Retirement in Malaysia - how much RM a month for living?

Turbocharged
(edited)

as we get older the houses should get smaller. Makes transition to a 6x2x1.5 foot box easier.

Edited by Karoon
↡ Advertisement

as we get older the houses should get smaller. Makes transition to a 6x2x1.5 foot box easier.

I am looking at the 50-year leasehold 2ftx2ftx3ft prime lot, with unblock view.

I am looking at the 50-year leasehold 2ftx2ftx3ft prime lot, with unblock view.

Usual addresses all 4 digits.

Roughly how much for a decent lifestyle excluding overseas travel?

3,000RM per couple?

5,000RM per couple?

For views, thanks.

I am in my early 40s. I now have a seafront apartment in Malaysia, which I also use for holidays, awaiting my retirement. When you are old, you don't want to look after a huge house with gardens, roofing, outdoor furniture, etc. It's a lot of work. You want elevators, not stairs. You want covered car parks and conveniences. You want somewhere you can simply sit down, lim kopi, read your newspapers and curse about politics. Most important, healthcare must be reasonably good and affordable.

If your accommodation and car is not factored in, RM3000 per couple is comfortable for a small town. Larger towns, probably close to RM4000. This is probably excluding luxuries like liquor, cigarettes and appliances. The amount is purely for daily use of food and groceries.

You don't need to buy your retirement home early if you don't wish to. There are always new places coming up, there will always be price increases. However, planning is essential.

• Praise 4

I am in my early 40s. I now have a seafront apartment in Malaysia, which I also use for holidays, awaiting my retirement. When you are old, you don't want to look after a huge house with gardens, roofing, outdoor furniture, etc. It's a lot of work. You want elevators, not stairs. You want covered car parks and conveniences. You want somewhere you can simply sit down, lim kopi, read your newspapers and curse about politics. Most important, healthcare must be reasonably good and affordable.

If your accommodation and car is not factored in, RM3000 per couple is comfortable for a small town. Larger towns, probably close to RM4000. This is probably excluding luxuries like liquor, cigarettes and appliances. The amount is purely for daily use of food and groceries.

You don't need to buy your retirement home early if you don't wish to. There are always new places coming up, there will always be price increases. However, planning is essential.

My wife's relative about 80 yo refused to let go her 30,000+ sf property. Instead she borrowed from bank against her property to distribute to her children who wanted their shares earlier..

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

Most people (99% of the time), tend to play down the costs of health care.

Later in life.....I will worry a hell lot more on medical costs more than anything else.

Thats why one choose to work beyond retirement, so that this highly unpredictable cost is covered by the company insurance policy....at least part of it if not 100%.

re harsh old thread.

Malacca mokota Hospital can used medisave.

Assuming you are singaporean.

When old very hard to move around and 800 sq ft is too big.

350 sq ft will be more than enough.

All those people that say MM apartments won't sell

will see all the old people grabbing those to retire in.

:D

1000 sqft is just right. 350 sqft might as well look for a prison got frens and daily exercise and people to chat round the clock.

re harsh old thread.

Both Mahkota and Pantai hospital can use medisave, but i think you need to apply before the surgery.

Both Mahkota and Pantai hospital can use medisave, but i think you need to apply before the surgery.

Nope, no longer allowed. It was allowed for a short period before they discontinued. Maternity I think still OK but not other kind of surgery.

Hell no way im going to trust ppl up north.

Their policies change like roti prata........ [dead]

Somemore you are going there as a non-local breed and non-malay. [knife]

re harsh old thread.

1000 sqft is just right. 350 sqft might as well look for a prison got frens and daily exercise and people to chat round the clock.

Supercharged

Stayed in East Ledang semi D house over the weekend.

It was quite nice. Big spacious house, but i see rows of empty houses....... dunno whether the development is fully sold or not.

the major problem i have about this place is the houses are next to the big power lines and towers. Its an eyesore and i know they are not good for health reasons.

just checked the asking prices, its about RM$ 2.5 million and above

Worth or not? I dunno.

post-28957-0-45471200-1439263850_thumb.jpg

post-28957-0-89890500-1439263865_thumb.jpg

It was quite nice. Big spacious house, but i see rows of empty houses....... dunno whether the development is fully sold or not.

the major problem i have about this place is the houses are next to the big power lines and towers. Its an eyesore and i know they are not good for health reasons.

Worth or not? I dunno.

0.jpg

Worth or not? I dunno.

if the ringette continues to weaken till 4:1 SGD, I think its going to be a geece situation.

Crime rate would be very worrying...

There are still plenty of cheap options out there, the question now is would you see the asset appreciate after you bought it, or its going to be an asset to live in till you call it a day on earth.

My preferrence in Malacca is the high speed rail, on a worst case I need to come back to use SG health facilities while I retire in Malacca where the cost is slightly lower and the ameneties are decent.

Of course Penang could be one of the better destination or thailand but then the time to come back to SG would be even longer.

Worth or not? I dunno.

i viewed some of these houses couple of years back

poor condition even when it was just completed few months before. Design also not very functional in some areas, worksmanship and building materials looked below average

2.5m is very over priced, even in ringgit!

1m still can consider... [laugh]

Supercharged

i viewed some of these houses couple of years back

poor condition even when it was just completed few months before. Design also not very functional in some areas, worksmanship and building materials looked below average

2.5m is very over priced, even in ringgit!

1m still can consider... [laugh]

how about Bukit Indah properties? near to Aeon Mall...........

how about Bukit Indah properties? near to Aeon Mall...........

if for investment income, u will probably have a higher chance of finding a tenant at bukit indah compared to places like medini

for retirement stay, i would also prefer bukit indah. at least got signs of human activity.

but prices there also overpriced at the moment.

Supercharged

if for investment income, u will probably have a higher chance of finding a tenant at bukit indah compared to places like medini

for retirement stay, i would also prefer bukit indah. at least got signs of human activity.

but prices there also overpriced at the moment.

yeah, i concur with yr logic.

are the prices really overpriced now? i saw a brand new condo development, Sky Loft ######, just next to Aeon Mall, average price is RM$500-$600 psf. I believe can even go lower if serious buy. Freehold

Also, brand new 2-storey Terraced House with 4 bedder, 500 metre away from Aeon Mall, asking for RM$1.1 million. also freehold