Honda Civic 2007 Repair/Maintenance

Metalslug2

Dats true but I need to find out wat actually causes the wheel bearings to fail early or otherwise I will be replacing them again after 60k

↡ Advertisement

are you the original owner of this car since day one or did you replace the wheel bearings when you first took over the car and they are now failing?

Hi, my car also has this same sound. Happened yesterday. Present mileage is 104000km. How much are the wheel bearings? Can I buy them near Jet Cheng's shop at Thien Seng ?

Dats true but I need to find out wat actually causes the wheel bearings to fail early or otherwise I will be replacing them again after 60k

are you the original owner of this car since day one or did you replace the wheel bearings when you first took over the car and they are now failing?

I am not the first owner. Took over the car 3 years ago and had the 4 shocks replaced & followed with the wheel bearing 06 months later

i should say quality, all these years of driving i have never heard of shock absorbers causing wheel bearing the pre mature fail. this is unlikely.

In that case maybe the quality of the bearing itself

wheel bearing doesnt cost much. buy the part and get your workshop to replace them. pay labor fee.

+ wheel alignment

Hi, my car also has this same sound. Happened yesterday. Present mileage is 104000km. How much are the wheel bearings? Can I buy them near Jet Cheng's shop at Thien Seng ?

I can't remember the exact prices for the front and rear wheel bearings, but they are not too expensive if you get from the right source. Search for Wheel Bearing Solution. OEM wheel bearings from NTN are good enough. Just make sure they are made in Japan.

if you want to buy the replacement parts from Thien Seng in Johor, it's best you contact the shop to check on the availability first.

I am not the first owner. Took over the car 3 years ago and had the 4 shocks replaced & followed with the wheel bearing 06 months later

In that case maybe the quality of the bearing itself

+ wheel alignment

wheel bearings are quite lasting. they are likely to last 100K - 120K before a replacement is required.

are the existing wheel bearings Honda-branded or OEM?

apart from quality, the kind of road surface you have been driving on does directly affect the lifespan of wheel bearings.

before you proceed to replace the wheel bearings, have the car jacked up and get the mechanic to check for any free play when he shakes the wheel.

wheel bearings are quite lasting. they are likely to last 100K - 120K before a replacement is required.

apart from quality, the kind of road surface you have been driving on does directly affect the lifespan of wheel bearings.

before you proceed to replace the wheel bearings, have the car jacked up and get the mechanic to check for any free play when he shakes the wheel.

20 years of driving and a couple of cars later, none of their wheel bearings can last over 60k-80k on SG roads. Definitely one or a pair will have issue.

20 years of driving and a couple of cars later, none of their wheel bearings can last over 60k-80k on SG roads. Definitely one or a pair will have issue.

is it really so bad? my previous car clocked more than 150K when it had to be scrapped and all wheel bearings were still working fine.

The bearings are from NTN. Will get the mechanic to chk, thanks

Can share the make of those cars you had?

My last unit was a Toyota Altis & I had 300K km on it but I had only changed the wheel bearing once.

(edited)

I know that if rear wheel bearing needs replacement it will be wong wong sound when traveling above 50km per hour.

So what noise does it make if Front wheel bearing needs replacement?

Been experiencing wheee sound when moving off. However, the noise will stop after maybe speed of 50km per hour.

The drive is still smooth. 2 weeks ago went Genting and back.

Mystery to me. Ride is Fd4a.

Edited by Andyong

I know that if rear wheel bearing needs replacement it will be wong wong sound when traveling above 50km per hour.

So what noise does it make if Front wheel bearing needs replacement?

Been experiencing wheee sound when moving off. However, the noise will stop after maybe speed of 50km per hour.

The drive is still smooth. 2 weeks ago went Genting and back.

Mystery to me. Ride is Fd4a.

Tyre noise is it?

Tyre noise is it?

Don't think so. Sound comes from the front left side (when seated inside).

The noise will start from moving off above 2.5 to 3k rpm. There after no more whee sound at cruise.

the owner's manual states that a 5w30 engine is required. perhaps, you should have used a 0w30 or 5w30 oil. if you are only driving in SG most of the time, even a 5w20 oil can be used.

there are many factors affecting FC. if you always make short trips, FC will definitely be bad. avoid jack rabbit start when the traffic light turns green and do not brake unnecessarily. rim size should not go beyond 17" and the air pressure for all tyres should be maintained at around 240-250kpa.

mine fd 1.8A..i use 5w30....brand is Enoc...mileage 260K Km....very hapy with this oil...so far last 3 oil change i use..bagus [thumbsup]

http://www.sgcarmart.com/products/overview.php?ID=9807

Let's be realistic. The FD Civic is never a fuel efficient car to begin with. I am driving a RN series Stream (same engine as 1.8 Civic) so I know the FC performance of this engine series. The FC number is around 10 or 11, at best around 12.

agree mine fd 1.8 everything stock average 10km litre

Don't think so. Sound comes from the front left side (when seated inside).

The noise will start from moving off above 2.5 to 3k rpm. There after no more whee sound at cruise.

check your belt tensioner. it could be loose or have sign of wear.

↡ Advertisement