So you really think you are BIG...

Angcheek

Are you sure it's created by God? Whichever god you are referring to?

No religious bashing here, just asking about your thoughts.

I am constantly amazed at the wonder of God's creation.

• Praise 6

Too obvious and we wont have you here haha

Marketing gimmick haha

I thought this thread referring to that...

By the way, our earth will be engulfed by the sun in 5b years ... so nomatter how u see it ... solar planets will be done for

• Praise 4

Are you sure it's created by God? Whichever god you are referring to?

No religious bashing here, just asking about your thoughts.

The Christian God. Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth.

Well, I think I shouldn't be preaching here, in this secular forum. So I shall leave it as such.

• Praise 1

Too obvious and we wont have you here haha

Marketing gimmick haha

By the way, our earth will be engulfed by the sun in 5b years ... so nomatter how u see it ... solar planets will be done for

Humans will be gone soon with the constant pollution. No need to worry [sweatdrop]

• Praise 2

From creation of earth, we are just at halftime mark abt 4.3b yr old and already we are killing ourselves.

Knowing how "big" human is makes Politic really stupid .

Humans will be gone soon with the constant pollution. No need to worry [sweatdrop]

• Praise 3

From creation of earth, we are just at halftime mark abt 4.3b yr old and already we are killing ourselves.

Knowing how "big" human is makes Politic really stupid .

I would recommend an incredible documentary made last year, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. It depicts the beginning of time and evolution. Scored an incredible 9.4 rating at IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395695/

Can download and watch. Worth spending every minute of your time [;)]

• Praise 6

If 1 God Day is like 1000 Earth years go figure the distance ..

Time gets slower n slower further into outer space than on earth due to gravity.

Edited by Tigerwoods

At 11.17, Hercules-Corona Botralis Great Wall, the largest structure known to man.

This is not so true, I know of something bigger.

Road hoggers' ego is definitely bigger than this.

hahahah if hogger is 10B ly's away , thats not a bad thing

• Praise 4

I go hunt for it . Thanks

I would recommend an incredible documentary made last year, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. It depicts the beginning of time and evolution. Scored an incredible 9.4 rating at IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395695/

Can download and watch. Worth spending every minute of your time [;)]

• Praise 5

Numerous errors abound in the one video I watched. Minor niggles like "caesium" spelt wrongly, for instance. But also many major factual and conceptual errors.

These mostly pertain to the "small" end of the scale - or it may just be that I feel I am not qualified to comment on the large end of the scale because I'm not big on cosmology. Regardless...

The Calabi-Yau (again misspelt "Cubi Yau" [sic]) manifold is a theoretical construct from algebraic geometry. To speak of its size is nonsensical. However, superstring theory posits that the Universe actually has more spatial dimensions than the three we perceive. It's just that the "extra" dimensions are wrapped up so compactly that we can't "see" them. Some people have hypothesised that the very very tiny "extra" dimensions take the form of a Calabi-Yau manifold, which is where that concept comes in.

Next, to speak of the size of subatomic particles is highly misleading. The scattering cross-section, a highly technical definition, is usually used as a proxy for "size" at this scale. However, there is no real correlate to what we perceive as size on the macroscopic scale we're used to. The standard model actually treats particles as point-like, meaning zero size.

Finally, there's mention of the "nanobe" as the smallest form of life. However, there's no broad scientific support for this and most scientists consider these structures to be non-living crystalline minerals.

Those are the obvious errors I picked up on, I'm sure there are others. But I guess the main "point" of a video like this is to evoke a sense of wonder, and this does that just fine, so I guess on that score, it is a success.

BTW, I don't want to derail this thread into a religious discussion, but I feel it's necessary to put this last bit in because someone else has already brought up the "G" word. It is completely possible for an atheist to feel an immense sense of wonder at the scale of the Universe. In fact, I (as an atheist) feel even more wonder at the grand majesty of this immense, impersonal and indifferent cosmos than I would if I believed in a (anthropomorphic or otherwise) Creator. I can sort-of reconcile myself with the deists who believe in a dispassionate prime mover and orchestrator (even if I don't believe in such myself), but simply cannot get on board with the whole theism thing with a personal god or gods. As far as I'm concerned, any entity petty enough to be concerned with my doings and my fate is too petty for me to bother worshipping. To put it more pithily: I cannot bring myself to care about a deity that might care for me.

That mindset probably has a lot to do with why I like cats more than dogs, but I digress. :D

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 8