Recommendation for Spectacles

Atrecord

My wife glasses and my sun glasses are from one of these shops. Forgot the name. But mostly sell sunglasses one. That one is good. Forgotten the name.

The other one with a big shopfront is crap. Has a branch in Yishun one.

I envy those people who can wear frames off the rack. I don't fit most Asian frames. So it's not easy to find frames I like. Hence I wear my glasses for a long time. Though I used to change lenses every 2 or 3 years until I discovered zeiss.

frame are cheap regardless if they are branded or not, my FIL used to deliver them from warehouse to all these shops [sweatdrop]

we usually change spec every 12-18 months when we got tire of seeing each other of the same spec [laugh][laugh] hence won't go for the branded ones, not now for me and wife cos of our progressive lens which is not that cheap.

↡ Advertisement

there's a shop in bras basah, quite popular. everytime i walk pass esp during lunch hr sure got a lot of ppl. quite a lot of variety as well. when doing ur specs, they will really check ur degree n make sure everything swee2.

did my current pair there. aft getting the specs, my eyes couldnt get used to the new lens as my astig had increased n was having headache wearing it. went back there n feedback that something may b wrong with the lens. they explained to me n said that if after 1 wk still hv headaches, they will change a new lens with my old degree. gd service!

I agree that if you have the budget, go for Zeiss lens. It's like wearing a Bugatti for your eyes.

Personally, I am using AO lens 1.67 thickness, so it set me back about $100 - $120/lens. I think it's pretty good as it is easily cleaned and macam got Nano Hydrophobic coating, very easy to swing the water off and easy to clean.

Frames wise, depends on your preference. If prolonged wearer, go for the comfortable Asian fit, as most of us (I believe), do not have raised nose bridges that can take the 'standard' European fit that most brands (Ray Bands come to mind) have.

For sunglasses, I have fit my Ray Ban Clubmaster with tinted lenses with degree, that set me back about $100 as the Clubmaster is an old frame.

For shops wise, I cannot really tell you the places I go to will be the best, but I feel the most comfortable with them.

There's Eye Bar at Star Vista and Pearl's Optics at Jurong Point. Actually, if possible, most neighbourhood opticians are quite good and very cheap also.

So finally, after almost 43 years, i is need to wear ZE glasses. <_<

I made one recently, late last year, reading glasses, gave me a headache after a few times wearing it to read. [dizzy]

now i think i need one of those progressive ones...see a bit far..blur like sotong liao!

The shop i made the reading glasses now closed..at Sun Plaza..all under renovations, dunno if the shop returning or not..jialat! :wacko:

I was told we can still use the same frame to make new lens right?

There goes my bonus! [dead]

Try Kwong Shin at Bras Basah Complex. I made all my spectacles there. Competitve pricing and good service.

I always look for Adeline.

• Praise 1

So finally, after almost 43 years, i is need to wear ZE glasses. <_<

I made one recently, late last year, reading glasses, gave me a headache after a few times wearing it to read. [dizzy]

now i think i need one of those progressive ones...see a bit far..blur like sotong liao!

The shop i made the reading glasses now closed..at Sun Plaza..all under renovations, dunno if the shop returning or not..jialat! :wacko:

I was told we can still use the same frame to make new lens right?

There goes my bonus! [dead]

err... progressive lens around $100-$300 for cheaper ones, no need to cost you all your bonus lah [laugh][laugh]

Thanks, you mean progressive is only plastic?

Anyway, between plastic and glass lens, what are the pros and cons?

On the frame, I have impression that plastic breaks easier so would prefer something more lasting (like one titanium pair lasted me 10 yr…)

If not wrong, progressive only plastic 'cos no shops carry glass when I asked. Think it's either too troublesome to manufacture or 'no market' as what many shops want us to believe.

After switching to glass, I can never go back to plastic. The world of difference in terms of sharpness and clarity is unmatched by any mumbo jumbo those lens makers want you to believe. There's simply no replacement!

Also, I am those rough type, use tissue, clothings to wipe my lenses. Imagine 8 year-old glass still perfect. This can never happen to plastic. Plastics no matter how you tender loving care, the lens will turn 'cloudy' after one year.

It's also a misconception that glass is heavier. In fact, high index plastic lenses can be close to the weight of normal glass. Shops also like to tell you glass break easily right? The trick is to use small frame so that weight is reduced and any impact will not break glass easily unless you are those type that like to maximise the lens surface area. [laugh] Simple physics, yet many don't believe.

• Praise 2

If not wrong, progressive only plastic 'cos no shops carry glass when I asked. Think it's either too troublesome to manufacture or 'no market' as what many shops want us to believe.

After switching to glass, I can never go back to plastic. The world of difference in terms of sharpness and clarity is unmatched by any mumbo jumbo those lens makers want you to believe. There's simply no replacement!

Also, I am those rough type, use tissue, clothings to wipe my lenses. Imagine 8 year-old glass still perfect. This can never happen to plastic. Plastics no matter how you tender loving care, the lens will turn 'cloudy' after one year.

It's also a misconception that glass is heavier. In fact, high index plastic lenses can be close to the weight of normal glass. Shops also like to tell you glass break easily right? The trick is to use small frame so that weight is reduced and any impact will not break glass easily unless you are those type that like to maximise the lens surface area. [laugh] Simple physics, yet many don't believe.

plastic lend has improved a lot lah since you haven't wear one for 8 years. it wont scratch/cloudy that easily and i have mine for 3 years and i also wear it to play badminton every week, it flew out a few time but still no scratches.

I have been wearing my Charmant Titanium glasses for close to 20yrs liao. Using it in the office as my daily glasses. Same type as the lady in the ad.

charmant%20small.jpg

• Praise 1

i buy Daiso $2 nia :D:D

on a serious note, after my cataract op. Eyesight is 6/6 perfect! Reading glasses dun really need now too as eyes have calibrated distance accordingly

Uncle... when the doctor cut your eye... and put in a lens, might as well also correct your focus point.

[laugh]

I have been wearing my Charmant Titanium glasses for close to 20yrs liao. Using it in the office as my daily glasses. Same type as the lady in the ad.

charmant%20small.jpg

Yes! I am back to Charmant too. After suffering with other branded frame.

• Praise 1

Uncle... when the doctor cut your eye... and put in a lens, might as well also correct your focus point.

[laugh]

Grandpa...cataract surgery they normally give long sighted lens as opposed to multi focal

I subsidised patient cannot choose

That said I hear ppl w multi focal cataract implants cannot get used to it

plastic lend has improved a lot lah since you haven't wear one for 8 years. it wont scratch/cloudy that easily and i have mine for 3 years and i also wear it to play badminton every week, it flew out a few time but still no scratches.

.. you must be playing like Datuk Lee.... so garang....

Grandpa...cataract surgery they normally give long sighted lens as opposed to multi focal

I subsidised patient cannot choose

That said I hear ppl w multi focal cataract implants cannot get used to it

.hehehehe.... I am still YOUNG.

Only have long sighted.

NO short sighted...........yet. [laugh]

I use this when I need to....

post-58053-0-93104900-1423561042_thumb.jpg

.hehehehe.... I am still YOUNG.

Only have long sighted.

NO short sighted...........yet. [laugh]

I use this when I need to....

Lol...

Wah thanks for all the useful info, which i'm trying to digest. For a start, i don't even know the people at the spec shops helping to assess the problem of the eyes - are they opticians or optometricians or??

While i've been wearing specs for ~20 yr now, i actually don't wear it when at home, or working on the desk (like now). I wear it only when I'm walking around (except at home), or driving, or let's say, am outside. This is because only one eye had 100 deg previously, and i could still see decently well for near distance without glasses.

Is this healthy, or should I wear glasses all the time, esp now that I'm sure it's worse than 100 deg, and the other eye is also no longer that good?

Haven't read the thread so apologies if this has been posted:

Vision Optik

LG 47 Holiday Plaza

JB

also at Sutera Mall, IOI Mall and Setia Indah

Mr Chai Kok Kien the Optometrist is really good.

Call: 6016771 7012

Fabulous service at a price you can't beat anywhere.

Great selection of frames.

Nice chap to chat to about glasses as he doesn't rush.

Give him a phone call first to make sure he's at the mall you intend going on the day you go.

Recommended 100%

I started going to him 10 years plus ago.

Last year because my long sight had improved because of age he told me I didn't need distance glasses anymore.

I wonder if a Singaporean spectacle shop would have told me that so I didn't spend any more money with them.

Edited by Neutrino