Recommendation for Spectacles

Atrecord

Hi all,

I'm sure a lot of bros and sis out there wear glasses, so am asking for recommendations as I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.

Need to make another pair of glasses but there seems to be so many different shops around so don't quite know where to go.

Am looking for light and durable glasses, and reliable optician. I was told titanium was lightest previously. Is it still the case now?

Last did a pair 4 years ago, and since then have been using smart phones so now eyes getting blurrer… so better get another pair.

Anyone tried those progressive lens? Got 'far-sighted' at this age too, so heard some said progressive can cater to both - but apparently can make the eyes confused and blurred is it?

And i saw somewhere before got some design that allows a pair of sunglasses to wrap nicely onto a pair of prescription glasses. It's not just those generic types sold at petrol stations but is fitting nicely and comes in a set one. But it's not common as I think I've only seen it once. Anyone tried this before? Figured it would be good when driving.

tks...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

This is a good topic. I also recently tried to just walk into a shop to ask about pricing, nowadays really no joke, can be $500 or more per pair. :o

• Praise 1

there are branded spectacles with progressive len up to $1000+ or there are cheaper spectacles, progressive lens are usually more expensive.

titanium frame can range from simple unknown brand for $100+ and progressive lens is about $100+.

Queensway shopping centre have many to choose from or alternatively across the boarder and get it for half the price. I used to make a few for the kids and myself in malacca during holiday, they mail the specs to us by courier :D

there are branded spectacles with progressive len up to $1000+ or there are cheaper spectacles, progressive lens are usually more expensive.

titanium frame can range from simple unknown brand for $100+ and progressive lens is about $100+.

Queensway shopping centre have many to choose from or alternatively across the boarder and get it for half the price. I used to make a few for the kids and myself in malacca during holiday, they mail the specs to us by courier :D

i buy Daiso $2 nia :D:D

on a serious note, after my cataract op. Eyesight is 6/6 perfect! Reading glasses dun really need now too as eyes have calibrated distance accordingly

Very uncomfortable to wear one pair of glasses over another. I use these custom-shaped clip-on & flip-up polarising lenses: http://ssmt.jp/products/cf2/ Good for very bright days. Eye Essentials, Queensway Shopping Centre.

Edited by Kklim
  • Praise 1

actually, if you wanna save like me..

buy the frame from oversea or taobao.. recently i ordered a nike 7070..

after which, go jb holiday plaza and do the lens..

the whole process cost me usually less than sgd 100 as compare to sg at 300-400..

well, i'm frugal.. period.

• Praise 2

This is a good topic. I also recently tried to just walk into a shop to ask about pricing, nowadays really no joke, can be $500 or more per pair. :o

ya lor, I uncle need progressive lens with high multi index..Easily cost me > $500 even in neighbourhood shop. I change my spectacle almost every 2 years.

Sometimes, think think count count , may be it's cheaper to go for lasik in long term and convenience.

• Praise 1

For frames, I only go for Seiko or Nikon titanium. But, it's a challenge to find now. Bang for bucks; suit Asian face perfectly w/o sliding down. Great nose pad.

For lenses, I still stick to old skool glass. Cheap and good, sharp vision; scratch resistance to the max.

Trying to avoid progressive lenses as far as possible. Very expensive and no glass option. Hahaha....

Edited by Kangadrool

ya lor, I uncle need progressive lens with high multi index..Easily cost me > $500 even in neighbourhood shop. I change my spectacle almost every 2 years.

Sometimes, think think count count , may be it's cheaper to go for lasik in long term and convenience.

when i first did my progressive, the shop recommend me Ray-Ban titanium, cost me more than $600 and it didn't last 2 years <_<<_<

but i still won't go for lasik [sweatdrop]

Hi all,

I'm sure a lot of bros and sis out there wear glasses, so am asking for recommendations as I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.

Need to make another pair of glasses but there seems to be so many different shops around so don't quite know where to go.

Am looking for light and durable glasses, and reliable optician. I was told titanium was lightest previously. Is it still the case now?

Last did a pair 4 years ago, and since then have been using smart phones so now eyes getting blurrer… so better get another pair.

Anyone tried those progressive lens? Got 'far-sighted' at this age too, so heard some said progressive can cater to both - but apparently can make the eyes confused and blurred is it?

And i saw somewhere before got some design that allows a pair of sunglasses to wrap nicely onto a pair of prescription glasses. It's not just those generic types sold at petrol stations but is fitting nicely and comes in a set one. But it's not common as I think I've only seen it once. Anyone tried this before? Figured it would be good when driving.

tks...

What is your budget?You want "stylo-milo" frame, normal looking frame etc? If you want light, you can also go plastic.

What was your previous degree? Do you have astigmatism. If you tio "old flower eye" then lens even more expensive. Lens got different types, I've used:

Hoya - good

Crizial - terrible

Zeiss - fantastic

A decent pair with progressive will set you back about 450+. If you get the Carl Zeiss "digital" lens, it'll jump to 700 (last I remember).

Go look see look see what type of frame you like. Shops that I have used and find good:

Tampines 1 (L2 or L3 just in front of the escalator).

Millenia Walk

The Bencoolen (Bugis area)

YMMV.

• Praise 1

What is your budget?You want "stylo-milo" frame, normal looking frame etc? If you want light, you can also go plastic.

What was your previous degree? Do you have astigmatism. If you tio "old flower eye" then lens even more expensive. Lens got different types, I've used:

Hoya - good

Crizial - terrible

Zeiss - fantastic

A decent pair with progressive will set you back about 450+. If you get the Carl Zeiss "digital" lens, it'll jump to 700 (last I remember).

Go look see look see what type of frame you like. Shops that I have used and find good:

Tampines 1 (L2 or L3 just in front of the escalator).

Millenia Walk

The Bencoolen (Bugis area)

YMMV.

Wa lao…. si bey expensive...

i didn't study much, so graduated without glasses, but retribution lor, cos had to read a lot when started working, so did my first pair glasses mid-20s. Lasted me ~6 yr, with only 100 deg and only one side. When i did 2nd pair (for wedding) on titanium, strangely deg didn't change much. Stuck with that pair for ~10 yr, and did a 3rd abt 4-5 ago, this time with astig on i think the side that was zero-deg.

The first 2 pairs were prob around $100-150 while the 3rd was just less than $200.

Now while 'old flower eye' kicked in, smart phones and tablets in the last few years have made my eye sight worse.

Was thinking whether can get another decent pair at $200, or maybe up it to $300, but now sounds like it's not gonna be so cheap??

When you said the lens have different types, and the terrible vs fantastic, is based on what comparison criteria huh? Pray tell...

when i first did my progressive, the shop recommend me Ray-Ban titanium, cost me more than $600 and it didn't last 2 years <_<<_<

but i still won't go for lasik [sweatdrop]

On lasik, i once asked a friend whose deg quite high, why wouldn't he consider it. Then he said as far as he knows, no eye doctor has ever gone for lasik, so there must be a reason why… dun know where he got the info from...

For frames, I only go for Seiko or Nikon titanium. But, it's a challenge to find now. Bang for bucks; suit Asian face perfectly w/o sliding down. Great nose pad.

For lenses, I still stick to old skool glass. Cheap and good, sharp vision; scratch resistance to the max.

Trying to avoid progressive lenses as far as possible. Very expensive and no glass option. Hahaha....

Thanks, you mean progressive is only plastic?

Anyway, between plastic and glass lens, what are the pros and cons?

On the frame, I have impression that plastic breaks easier so would prefer something more lasting (like one titanium pair lasted me 10 yr…)

Wa lao…. si bey expensive...

i didn't study much, so graduated without glasses, but retribution lor, cos had to read a lot when started working, so did my first pair glasses mid-20s. Lasted me ~6 yr, with only 100 deg and only one side. When i did 2nd pair (for wedding) on titanium, strangely deg didn't change much. Stuck with that pair for ~10 yr, and did a 3rd abt 4-5 ago, this time with astig on i think the side that was zero-deg.

The first 2 pairs were prob around $100-150 while the 3rd was just less than $200.

Now while 'old flower eye' kicked in, smart phones and tablets in the last few years have made my eye sight worse.

Was thinking whether can get another decent pair at $200, or maybe up it to $300, but now sounds like it's not gonna be so cheap??

When you said the lens have different types, and the terrible vs fantastic, is based on what comparison criteria huh? Pray tell...

On lasik, i once asked a friend whose deg quite high, why wouldn't he consider it. Then he said as far as he knows, no eye doctor has ever gone for lasik, so there must be a reason why… dun know where he got the info from...

Thanks, you mean progressive is only plastic?

Anyway, between plastic and glass lens, what are the pros and cons?

On the frame, I have impression that plastic breaks easier so would prefer something more lasting (like one titanium pair lasted me 10 yr…)

It's the lens that will cost you. If your old flower eye issue is low, then lens will be cheaper. IMO, if you want to cut cost somewhere, save on the frame but don't save on the lens especially if you use it throughout the day. I stare at a PC screen playing sudoku 10 hours a day. [:p]

Hoya - Cheap and good. My degree and astigmatism increased slightly every two years. Lens is relatively clear but smudge and fog easily. I abit OCD on lens clarity so abit smudge sure wipe my lens. [laugh]

Crizial - More expensive than Hoya. Great for non-smudge, slightly clearer than Hoya. Eyes get a bit dry though. Also something about the lens made my degree and astigmatism jump by 100! :angry:

Zeiss - More expensive than Crizial. Degree and astigmatism barely moves. One of the clearest lens I've used. Doesn't smudge easily. [cool]

Second the seiko frames. Those are fantastic. Light as heck as well [thumbsup]

Edited by Mason016

on a serious note, after my cataract op. Eyesight is 6/6 perfect! Reading glasses dun really need now too as eyes have calibrated distance accordingly

wah bro. now can bio [gorgeous][gorgeous] in perfect eyesight!!!

• Praise 1

useful for u as lim chu kang area muz be beri dark at 4am...... [:p]

• Praise 2

oh so after the calibration did u rub ur eyes when tings u thought is nice turns out BAD....................... hahaha lol :D[laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2