are married with kids for example. Most get their degree while serving their binds.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

Fitvip
  • Fitvip
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hope this helps.

https://www.ica.gov....PR/apply_PR_who

Angcheek praised this

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:03 PM

ellywu126
  • Premium member
    ellywu126
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

From what I know it's S pass. And before that it's student pass when studying here.

PR i not too sure. My friends were offered this while serving their bond but not sure when exactly was the offer.

It's never too late to take a degree
Some take it in their 30s. There is a trend that immediately after getting a diploma one goes for degree upgrading or its too late. I don't agree with it but it's up to you.

BUT studying a degree in nursing full time is very expensive and part time is very tiring so it really depends on when you wanna do your degree. No rush but don't do it when you are married with kids for example. Most get their degree while serving their binds.

I see. Thank you so much for your help. Actually I am currently still waiting for the outcome of my application for dip in nursing for both poly. Appeal for NP as they rejected me once. Hopefully I get to enrol cause I am very sure this is the path I want. I've been doing a lot of researches on nursing and even started working as a dental Assistant with zero medical knowledge, just to know my ability in medical line. Fortunately I passed my probation.

Anyways really appreciate your effort for clarifying my doubts :)

Btw also thanks Fitvip for your help.

Edited by ellywu126, 10 April 2019 - 04:29 PM.

Philipkee praised this

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

Fitvip
  • Fitvip
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

U r welcome.

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:36 PM

ellywu126
  • Premium member
    ellywu126
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Hi, it's me again. May I know what you think about the dip in nursing of Parkway College? Is it better to study in the poly or private institution?
Philipkee praised this

Posted 28 April 2019 - 10:05 PM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hi, it's me again. May I know what you think about the dip in nursing of Parkway College? Is it better to study in the poly or private institution?

Sorry for late reply.  Sometimes I don't look at this thread so if you want to  ask me something, quote my name (or give a praise :D) so that something appears on my notifications (email notifications end up in junk mail unless I was quoted).

I will say this.

Diploma in Nursing in Parkway College tends to teach you the basics of nursing in Parkway Hospitals.  Meaning once you go to Parkway College, when you go for attachments, you are mainly in Parkway Hospitals. so when you graduate, you will fit in better in the Parkway system.

Nursing in polytechnics tend to teach you the basics of nursing in govt hospitals.  Meaning your attachments are only in govt hospitals and its the same.  Once you graduate you function better in a govt hospital than private hospitals.  I bold and italic the govt hospital (singular) because there is another thing.   If you are sponsored, you are attached to the same hospital mostly and when you graduate you work there, no issue.  If you are self sponsored, you are lets say attached to TTSH.  After graduation, let's say you want to work at SGH, there is still a culture shock but it is usually not as bad as compared to the culture shock between studying in a private institution and working in a govt hospital and vice versa.

This might seem to be a minor point but it is actually a MAJOR POINT depending on where you plan to work after graduation.  If you are self sponsoring and just want a diploma, then both are equally good.

If you are saying which school is better in teaching nursing, let's say in terms of skills, I will not comment because I have conflict of interests in both sides with regards to this so any answer I give with regards to this is going to be biased and possibly not "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".

A diploma in nursing is a diploma in nursing in Singapore.  No one really cares where you get it from as long as the school is accredited.  But where you are going for attachments will affect how you work when you pass out - meaning if you are always attached to private hospitals but mean to work in public hospitals immediately after passing out, you will get a culture shock in the beginning.

After six months to one year should be no issue regardless of where you study and where you work but the initial part is always the hardest.

Hope this helps

RH1667 praised this

Posted 01 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I just learned something a few days back. I was resetting my home phone and wanted to use the home phone to call my hand phone to make sure it works. My phone number 96xx xxxx.

I kept getting the engaged tone the moment I key in 96. After fiddling a bit, I realise I made a stupid mistake. I was using my home phone to call my hand phone. Not using my office phone. And I kept pressing '9' to get the outside line when it was unnecessary since it was a home phone.

Suddenly I had a thought. If I dialed '9' first then my hand phone, the three digits are 996 which was an invalid number. But what if my number was '95xx xxxx'? I would be calling 995 over and over again, disturbing them and contributing to their stress.....

And then I wonder if it happens frequently or I am just stupid
:D ........

I think the main point of the post is be very careful if your first digit when you dial is 9 and be extra careful if the second digit is also 9.

Edited by Philipkee, 01 May 2019 - 12:01 PM.

Back to Healthcare & Wellness  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: hyundai, ask, nurse, career, i39m and 2 more...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users