2014 Corolla Altis - Technical, Features & Use

Kklee

It's normal if it's not loud.

Need to request the mechanic grease them periodically if you always use pressure-jet car wash.

foot brake.. SE told me it is normal

↡ Advertisement

another new user of altis reporting in. about 10 days old. due for 1st oil change next wk.

so far so good. only 2 issues:

1) car boot doesn't shut well mostly. just wldn't latch on. need to try time the boot door lever and closing it to make the latches catch the lock.

2) very irritated by the lock @ >20km/h. cos I have to manually unlock after I stop the car. anyone knows how to reprogram to switch all doors unlock when in P gear?

otherwise, great car for my needs.

ps: I do have that same dragging sounds when I release the brakes and let it crawl slowly. I guess it's normal.

Edited by Hdbanger
  • Praise 2

(edited)

2) very irritated by the lock @ >20km/h. cos I have to manually unlock after I stop the car. anyone knows how to reprogram to switch all doors unlock when in P gear?

I read that this plus many other functions can be changed via the navigation system.

However, the navigation system on mine does not support it.

I guess have to refer back to BMS.

Also, the map is outdated.

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 1

another new user of altis reporting in. about 10 days old. due for 1st oil change next wk.

so far so good. only 2 issues:

1) car boot doesn't shut well mostly. just wldn't latch on. need to try time the boot door lever and closing it to make the latches catch the lock.

otherwise, great car for my needs.

ps: I do have that same dragging sounds when I release the brakes and let it crawl slowly. I guess it's normal.

Faced similar issues too...

1) Need to bang a bit harder just to lock the boot...

2) Just wonder whether can auto lock when switch on engine and auto-unlock when engine is off....

(edited)

2) Just wonder whether can auto lock when switch on engine and auto-unlock when engine is off....

The owner's manual listed a lot of option.

1 - Speed-detecting automatic door lock function

2 - Opening driver's door unlock all doors

3 - Shifting gears to P unlocks all doors

4 - Shifting gears to position other than P locks all doors

5 - Locking/unlocking of the trunk when all doors are locked/unlocked

* some functions works only with smart entry & start system

Do take note.

1k - Oil change only. No change of oil filter.

5k - Inspection only. No change of oil.

10k - Includes tyre rotation.

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 2

To response to your auto lock. This is a issue I faced with my G10.

For G11, switch off your engine, open your driver's door and all doors will be unlocked.

If you open driver's door and switch off engine, all your doors will still be locked. Quite stupid function actually.

• Praise 1

I read that this plus many other functions can be changed via the navigation system.

However, the navigation system on mine does not support it.

I guess have to refer back to BMS.

Also, the map is outdated.

I read the manual too. but the instructions given, seemed meant for another headunit in another country. so it's a dead end. SA tried giving door lock method the camrys used. also doesn't work. will have to harass the tech ppl when I do 1k oil change.

as for the map, give up. gonna do a headunit change soon, and install a separate GPS. end of story.

For G11, switch off your engine, open your driver's door and all doors will be unlocked.

If you open driver's door and switch off engine, all your doors will still be locked. Quite stupid function actually.

for my G11, didn't happen. engine off, 3 doors remained locked when I open my driver's door. have to keep manually pressing unlock button on driver armrest to get things from back seat.

my dad's G9 altis has a cracked plastic latch for the boot cover part of the lock. cos he cannot get the lock to catch too. he always has to give it a huge bang to make the lock catch. I don't intend to do it for years with this new car.

• Praise 1

Anyone planning to install K&N air filter in their Altis?

Sticking to stock for the moment. You have any experience with it ?

I read the manual too. but the instructions given, seemed meant for another headunit in another country. so it's a dead end. SA tried giving door lock method the camrys used. also doesn't work. will have to harass the tech ppl when I do 1k oil change.

as for the map, give up. gonna do a headunit change soon, and install a separate GPS. end of story.

Hearsay for the first variant, the head unit (making it an option) and leather is installed locally. That said, I am just wondering if there are choices of head units that can be ordered an installed. The ones I saw on Youtube has a lot of features linked to the car computer.

For the GPS, I do like that it can navigate inside the tunnel. A dislike is that during cloudy days, the location goes hay-wiring.

I feel the map is really a sad story. In one of the YouTube posted on the Altis review during the launch, the map also wasn't updated.

Twincharged
(edited)

Anyone planning to install K&N air filter in their Altis?

Use stock la. Will not make any diff with all these filters. What they do is to let more silicon in.

Been the and done it with foam filter, k&n, and the worst is mesh filter(Might as well not put). No difference in performance la. Only more noise

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

All my vehicles had aftermarket air filters like K&N. Initial response are increased HP and torque. After a week of driving, I got used to it and eventually the feel will be non-existent. Same thing even if you install cold air intake system and rejet your ride. Been there, done that.

That's why I don't bother to do anything more for BB cars other than the aftermarket air filter. Afterall, at the end of 10 years, it's all coke cans like Mr Mod put it.

Sticking to stock for the moment. You have any experience with it ?

• Praise 2

All my vehicles had aftermarket air filters like K&N. Initial response are increased HP and torque. After a week of driving, I got used to it and eventually the feel will be non-existent. Same thing even if you install cold air intake system and rejet your ride. Been there, done that.

That's why I don't bother to do anything more for BB cars other than the aftermarket air filter. Afterall, at the end of 10 years, it's all coke cans like Mr Mod put it.

Is the torque/hp still there if the feel is not there?

perhaps i treat it like a BB car. or maybe still new don't wanna ram it. but it's strong enough to pull itself forward. so long as it can run along w cabs, and do a bit of overtaking when needed, it's good enough. but like the smooth gear change, unnoticeable.

The increase in torque and HP is insignificant. Prob 5 ponies. After a while, you get use to this power and thus get used to the feel. That is why the feel will eventually be non-existent.

I used to own a rebuilt 1989 323 Astina back and after a while you don't really get a kick of the power unless you intend to street race with someone. Now family take precedence, bad boy days are over. Time to set life's priorities right.

That's why my last 2 cars have been Altis. Save me the temptation of poison. 😁

(edited)

Hey guys I managed to figure out the door auto unlock function when you switch gear lever to P.

Read page 501 in the manual for the instructions to set or cancel the function.

Briefly.

1) All doors closed.

2) turn key to on or switch to ACC.

3) press and hold door lock/unlock switch for 5 seconds.

4) door unlock function set (note that there is no indication/sound)

Edited by Advancer
  • Praise 2

Hey guys I managed to figure out the door auto unlock function when you switch gear lever to P.

Read page 501 in the manual for the instructions to set or cancel the function.

Briefly.

1) All doors closed.

2) turn key to on or switch to ACC.

3) press and hold door lock/unlock switch for 5 seconds.

4) door unlock function set (note that there is no indication/sound)

salesman supplied the instruction. tried it several times (unlock switch), didnt work. trying to fig if i missed anything.

↡ Advertisement