Facelift Mazda 6

Sorry to side-track.  I am deciding between mazda 6 and A180.  Like both cars.  A180 cost roughly $20K more.  Shall I pay $20K more to go for premium brand.  Or save the $20K for a Mazda 6?

if its a bmw IL6, i dont know why people is complaining about maintenance.

i know friends that own 5 and 7 series and beemer is reliable and not ex at all especially for a E60.

Sorry to side-track.  I am deciding between mazda 6 and A180.  Like both cars.  A180 cost roughly $20K more.  Shall I pay $20K more to go for premium brand.  Or save the $20K for a Mazda 6?

I test-driven both cars during my "selection process" for a new ride some months back.

Just to share my personal opinion and no offence to anyone. I prefer the drive and (passenger) seat comfort of the Mazda 6 over the Mercedes Benz (MB) A180.  The drive on the A180 was rather uncomfortable and both the rear seat passengers and I experienced quite a bit of wind noise.  The cabin feel of the A180 seems "claustrophobic".  I do not relish driving the A180 at all.

The drive in the Mazda 6 was enjoyable and it was roomy enough to not cause any space discomfort.

I was informed by the MB SE that a new facelift for the A180 is launching soon in the first quarter of 2016.

A-Class is more for Ladies[except you go for the A250 or A45],Mazda 6 looks more Macho.....for Mercedes Benz,only go for the RWD,at least C180...

Sorry to side-track. I am deciding between mazda 6 and A180. Like both cars. A180 cost roughly $20K more. Shall I pay $20K more to go for premium brand. Or save the $20K for a Mazda 6?

I would go for Mazda 6 for practical reasons.

Premium brand? It all boils down to perception and snob appeal. People "think" and perceive you to be well-to-do if you drive a Mercedes.

Under the bonnet of the Ssangyong Chairman is a Mercedes S Class engine, yet it can't sell despite being just over half the price of the S Class.

As William Shakespeare said " The world is a stage ".

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Just relating my personal experience, i own the 2.5L Mazda 6, pre-FL version. Sold it after just 5 months. 

Pro :- looks nice, big boot, spacious rear seats, FC is acceptable, aircon is terrific cold and perfect for SG . Handling is good, agile for a big car. 

Cons - and i advise you to really look carefully during your test drive

1) there is no central lock button or auto lock feature. Most cars these days auto lock all doors once you drive off, even the Peruda Kancil i rented in Langkawi on holiday. this is an essential feature esp with kids behind and driving up north

2) there is no boot release button inside the cabin. Can you believe that? you have to either press the boot release on the remote or walked out to the rear to open the boot.

3) Cabin and engine noise - this is unbearable for a so call lux car that cost well over 140k. it is too noisy. 

4) too long and big, it is hard to slot in to a parallel lot, but the sensors and rear cam certainly helps. 

In my recent trip to the states, (un)fortunately, i was given a mazda 6 again. Issues 1-3 is non-existence. All these features  are in the car and road noise is acceptable, but power is really lacking the punch. Struggles on the freeway to overtake at 110mph. I can only say the local agent, for some reasons, decide to leave out those simple safety features. And as for road noise, my advise to you is to change out the std Toyo tires.. they are really noisy.

Overall, if you need a big spacious car, Maz6 is not a bad choice, but if you want a more refine, smooth drive, you are probably better off with a Camry lower range/size conti.  

• Praise 1

Just relating my personal experience, i own the 2.5L Mazda 6, pre-FL version. Sold it after just 5 months. 

Pro :- looks nice, big boot, spacious rear seats, FC is acceptable, aircon is terrific cold and perfect for SG . Handling is good, agile for a big car. 

1) there is no central lock button or auto lock feature. Most cars these days auto lock all doors once you drive off, even the Peruda Kancil i rented in Langkawi on holiday. this is an essential feature esp with kids behind and driving up north

2) there is no boot release button inside the cabin. Can you believe that? you have to either press the boot release on the remote or walked out to the rear to open the boot.

3) Cabin and engine noise - this is unbearable for a so call lux car that cost well over 140k. it is too noisy. 

4) too long and big, it is hard to slot in to a parallel lot, but the sensors and rear cam certainly helps. 

In my recent trip to the states, (un)fortunately, i was given a mazda 6 again. Issues 1-3 is non-existence. All these features  are in the car and road noise is acceptable, but power is really lacking the punch. Struggles on the freeway to overtake at 110mph. I can only say the local agent, for some reasons, decide to leave out those simple safety features. And as for road noise, my advise to you is to change out the std Toyo tires.. they are really noisy.

Overall, if you need a big spacious car, Maz6 is not a bad choice, but if you want a more refine, smooth drive, you are probably better off with a Camry lower range/size conti.  

thanks your valuable review, pt 1 should be easy fix in aftermarket,

unbelievable its noise and lack of power, though its new active sky engine should be outstanding in NA 2.5 category, 189bhp even is higher than Camry, Accord

Bro, my opinion only -

I had driven both Mazda 6 pre and post FL and decided to wait for the post FL M6 as there is a marked difference in terms of the software, looks (especially interior) and performance.

The engine in the current FL M6 is enhanced by the Sport mode and it really feels like it is turbocharged with 191 hp! This is a marked difference where the engine was more sedated without it. Then again, those in 2.5l have the paddle shifters and you could manually kick the gears down. I have no problems dragging the car from 100 to 170km/h sometimes (not recommended for safe driving.....) in NSHW, love the engine grunt :)

I guess the wind noise is a little subjective. For me, coming from a Honda Civic 2.0, the insulation is much better. But if you had downgraded from a Lexus, then it is noisier. Then again, different price points bro ;)

Finally, the tyres you use does help a lot. Try the Michelin Premacy LCs on the M6, they are great tyres! Good balance in grip for both dry and wet plus long mileage. Although they are pricey, what you pay is what you get ;)

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

The Maz 6 i drove in the states was a rental car, a FL model, agree the interior looks much better. The h'way speed limit is 65mph ( about 110km/h, not 110mph), car struggles to accelerate up to 75-85mph to overtake, despite have a stated 189hp. I used to rent a Kia Optimal (as comparison) very punchy, flooring the car and you are assured to get a ticket. Maz6 is more sedate. I changed to Maz 6 from a Conti, use to own a 2.0L Civic, but i really don't recall the Civic being so Noisy. I think the biggest problem is the tyres, so a switch to Mich tyres would probably help. Cheers. 

hmm. rather than A class.

maybe you can consider the BMW 116D. good FC and diesel and price point also swee. 130+k

http://www.carsomesg.com/news/item/Harrier-VS-CX-5-Which-is-the-Best-Valued-SUV

An interesting thing to note is that the Mazda 6 has two major issues, suspension and noise. Users have complained about needing to change suspensions not too long from the day of purchase, which isn’t a good sign. We’ve personally felt that the CX-5 is a bit noisy but as far as the suspension issues go with the CX-5, it remains to be seen.

article claim that Mazda6 got suspension problem.

don't know how true though.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1