So you really think you are BIG...

Angcheek

Well, I would assume that most if not all civilisation will evolve at more or less the same rate as us. So, maybe they are also at the stage where trying to find us through staring into high powered telescopes.

That of course pre-supposes that we all have the same starting point ---

Which given that we already know there are many different ages for the stars surrounding us may not be a very good assumption.

It might be entirely possible that other solar systems / planets that have the right conditions to sustain some form of life similar to what we have, are already "dead" (the suns have died) or may be "too young" to have evolved to our stage...

(P.S - I believe that an "earth like" planet similar to our own "third rock" has now been found...)

↡ Advertisement

The chance of other aliens exist out there is the Universe is very close to 100%, using the Drake equation. But looking at today's technology and the limit of science and natural physics, it seems that we humans have reached the upper limit of space travel technology that can bring us as far and as fast as we like to. Unless there is a break through in technology like light speed travel, worm hole space warp, or teleportation etc, it seems highly unlike that we can contact the nearest alien species in the neighbourhood galaxies.

Edited by Ingenius

If you watch sci-fi tv shows like firefly, battlestar galatica, star trek, you can see there are many other eath like planets in the galaxies, and other alien species. Most of them come in peace, but some wants to conquer the universe. Humans and alien species also fall in love and produce offsprings, named Humiens. lol . Some of them have telepathy, some are shape changer to adapt to their unique environment, some have long legs as their gravity is low. Of cos, wars occur between planets over territorial disputes, faith, politics ...

Edited by Ingenius

If you watch sci-fi tv shows like firefly, battlestar galatica, star trek, you can see there are many other eath like planets in the galaxies, and other alien species. Most of them come in peace, but some wants to conquer the universe. Humans and alien species also fall in love and produce offsprings, named Humiens. lol . Some of them have telepathy, some are shape changer to adapt to their unique environment, some have long legs as their gravity is low. Of cos, wars occur between planets over territorial disputes, faith, politics ...

No need to go so far, far, far, far, far, ................ far, far, far, far, far away................. always wanted to contact one species called "Ah Lian" of my next block (100 meters away)....... ^_^

:D:D

No need to go so far, far, far, far, far, ................ far, far, far, far, far away................. always wanted to contact one species called "Ah Lian" of my next block (100 meters away)....... ^_^

:D:D

Ah Pek, no, uncle Picnic, if her eyes electric you, beware if the ah lian next block is actually a alien species who is here to mate with able-bodied men to produce offspring, in the grand scheme of conquering earth. I suggest you better go kopi tiam sian the beer lady safer. [laugh]

Edited by Ingenius

Ah Pek, no, uncle Picnic, if her eyes electric you, beware if the ah lian next block is actually a alien species who is here to mate with able-bodied men to produce offspring, in the grand scheme of conquering earth. I suggest you better go kopi tiam sian the beer lady safer. [laugh]

Like this .... :wub:

this Malaysian bright spark at a kopi tiam in Cawangan Bandar Perdana in the Malaysian capital.

post-21853-0-93740900-1424064944.jpg

post-21853-0-94651100-1424064984.jpg

post-21853-0-05262400-1424065023.jpg

Edited by Picnic06

Turbocharged
[Too cheem for me to understand so i delete [grin] . Me not learned enough.]

BTW, I don't want to derail this thread into a religious discussion, but I feel it's necessary to put this last bit in because someone else has already brought up the "G" word. It is completely possible for an atheist to feel an immense sense of wonder at the scale of the Universe. In fact, I (as an atheist) feel even more wonder at the grand majesty of this immense, impersonal and indifferent cosmos than I would if I believed in a (anthropomorphic or otherwise) Creator. I can sort-of reconcile myself with the deists who believe in a dispassionate prime mover and orchestrator (even if I don't believe in such myself), but simply cannot get on board with the whole theism thing with a personal god or gods. As far as I'm concerned, any entity petty enough to be concerned with my doings and my fate is too petty for me to bother worshipping. To put it more pithily: I cannot bring myself to care about a deity that might care for me.

That mindset probably has a lot to do with why I like cats more than dogs, but I digress. :D

But I understand your 2nd last para (or at least I think I did) though I do not subscribe to a "being" being the sole creator of everything we see, feel, hear.

But I like your last sentence best. [grin]

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

What is science now, is magic barely 100 years ago.

Our civilization is really still in it's infancy, there are still many things yet to be discovered by humankind.

And yet we're fighting and killing each other over minor things instead of working towards the greater good of humankind.

Don't worry. I believe humans will kill off each other in another 2 centuries or so, +/- a couple of decades. And Earth will then have a chance to take stock and recover again.

Luckily I'll be dead by then.

Well, I would assume that most if not all civilisation will evolve at more or less the same rate as us. So, maybe they are also at the stage where trying to find us through staring into high powered telescopes.

our real technological age is just at its infancy. we just learned to fly over 111 years ago. we have hit the limits of current know how.

I don't know when we will get the next break through into the next technological age.

But I understand your 2nd last para (or at least I think I did) though I do not subscribe to a "being" being the sole creator of everything we see, feel, hear.

But I like your last sentence best. [grin]

I like pussies too.. [grin]

why are they at the same rate as us? or was it our ego as a mankind (me also included) that no one could be better?

i really wonder how they know all these stuff when the telescope can only see so far..

• Praise 1

So HDB prices up or down?

hahaha , by then sure crash .

why are they at the same rate as us? or was it our ego as a mankind (me also included) that no one could be better?

i really wonder how they know all these stuff when the telescope can only see so far..

because the light from the star tells a lot more than what we can see as light

• Praise 3

Correction, Einstein's theory of relativity makes my assumption moot.

My assumption is, since the the begining of universe as we know it starts with the big bang, most civilisation will probably start at more or less the same time, plus minus a few hundred million years.

But i kinda forgot that time pass differently for and from different frame of reference. So my assumption is invalid.

• Praise 1

our real technological age is just at its infancy. we just learned to fly over 111 years ago. we have hit the limits of current know how.

I don't know when we will get the next break through into the next technological age.

Looking back at history, it is no coincidence that every major leap in technology comes during and after major conflicts.

Only a short 15 years span between the first powered flight by the Wright brothers to the dogfights of WW1.. And then there was a lul period in aircraft development until WW2, where mono plane, retractable landing gears and sheetmetal skin become common. Late in WW2 is also when the Germans started using primitive unguided missiles (in the form of V1 and V2 rockets) and jet engines.

Post WW2 and the cold war, the arms race usher in even more technological leaps in terms of aircraft design. It's barely 1 century between a short 36m flight to non-stop round the world flight. Not to mention less than 60 years to the first human space flight.

Clap clap clap...

Here's my question to you...

Is it possible to be both atheist and at the same time believe that there is a "force" acting that is greater than any one of us?

I cannot accept the theory / possibility of an omniscient "God" (of whatever name you want to use, be it Shiva, God, Allah, Yahweh) but I do wholeheartedly support the idea of "Karma" - that what we "get" out of life is in concordance with what we give. (but that "get" and "give" have variable meanings and definitions)

Karma does not depend on God's or anyone's decision . It all depend on Oneself as you know it. Totally in sync with equilibrium of forces theory.

I think no one will know whether there is God. If you look at the entire observable space , it looked like a web in a pool or maybe a giant just "Pui-ed" (spit) and formed the universe. That would made that giant the G. What interested me more is not what created Universe, but why created the universe.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3