Elderly woman refuse to move out.

Knoobie

source: http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/this-urban-jungle/last-person-staying-in-entire-hdb-block-but-elderly-woman-still-refuses-to-move

Last person staying in entire HDB block but elderly woman refuses to move out

Posted on 09 February 2015 | 51,539 views | 24 comments
sas.jpg

Catherine Roberts
The New Paper
6 February 2015

The 669 families living in Blocks 74 to 80 at Commonwealth Drive were notified in August 2008 that they had to eventually move to new homes nearby.

The seven blocks had been identified for redevelopment under the Selective En bloc Redevelopment Scheme (Sers).

Under the scheme, which was introduced 20 years ago to rejuvenate older estates, the displaced residents would be offered new flats near their former homes at subsidised prices.

Five years after the initial notice, all but one resident had moved out.

The last one standing, Madam Foong Chea Tai, 67, who owns a three-room flat on the third storey at Block 79, said: "I'm not being weird, I just want to stay here."

She told Shin Min Daily News: "I don't want to move out. Now it's hard to buy a new flat. The lease is not up yet, I can still continue living here."

Most of the former residents in Madam Foong's estate are now living across the road in Blocks 50 to 53 after moving out about 16 months ago.

The units in the four 40-storey blocks, which were ready in July 2013, were offered to them by HDB as options to replace their old homes under the scheme.

After their departure, Madam Foong was the only person left living in the deserted estate.

The lifts in her block stopped operating. However, water and electricity was still supplied to her home.

The staircases in the other six blocks were gated up and locked to prevent access into the buildings.

The New Paper understands that Madam Foong's sons would visit her occasionally during her solitary stay there.

On Wednesday, Shin Min Daily News reported that 10 HDB officers, accompanied by police officers, went to Madam Foong's unit at 7.30am that morning.

The report said the policemen had protective shields as they stood guard on the third storey. It did not say why the police needed protective shields.

TNP understands that the visit was yet another attempt to convince Madam Foong to leave, but she refused.

When TNP went to her block on Wednesday afternoon, the three staircases leading to the units were gated and locked.

Responding to TNP's queries, an HDB spokesman said in an e-mail reply on Wednesday evening that Madam Foong had vacated the flat that afternoon.

It did not provide details on Madam Foong's departure but said it would provide her with temporary accommodation and help her with her housing options, including the purchase of a new replacement flat.

"At the request of Madam Foong's next-of-kin, HDB has got ready the keys of suitable replacement flats," the spokesman added.

"If she is willing to take up a replacement flat and sign the documents for the purchase, we will arrange for the keys to be issued to her immediately."

COMPENSATION

Under Sers, residents will receive market compensation for their HDB flats based on a professional valuation.

The spokesman said the compensation for Madam Foong's flat was based on its prevailing market value as at Aug 8, 2008, when Sers was announced for the area.

"With the Sers compensation and price discount, Madam Foong is eligible to purchase an equivalent new three-room replacement flat without any cash outlay. She will also have cash proceeds after the purchase."

She said HDB had made numerous attempts to contact Madam Foong since 2008 but she did not respond to the letters and notices sent to her, or open the door during HDB's repeated house visits.

"HDB has tried its best to reach out to Madam Foong and to explore various ways to help her move into a new replacement flat.

"These included seeking her family's assistance and working with local grassroots leaders and social workers from the Family Service Centre," she added.

But her family could not persuade her to take up a new flat.

Then, last November, Madam Foong indicated her interest in taking up a replacement flat by signing the application form but she subsequently rejected the flat when the keys were ready for collection.

"This was despite her family members having viewed the flat and assuring her that they liked it. Madam Foong has insisted on living in the Sers flat, and reiterated that she will not consider a new flat," she said.

The spokesman added that as the only resident left in the block, Madam Foong needed to vacate the flat "for her safety, security and well-being".

Several other former residents of Blocks 74 to 80 at Commonwealth Drive approached by The New Paper also preferred their new homes, citing the views and spaciousness.

UPGRADE

Mr Pang said his family used to live in a three-room flat in the old estate, but decided to fork out about $200,000 to upgrade to a five-room flat because his wife loved the unit the moment she saw it.

The couple, who live with the wife's mother, said they enjoy the unobstructed view from the balcony of their living room on the 23rd storey.

Mr Pang said in Mandarin: "It's perpetually windy here and it's nice. I live on such a high floor now and the view is quite attractive."

Another resident on the 13th storey of Mr Pang's block said his new home is much more spacious than his old flat at Block 77.

The man in his early 20s who declined to be named said: "The layout here is more suitable for my family. We enjoy the peace and quiet of this new estate, especially at night.

"At least I know my mother, who is always busy with chores and the kids, can get a good night's rest as long as we live here."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

old people still prefer the old neighborhood, i grew up in that area, i still go back occasionally on weekend to have breakfast there.

old people still prefer the old neighborhood, i grew up in that area, i still go back occasionally on weekend to have breakfast there.

I live nearby but never been there to makan.

What's good around there?

Difficult for someone who has lived their whole life in a location to move out, especially when they're in their twilight years.

My grandma in Malaysia also, she is nearing 100yo liao. We recently build a new house for the increasingly large family. My father has 11 brothers and sisters, so during gatherings like CNY and Qing Ming, there is hardly enough space in the kampung house for everyone to sleep.

Initially she (my grandma) is keen to move, she even has many inputs in the design of the new house like where the ancestral tablets are to be placed etc etc. But once the house is ready and everyone is ready to move, she changed her mind at the last minute.

• Praise 4

Police with protective shields eh? Well, I guess they must have mistaken her for an angry mob of rioters. Easy mistake to make, that - after all, it's well known that frail old ladies strongly resemble an angry riotous mob. Caught me out many times, too. :D

• Praise 5

Hope her children can convince her to move out....

Its pretty dangerous to stay alone, esp if ganna robbery and even fall down and couldn't get any neighbours to help...

Hopefully all will end well :))

• Praise 2

ask her move is like so heartless..

but don't let her move is also not the way out..

but sending police with riot shield seems to be a very very weird approach for this matter..

is it the ah ma that is stubborn to give up? or is the society stubborn about sentimental values..

Edited by Knoobie
  • Praise 1

Later AWARE knows about it how?

Then send AWARE to make the ah ma aware that the HDB wanna take back the house....let her aware that not safe to stay alone and make sure she is aware she will be allocate a new home.... and she is aware that the AWARE is there to help her be aware.....

Edited by Nlatio
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2