520i tune to 528i performance

Siewss

alamak ... detach8 technicality lai liao ... catch no ball ... lol [thumbsup]

make it simple la ...

if $17k is no issue ... 528i ... if not 520i

definitely worth it ... if $1K potato chip can give you $17k value ... PML could have stopped selling 528i liao

and it's the biggest joke on BMW R&D engineer ... sure kena fired long time already

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

1)Those looking for better performance but want to save 17k will buy the 520 and chip it up.

2)Badge whores who want to save 17k will buy the 520 and change emblem to 528 . Cannot rebadge to 535 cos exos layout different.

I think there are more people doing (2) than (1) .

1)Those looking for better performance but want to save 17k will buy the 520 and chip it up.

2)Badge whores who want to save 17k will buy the 520 and change emblem to 528 . Cannot rebadge to 535 cos exos layout different.

U rebadge to 535i and change exhaust and drive past me I will laugh at you. The IL4 sound is unmistakable.

why stop there ...

just lup bodykit and badge it ///M5

MTL just buy a 535i.

535i + M-sport + Touring = :wub:

What are you saying lah... compression ratio is compression ratio. It means a 500cc cylinder (2000cc divide by 4) will compress everything 10x or 11x. For NA car the amount of air and fuel is THE SAME to fill up 500cc (assuming stiochiometric a/f ratio) irregardless of compression ratio.

The equation changes when under forced induction. If the compression ratio is too HIGH then it cannot take too much boost. That's because then the 500cc would already have compressed air and fuel inside. Let's say the turbo already gives 2x compression for simplicity. When the cylinder reaches TDC it would be 2 (dynamic compression from turbo) x 10 (static compression from cylinder) = 20:1 compression. Higher boost = higher compression.

IN reality, the boost pressure is not that high (2x). It's more like 1.x.

Atmospheric pressure is approx 14.7psi. Let's say the 520i engine does 8psi boost.

(8+14.7)/14.7 = 1.544

If the static compression ratio is 11, then the resultant compression ratio is 11 x 1.544 = 16.99 which is quite high already... too high, actually. Might need to find the correct numbers.

I'm talking about the shape of the piston crown.

While most conventional piston crowns are flat top or conical top now engineers go into "bowl" shape cavity on the piston crown.

DW_Feb12_pic03.jpg

It's commonly used in diesel engines but now it's popular among petrol engines especially for direct injection.

The shape of the piston bowl controls the movement of air and fuel as the piston comes up for the compression stroke (before the mix is ignited and the piston is pushed downward.) The air and fuel swirl into a vortex inside the piston bowl before combustion (or compression) takes place, creating a better mixture.

By affecting the air/fuel mixture, you can achieve better and more efficient combustion, which leads to more power. The bowls have a variety of different shapes — some are also designed to optimize fuel economy.

Their secret could be the shape of the piston crown how they machine the cavity on the crown to maximise the direct injection to give more power. I'm not talking about the air/fuel ratio formula or the thermodynamic equation.

• Praise 1

Bro I tink your se not vely good leh, I review my previous post and 520 uses 18 inch alloys what else can Ur se be salah on?? Ur se lady ah?

http://www.mycarforum.com/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-78681-0-80597600-1418457296.jpg

The price difference between a 520i and 528i is $17k. The sales consult pointed out only 2 differences:

1) 17" vs 18" rims

2) 184hp vs 245hp (same engine, different state of tune)

Question is: can the 520i be simply tuned to offer 528i performance. If so, where can this be reliably done?

PML anyhow change their package one ...

different batch has diffferent package depends on COE and their pricing and promotion

i would not be surprise PML downside 18" to 17" wheel ... lol

and they also like to play with simi business/luxury/professional/sport "edition" ...

Bro I tink your se not vely good leh, I review my previous post and 520 uses 18 inch alloys what else can Ur se be salah on?? Ur se lady ah?

http://www.mycarforum.com/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-78681-0-80597600-1418457296.jpg

Edited by Wt_know

Akamak I was at pml just the other day should have took a look instead of gorging on free drinks

PML anyhow change their package one ...

different batch has diffferent package depends on COE and their pricing and promotion

i would not be surprise PML downside 18" to 17" wheel ... lol

and they also like to play with simi business/luxury/professional/sport "edition" ....

based on your post ... bmw style 454 wheel looks like this ...

i never see this wheel mounted in pml 520i before ...

if yes ... it's great [thumbsup]

post-7984-0-07912100-1425009225_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

The price difference between a 520i and 528i is $17k. The sales consult pointed out only 2 differences:

1) 17" vs 18" rims

2) 184hp vs 245hp (same engine, different state of tune)

Question is: can the 520i be simply tuned to offer 528i performance. If so, where can this be reliably done?

The salesperson never tell u the most IMPT thing!!!

That is the 528 emblem don't forget to change ya

Save the 17k for petrol as tax gonna increase. You would have better mileage

Edited by Rustyz
  • Praise 1

That rim is Swee swee, I would plus you 5 but system dun allow sad lol

based on your post ... bmw style 454 wheel looks like this ...

i never see this wheel mounted in pml 520i before ...

if yes ... it's great [thumbsup]

I'm talking about the shape of the piston crown.

While most conventional piston crowns are flat top or conical top now engineers go into "bowl" shape cavity on the piston crown.

DW_Feb12_pic03.jpg

It's commonly used in diesel engines but now it's popular among petrol engines especially for direct injection.

The shape of the piston bowl controls the movement of air and fuel as the piston comes up for the compression stroke (before the mix is ignited and the piston is pushed downward.) The air and fuel swirl into a vortex inside the piston bowl before combustion (or compression) takes place, creating a better mixture.

By affecting the air/fuel mixture, you can achieve better and more efficient combustion, which leads to more power. The bowls have a variety of different shapes — some are also designed to optimize fuel economy.

Their secret could be the shape of the piston crown how they machine the cavity on the crown to maximise the direct injection to give more power. I'm not talking about the air/fuel ratio formula or the thermodynamic equation.

Piston crown is piston crown... nothing to do with compression ratio.

This type of question...discussed n number of times liao.

Should ask on bimmer forums.

And many people don't even know what they are talking about.

N20, which is the engine in the 20i and 28i, comes in two states of tune for local market. There are 181hp and 245hp versions.

Difference is a lot less than you think. Main differences are:

1. Larger exhaust diameter and 28i comes with the exhaust flap.

2. Intercooler

3. Piston

The differences in 1 and 2 are insignificant from the power point of view. Why you cannot tune a 520i to a 528i power is because of the compression ratio, caused by piston. Contrary to instinct, the piston on the 520i actually has more material. This is because it has to run a higher compression ratio of 11:1. This means that you need to "shrink" the space more.

Why did bmw do this? They claim it is for efficiency. Actually it makes sense because the higher compression ratio and a leaner mixture will result in better fuel economy. This also means the turbo on the 520i works a lot less hard than the 528i . The turbo will also work less hard than on the 528i to get the same power, if you do make it boost more.

Then in this case, can the 520i be tuned to 240+hp? Of course you can. But realistically, you run into mixture issue where the engine goes lean. The 245hp version of this engine can be tuned to 290+hp with a simple boost controller. The 181hp version can also be tuned to power BEYOND 245hp. However, you will need to richen the mixture or you will risk a lean mixture. This is because the open loop fuelling of the 181hp version will definitely be different from the 245hp...and this is the problem why aftermarket tuning chips cannot push the 520i to 528i power level, because they just cheat the dme in thinking that it is boosting less than it really is. They do not take care of the extra fuelling required when you give more boost...the JB n20 seems to be different though...

And for anyone who thinks the n20 sounds bad...try it on the z4.

• Praise 7

Hmm for a 2L engine, the turbo does surprisingly little for bhp, only 181. But the max torque is 270nm. Interesting.

my car's 2L NA does 153 bhp but only 190nm...

• Praise 1

that's because the N20 turbo engine is R&D to churn out 245bhp & 350Nm - this is the "default" output

the default output of N20 2L turbo is really awesome which is a huge difference compare to 2L NA

the 184bhp/270Nm version is "purposely" find way to detune it ...

Hmm for a 2L engine, the turbo does surprisingly little for bhp, only 181. But the max torque is 270nm. Interesting.

my car's 2L NA does 153 bhp but only 190nm...

Edited by Wt_know

that's because the N20 turbo engine is R&D to churn out 245bhp & 350Nm - this is the "default" output

the default output of N20 2L turbo is really awesome which is a huge difference compare to 2L NA

the 184bhp/270Nm version is "purposely" find way to detune it ...

Thanks.

Impressive stats. With the car weighing almost 200kg more than mine, u do need a lot of pulling power to move it.

Gosh 1730kg. That's even heavier than the S80! [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

BMW 5-series, F10 528i, 0-100 in 6.1s

BMW 3-series, F30 328i, 0-100 in 5.8s

yes, BMW N20 engine is really impressive. BMW has nailed it again for their awesome engine [thumbsup]

Thanks.

Impressive stats. With the car weighing almost 200kg more than mine, u do need a lot of pulling power to move it.

Gosh 1730kg. That's even heavier than the S80! [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement