Saudi cleric claims Sun rotates around the Earth

Nlatio

If the sun rotates around earth, how about the other 7 (Pluto is not) planets ?

They rotate around earth as well ?

Would it be very messy ?

_81085674_81085672.jpg

Now now.... let's not get too scientific. Will be very hard for the cleric to digest given his "superior" intellect. [laugh] [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Just for augment sake, still possible.

planets b4 earth become moons of sun. And those after earth will travel in "opposite" direction. Its about relative position. Hee

• Praise 3

Brain baked by the desert sun. Either that or too much alcohol. Either one makes your head spin so it appears as if things revolve around you [laugh]

I think it's the alcohol. Other countries and places in the world also get a lot of sun (Australia quite affected by the ozone depletion), but still have relatively not stupid people.

Must be the alcohol. That's why our government banned drinking in public after 10.30pm. That's to save our brain cells. =D

There seem to be some serious misconceptions about air travel vis a vis the Earth's rotation about its axis.

The reason the Earth's rotation has no direct effect on air travel is simple. When dealing with kinematics (the physics of motion), you have to consider the frame of reference.

If we take the frame of reference to be the surface of the earth (that's ground speed), then the rotational speed at the surface of the earth has already been "taken into account". Remember that the plane is taking off from the surface of the Earth. The plane basically starts out at rest relative to this, then accelerates to take off velocity then goes into the air. Basically, the ground speed is completely independent of the rotational speed of the Earth.

If on the other hand, we took the frame of reference to be either the centre of the Earth, then the Earth's surface (at the equator) is moving at something like 1670km/h relative to it. Okay, I had to look that up, but it isn't difficult to calculate, honest! [laugh] But, in any case, the plane is *also* moving at that speed. So in this frame of reference, the plane starts out not at rest, but at 1670km/h, then accelerates in whatever direction to give a final resultant velocity. The ground speed can then be computed by the difference in those velocities. But this is all unnecessarily complex since the ground speed frame is just so much simpler. However, I had to bring it up because of this common misconception.

Easy to understand common-experience analogies include throwing a ball from a moving car (the ball initially travels horizontally at speed of throw plus speed of car relative to a pedestrian, but only speed of throw relative to an occupant in the car - at least until drag slows it down). Also, sticking with the plane situation, if one reasoned the same shoddy way without considering the frame of reference, we should have great difficulties using the in-flight restrooms. In one direction, the restroom should be receding from us at 600km/h, but in the other, we should be smacking fatally into it. Absurd, right?

Gravity is largely irrelevant here. The gravitational pull on an aircraft in flight is not significantly different from an aircraft on a runway - the altitudes involved are simply not significant enough. The main effect of gravity is to cause the variation in density of the atmosphere that influences lift and drag.

The atmosphere plays a role in lift and drag. While these are important forces, it is misleading to speak of a hovering insect in a car as being a meaningful analogy for a plane. The insect has very low mass. The air in the car (which is pushed along with the car relative to the road) provides enough drag to arrest the initial backward slide (relative to the floor of the moving car) of the insect until the insect is again stationary relative to the car. More massive objects won't be similarly affected. If you had a RC minicopter hovering in a stopped car (piloted by a passenger), it would most likely crash into the rear window once the driver stepped on it (if no adjustments were made to the controls). Needless to say, this effect is even less relevant in the case of a whopping big plane.

Note that I had emphasised "direct" in italics in my second paragraph. The rotation of the Earth causes plenty of indirect effects, mainly by affecting the atmosphere. The Earth's rotation gives rise to Coriolis forces that affect air currents and drastically affect air travel. This is an important, but indirect effect.

None of this is going to be convincing to the cleric, of course. Fundamentalists are typically doggedly convinced of the infallibility of their dogma. It's the "invincible ignorance" thing all over again, to repeat myself from an earlier thread.

You wait for CNY to give lecture. [thumbsup] Didn't realise it was you since you changed avatar, can't up you, next time ba, Professor TF.

You wait for CNY to give lecture. [thumbsup] Didn't realise it was you since you changed avatar, can't up you, next time ba, Professor TF.

Haha, change car so change avatar to commemorate mah. :D

May go later back to my beloved Serious Cat after a couple of weeks. See first.

Oh yes, xin nian kuai le.

That remind me of @happily1986

I miss that guy. And @Requiemdk. Both highly intelligent posters who can be very erudite and technically detailed and eloquent, and almost never set out to offend people.

Edited by Turboflat4

Now now.... let's not get too scientific. Will be very hard for the cleric to digest given his "superior" intellect. [laugh] [laugh]

I'm sorry.

The correct word is revolve, not rotate.

The sun revolve around earth. [laugh]

That remind me of @happily1986

Wall of text???

I always enjoy Wall of text Vs theory of constipation, although I never really understand, but it was always entertaining...LOL

When are we going to see another @happily1986 Vs @jamesc dicussion...LOL

• Praise 2

Wall of text???

I always enjoy Wall of text Vs theory of constipation, although I never really understand, but it was always entertaining...LOL

When are we going to see another @happily1986 Vs @jamesc dicussion...LOL

Jamesc only interested in in-depth discussions with lesbians.

:D

• Praise 2

Jamesc only interested in in-depth discussions with lesbians.

I'm also interested in in-depth intercourse with lesbians. I am not fussy about the lesbian part either, so long as they're female and hot. :D

• Praise 1

It's not just gravitational pull, the atmosphere is also responsible in keeping things in motion when the earth moves.

This use a simple example:

If there is an insect flying inside the car, when you speed off your car will the fly suddenly hit the windscreen?

The gravitational pull also affect the satellites, which are in fact staying at the exact same spot while travelling the speed as Earth rotation.

In actual fact, from an observer out in space, the aircraft the cleric is travelling in seems to be faster than Earth.

Relativity theory

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 1

Religion is all about beliefs.

Some people believe that

the world was made in 7 days.

Should we laugh at them as well?

You are right.

Religious people & faith will be able to explain what happened when one is travelling at the speed of light (Relativity theory) and beyond.

Time stopped and reached heaven.

• Praise 1

They rotate around earth as well ?

Would it be very messy ?

_81085674_81085672.jpg

the word planet in Greek I think means wonderers in the sky? have to look up google..

anyway before Copernicus, they to cane of the retrograde movement in the planets in astronomy. that's why with the earth centric view, the planets seem to wonder the sky. moving forwards and then for some months start to move in reverse..

just that they can predict the movements but they cannot explain it until the sun centric model was adopted.

too lazy to look up.. LITERALLY.. LOL

• Praise 1

Haha, change car so change avatar to commemorate mah. :D

May go later back to my beloved Serious Cat after a couple of weeks. See first.

Oh yes, xin nian kuai le.

Congrats and xie xie...

Happy CNY to everyone, whether celebrating or not..