COE Extension, Buy used/new car, Take bus?

mixedccr

Spend $161000 and lose that in 10years or save it and gain $1300 every month till you die?

wow thats 10% pa, how to get?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Since the advice could be different, it's important how 'THAT GUY" thinks rather than what everyone else thinks. Obviously, how he wished to think depends on his want and ability to materialise his choice. The irony in your post [confused]

There is a previous discussion, but the individual situation is different so the advice could be different.

52 year old guy middle income owning a 2008 Sti purchased new in 2009 at $124,000. The COE was $12,901 at that time ... Last year, i "blew up" the engine [thats another story] at a cost of $22,000. So the entire block is new, rad, air con compressor .... I honestly don't think i can afford the same "kind" of car at todays prices and although i drive to work everyday, driving is a hobby to me rather than a necessity. So perhaps from an "approaching retirement" point of view, what do you guys think?

My fellow forummers!! Thanks for all your input, even the short and sweet ones [smash][smash][smash]

Perhaps some more detail for clarity [maybe my own!]. I bring the issue up now, even tho my COE expires in 2019, is that it will take me that long to scrape together savings in order to settle outstanding car loan, and put DP on new car.

The retirement age issue is more of will banks extend a loan period past the the minimum retirement age [62]? If i have sizeable collateral i guess perhaps they will, but you never know. So that means i have to secure a loan at 56-57, in 4-5 years time which chun chun is also around 2019.

I too agree that i am not too keen on 2nd hand. I would rather keep my current ride, i enjoy driving it, has a new block but more importantly i know what problems to expect rather then buy used and not know what problems to expect.

Right now the more "sensible" option perhaps is to at least start saving for COE renewal [minimum], foreseeable part replacements [for next 10 years of use], plus additional in case ownership climate improves and review in 2 years time.

Or ...... withdraw CPF, cash in policies and buy a GTR .... [dizzy][smash]

I am worried that at the time that I retired with some cash and plenty of free time, will I still be able to squeeze into a GTR or similar sports car!! Better to enjoy while young and able.

I am worried that at the time that I retired with some cash and plenty of free time, will I still be able to squeeze into a GTR or similar sports car!! Better to enjoy while young and able.

Haha, imagine you got the money to buy GTR, but got problems getting into it due to back, knee cap problems

[sweatdrop]

Haha, imagine you got the money to buy GTR, but got problems getting into it due to back, knee cap problems

[sweatdrop]

Friend!! You are psychic ba .... Just the other day, i paid S$120 to see a sports medicine Consultant for chronic Left & Right knee pain. Right foot pain (plantar fasciitis). After a 10 minute assessment, he prescribed for me .............................. stretching .. [crazy]

When i put in a recaro and changed to ohlins shocks (around 2010) the seat drop by a few centimeters so everytime i get in and out of the car i have to grab the front pillar to support my body weight cos my knee damn pain. [shocked]

But never mind ........... drive damn shiok [inlove]

Edited by mixedccr

hello guys, I drive a humble 2009 toyota altis with mileage 86k . At this stage I am asking if it is worth it more to trade for a slightly newer year , EG saw a simliar 2009 altis at 60k, a 2011 altis at 80k . Which in turns means extending the coe by 2 more years for 20k for a newer 2 yr car.

OR should i just wait till 4 years later finish get a new car?.

hello guys, I drive a humble 2009 toyota altis with mileage 86k . At this stage I am asking if it is worth it more to trade for a slightly newer year , EG saw a simliar 2009 altis at 60k, a 2011 altis at 80k . Which in turns means extending the coe by 2 more years for 20k for a newer 2 yr car.

OR should i just wait till 4 years later finish get a new car?.

Other cars may be in worse condition than yours, why not wait out 4 years and extend COE after that? Unless COE is 100k, depreciation will be lower than 10k/year.

New car Price already dropping bro... just wait a while more la.,,

Used car so ex nowadays.

Your car still got 4 yrs , y rush? Unless got problem?

no problem just that instead of having to pay a big bomb 4 years later, must well start paying small amounts from now.

My condo car park is more empty these days, people still drive but less multiple cars families. Judging from the drop in COE prices, it is obvious some are giving up their wheels.

no problem just that instead of having to pay a big bomb 4 years later, must well start paying small amounts from now.

I changed from a 08 crv to a new car recently. The crv is in almost perfect condition but I change to a newer ride to enjoy better fc, lesser roadtax and maintenance. The savings I got from the new ride crosses out my monthly instalment increment. Similarly, I still do not know if I made the right decision though my new car depreciation is lesser than my old car, and I top up lesser now compare to if my car is scrapped, but that is if the new car prices remain at COE above 50K. I bought it thinking that COE may not come to below 50K and garment will implement clawback by May 2015, but it seems that the recent coe correction is pointing to lower than 50K. Guess I will only know if I made the right decision after the 2nd quota release.

Edited by Andyngps

I changed from a 08 crv to a new car recently. The crv is in almost perfect condition but I change to a newer ride to enjoy better fc, lesser roadtax and maintenance. The savings I got from the new ride crosses out my monthly instalment increment. Similarly, I still do not know if I made the right decision though my new car depreciation is lesser than my old car, and I top up lesser now compare to if my car is scrapped, but that is if the new car prices remain at COE above 50K. I bought it thinking that COE may not come to below 50K and garment will implement clawback by May 2015, but it seems that the recent coe correction is pointing to lower than 50K. Guess I will only know if I made the right decision after the 2nd quota release.

As long as u are happy with the change and can afford, how COE moves is secondary.

• Praise 1