Recommendation for Spectacles

Atrecord

oh so after the calibration did u rub ur eyes when tings u thought is nice turns out BAD....................... hahaha lol :D[laugh]

hahha...yah man.....eyes OPEN BIG BIG [shocked][shocked]

↡ Advertisement

I bought the spec frame from Taobao. S$20 per frame.

Bought Crizal lens at S$90.

About 250degree multi-coated.

Total S$110 compare to shop selling easily S$200-S$300

Hi all,

I'm sure a lot of bros and sis out there wear glasses, so am asking for recommendations as I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.

Need to make another pair of glasses but there seems to be so many different shops around so don't quite know where to go.

Am looking for light and durable glasses, and reliable optician. I was told titanium was lightest previously. Is it still the case now?

Last did a pair 4 years ago, and since then have been using smart phones so now eyes getting blurrer… so better get another pair.

Anyone tried those progressive lens? Got 'far-sighted' at this age too, so heard some said progressive can cater to both - but apparently can make the eyes confused and blurred is it?

And i saw somewhere before got some design that allows a pair of sunglasses to wrap nicely onto a pair of prescription glasses. It's not just those generic types sold at petrol stations but is fitting nicely and comes in a set one. But it's not common as I think I've only seen it once. Anyone tried this before? Figured it would be good when driving.

tks...

owndays <200 frame + lens... best value big design range too

hahha...yah man.....eyes OPEN BIG BIG [shocked][shocked]

hahaha lol.................. its like a new beginning feelg once u open ur eyes ya :D[thumbsup]

I hv nvr done it b4 but many yrs back when my buddy went for his lasik (18 yrs ago), its like OMG so nice :D

• Praise 1

Ordered a few pairs from http://www.zennioptical.com/.

Cheap and good!

Hi all,

I'm sure a lot of bros and sis out there wear glasses, so am asking for recommendations as I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.

Need to make another pair of glasses but there seems to be so many different shops around so don't quite know where to go.

Am looking for light and durable glasses, and reliable optician. I was told titanium was lightest previously. Is it still the case now?

Last did a pair 4 years ago, and since then have been using smart phones so now eyes getting blurrer… so better get another pair.

Anyone tried those progressive lens? Got 'far-sighted' at this age too, so heard some said progressive can cater to both - but apparently can make the eyes confused and blurred is it?

And i saw somewhere before got some design that allows a pair of sunglasses to wrap nicely onto a pair of prescription glasses. It's not just those generic types sold at petrol stations but is fitting nicely and comes in a set one. But it's not common as I think I've only seen it once. Anyone tried this before? Figured it would be good when driving.

tks...

• Praise 1

I bought the spec frame from Taobao. S$20 per frame.

Bought Crizal lens at S$90.

About 250degree multi-coated.

Total S$110 compare to shop selling easily S$200-S$300

yea i went this option as well. lol

but frame not so fitting, abit too tight.

TS, how about getting a bigger screen phone ? Helps to see better with your flowery eyes.

Thanks, but already changed to Note 4 (used Note 3 for one year)...

any bigger, will be using tablet to make calls liao :D

You can try this brand "Silhouette". I am using the "Tma the must collection 7611".

http://www.silhouette.com/us/en/eyewear/tma-must-collection/7611/6050/mb2#

I wear it almost daily. It has one of the lightest frame amongst all the brands and fits very snugly even for small Asian features. Its pricey, but I think its a worthwhile investment for something you wear for daily use and comfort.

Good Luck!

Nina

Err I've been wearing specs for 30 years. Since i was 4.

I can say this.

Lens - ONLY can consider HOYA or ZEISS

- My strong preference is for Zeiss. My 2 normal specs are on it. HOYA is like toyota. Anything below it don't bother. These multicoats either get color tinge after 1-2 years or scratch like siao. I've changed so many of these crappy lenses. Really waste of money.

- Zeiss is like a bloody maserati or Ferrari. Super sharp. Super scratch resistant. No regrets paying the considerable extra.

Frames

- best try yourself

- some titanium frames are very solid. Some are not so... Usually it's the paint work that drops. My Rayban was a MIJ. I'm still using it as my home specs after 9 years.

I don't believe in ordering yourself online. Some of the measurements that the optometrist do are important. I've seen how they affect my wife and myself. The long term comfort is a world of difference.

But good doesn't = cheap. I've tried cheap before and most of the queensway shops are absolute rubbish. The optometrist and shop assistants standard are crap.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

I can say this.

- My strong preference is for Zeiss. My 2 normal specs are on it. HOYA is like toyota. Anything below it don't bother. These multicoats either get color tinge after 1-2 years or scratch like siao. I've changed so many of these crappy lenses. Really waste of money.

- Zeiss is like a bloody maserati or Ferrari. Super sharp. Super scratch resistant. No regrets paying the considerable extra.

Frames

- best try yourself

- some titanium frames are very solid. Some are not so... Usually it's the paint work that drops. My Rayban was a MIJ. I'm still using it as my home specs after 9 years.

I don't believe in ordering yourself online. Some of the measurements that the optometrist do are important. I've seen how they affect my wife and myself. The long term comfort is a world of difference.

But good doesn't = cheap. I've tried cheap before and most of the queensway shops are absolute rubbish. The optometrist and shop assistants standard are crap.

i have been going to this shop in Queensway for more than 30 years, i even get to loan a few branded spec from them for my wedding photoshoot :D

now my whole family including my kids spectacles are made there, some models are really cheap and lasting.

I can say this.

Never heard Zeiss described quite like that, but you're absolutely right. [thumbsup]

TS if you do get a Zeiss, make sure the laser mark is on the lens and they give you your zeiss card (which will have your degree specifications etc). I've heard of some dubious shops that substitute the lens. [shakehead]

I have to agree with everything he says here. A good pair of daily specs doesn't come cheap and you should visit a qualified optometrist to make one.

Nina

I can say this.

Frames

- best try yourself

i have been going to this shop in Queensway for more than 30 years, i even get to loan a few branded spec from them for my wedding photoshoot :D

now my whole family including my kids spectacles are made there, some models are really cheap and lasting.

My wife glasses and my sun glasses are from one of these shops. Forgot the name. But mostly sell sunglasses one. That one is good. Forgotten the name.

The other one with a big shopfront is crap. Has a branch in Yishun one.

I envy those people who can wear frames off the rack. I don't fit most Asian frames. So it's not easy to find frames I like. Hence I wear my glasses for a long time. Though I used to change lenses every 2 or 3 years until I discovered zeiss.

I can say this.

Frames

- best try yourself

Can PM me the optometrist you go to?

↡ Advertisement