Is RON97 Really Better Than RON95?

Aaronlkl

Twincharged

This test was done on a Myvi[this type of 'old' technology engine no effect on whatever petrol you put in],if the test is done on a WRX,then different story.

Must get someone to test in Singapore,using a high performance car,using between Shell V-Power & their Fuel Saver 98 petrol,to see any different horsepower output.

3 years in California, I used to pump 87 for my Dodge grand caravan 3.8L. Past 2 years, I upgraded and pump 92 for my Wish in Singapore. While in Malaysia, I had to pump 97. Other than 97 giving lesser mileage, I don't feel any difference between 92 and 97. Mostly city driving.

This test was done on a Myvi[this type of 'old' technology engine no effect on whatever petrol you put in],if the test is done on a WRX,then different story.

Must get someone to test in Singapore,using a high performance car,using between Shell V-Power & their Fuel Saver 98 petrol,to see any different horsepower output.

I'm driving a wrx. 2.0 turbo. A few weeks after i bought the car, i tried putting in a tank of esso 95 to see if i can save money, and because the manual said it can run on 95.

Then i hear the engine ping ping ping and i moved back to 98 for peace of mind. No more pinging ever since.

Tried v-power a few times. No discernible difference from shell 98. Maybe there is, but i don't really care. The price difference doesn't justify the performance difference if any, because i'm driving on street, not track. And on a car like the wrx, a few hp isn't going to make much difference. You're going to still be slower than ferraris, faster than toyotas, and merging into highways is never a problem.

However, there is a difference between esso 98 and shell 98. Esso 98 a lot of backfiring on my car. Shell significantly lesser backfiring.

So now my fuel of preference now is shell 98.

• Praise 3

3 years in California, I used to pump 87 for my Dodge grand caravan 3.8L. Past 2 years, I upgraded and pump 92 for my Wish in Singapore. While in Malaysia, I had to pump 97. Other than 97 giving lesser mileage, I don't feel any difference between 92 and 97. Mostly city driving.

Hey everyone, dun forget not to mix your petrol too. It is best to use a complete 92 full tank and 97 full tank to compare. if not, there is not much difference.

RON98 vs RON95 in 2005 Chevrolet Optra 1.6A

- loaded with 4 adults, more able to accelerate up-slope

- runs hotter

(edited)

Higher octane petrol only beneficial for those high compression or turbo/ supercharged car. This was explained many times b4. For normal bread and butter vehicle with standard compression ratio (eg Vios 1NZFE @10.5, Lanser 4G91 @9.5, Altis 1ZR-FE @10.2), Ron92 is already overkilll.

Only high compression cars (especially those with force induction) will benefits from higher octane petrol as mordern cars are fitted with knock sensors that prevent knock with lower octane. Putting a lower grade of petrol in such car will cause knock to become apparent and the ECU/ knock sensor will make changes to prevent the level of knock, by adjusts fuel and timing accordingly. When this happen, the engine performance drop dramatically.

Ive seen many people who drive a low compression, NA cars and claims that their car could benefits from High grade petrol... I used to explained to them but I have given up...I just tell myself, let them be... If they have extra money to burn, and burning their hard earn monies makes them happy, who am I to interfere?

Edited by Tigershark1976
  • Praise 5

(edited)

I'm driving a wrx. 2.0 turbo. A few weeks after i bought the car, i tried putting in a tank of esso 95 to see if i can save money, and because the manual said it can run on 95.

Then i hear the engine ping ping ping and i moved back to 98 for peace of mind. No more pinging ever since.

Tried v-power a few times. No discernible difference from shell 98. Maybe there is, but i don't really care. The price difference doesn't justify the performance difference if any, because i'm driving on street, not track. And on a car like the wrx, a few hp isn't going to make much difference. You're going to still be slower than ferraris, faster than toyotas, and merging into highways is never a problem.

However, there is a difference between esso 98 and shell 98. Esso 98 a lot of backfiring on my car. Shell significantly lesser backfiring.

So now my fuel of preference now is shell 98.

If the manual says Ron 95 is usable, and you experience ping using Ron95, thats a major variance in specification. You should bring the car back and ask them to fix the bloody problem.

Car manufacturer usually stated higher Ron requirement in their user manual to ensure that ping does not occur. In your case, I suspect that either your knock sensor is up lorry alrd, or your ECU programming is not correct, or the petrol kiosk is mixing lower grade petrol with higher grade ones...

Edited by Tigershark1976

i use ron 98 from esso

last time used V power but no difference. only price is different.

i believe conti cars should use 98 to have a cleaner fuel combustion which is better for engine in long term

Turbocharged

Just use the minimum recommended will do. Simple as that. Human drink plain water is minimum recommended. No need to drink expensive starbucks lah.

• Praise 1

Just use the minimum recommended will do. Simple as that. Human drink plain water is minimum recommended. No need to drink expensive starbucks lah.

True.

I drink Ice mountain mineral water vs Evian no difference.

Actually got a bit. Evian more salty.

If you were to put things into perspective, RON95 makes the most sense for most malaysians driving their locally produced cars. Why spend on RON 97 if their cars aren't capable of maximising the benefit from it.

Perhaps one should observe Malaysians and Singaporeans at a petrol station in Malaysia. To most of the Malaysians, petrol is expensive. You hardly ever see them pumping petrol till the brim of the fuel tank. To Singaporeans, petrol in Malaysia is cheap so you'll see them trying very hard to get as much petrol in their car as possible even if it means looking like a jackass shaking the car hoping to get more petrol in.

• Praise 2

Wrx 2.0T ping with 95?

I use 95 with Subaru LGT totally no ping

I using 98 now for my forester 2.5T when with 95 alittle like out of breathe but better mileage..

98 ok, but mileage less about 30-40km for a full tank...think the old owner tune to using 98.

think it still affects more on Turbo cars , NA no problem on Malaysia 95 also.

(edited)

For those who really REALLY want to know how the petrol company make RON92 to Ron98 from the same blendstock........

This article from Australia is very enlightening.

Those who are chemically inclined and have the mental concentration to really read thru this article may finally understand how Higher Rons are created by adding different types of additives and its effect on the engine and environment.

In a nutshell....different RONs is mostly in the additives.

http://www.environment.gov.au/system/files/resources/25ef6a75-3a09-4ec1-ba1b-3b3db21ab31a/files/octane-report.pdf

Good luck reading and be educated!

Edited by Jwee85

If the manual says Ron 95 is usable, and you experience ping using Ron95, thats a major variance in specification. You should bring the car back and ask them to fix the bloody problem.

Car manufacturer usually stated higher Ron requirement in their user manual to ensure that ping does not occur. In your case, I suspect that either your knock sensor is up lorry alrd, or your ECU programming is not correct, or the petrol kiosk is mixing lower grade petrol with higher grade ones...

Engine still pinging from using recommended RON can only mean that something is wrong, ie. wrong heat range sparkplugs or carbon built-up in combustion chamber which causes fuel to ignite prematurely. This is common issue on older cars.

Higher RON actually means the fuel is not easily ignited, which causes pinging, under high pressure so it's suitable for FI cars. And for those NA cars that claim they benefit from it, maybe it's just a placebo effect.

↡ Advertisement