Post New car collection Blues

zerobim08

Bro,

6 months ago, A3 sedan was sold at 141k.. the price was good but i had a chance to test drive Nissan QQ as well and at the same price, I choose the latter. Reason is simple - at the same price you are getting an SUV vs a small sedan. Of course the batch matters but at the same price I am getting an SUV made in the UK.

Also M3 or K3 may be just 15k away but 15k is still a lot of money to some.

Everyone has different opinion and liking, I guess no right or wrong on what car you choose at the end of the day as long as you enjoy the ride! :)

SUV better than sedan? I would pick A3 anyday over QQ but like you say, there is no right or wrong.

↡ Advertisement

I understand your point of view. And I an not trying to justify this or that. I was just explaining price difference to the previous poster.

Long time back I had a suv (tucson) but now I just want a normal car which is more suitable for my need. Quite belated the suv rage seems to have catch on in Singapore whereas in the rest of the world the rage is receding.

Personally I think suv is not that suitable for singapore use. If you need the space a mpv (mini mpv) may be better.

When I test drove the car it was very quiet. Outside and engine noise is like a distant hum.

So besides FC, which is never accurate, what else did not meet your expectations?

Anyway, you will learn, just like I did when I bought an MPV many years ago with 2 test drives. Regret big time after I collected the car.

Now I asked my SE to allow me longer test drives (by showing him I am a sincere buyer) and if possible, I rent the car for a couple of weeks while overseas, just to make sure it works for me.

SUV better than sedan? I would pick A3 anyday over QQ but like you say, there is no right or wrong.

Bro, I never say suv is better than sedan. I am talking in term of pricing. Usually suv is priced above the lower end sedan in a particular brand. For instance, a Q3 vs A3. So I am saying the price of A3 can get an SUV but jap brand.

Twincharged

Depends on usage I guess. For me I also go for the SUV because sometimes I need to transport bicycles and I prefer not to use a bicycle rack. For SUV I can just fold the rear seats and load the bicycles in but for sedans sure need a bicycle rack.

Twincharged

Anyway,the 7 speed DSG's problem cannot be solved,it is using Dry clutch,alot of of stop-go traffic bring problem to this gearbox,once the clutch wear down to a certain limit,'juggling' will come in,this gearbox only good with alot of long distance,high speed driving like in German Roads.

• Praise 1

My driver's seat in my so-called luxury German marque failed to function in the drive home from showroom after collection.

Went to the service centre the next day which luckily was close to my home. The technician found that a connector was not properly inserted till locked, in the door. During the drive home, the connector became loose from the road bumps.

It must have been the assembly line worker was in a Christmas mood and got careless. Connected, but did not check that the catch was engaged.

My driver's seat in my so-called luxury German marque failed to function in the drive home from showroom after collection.

Went to the service centre the next day which luckily was close to my home. The technician found that a connector was not properly inserted till locked, in the door. During the drive home, the connector became loose from the road bumps.

It must have been the assembly line worker was in a Christmas mood and got careless. Connected, but did not check that the catch was engaged.

care to share with us which brand? =3

Twincharged

care to share with us which brand? =3

Power seat switch on the door,only Mercedes Benz...

Also for the dry clutch DSG,those who like to go Johor often,where jams can be up to 3 hours,will risk the clutch wear off even faster....because when idling in "D" mode,the clutch is engaged[so that the car can creep slowly],thus alot of heat is produced,+ hot weather...make it worse.. [thumbsdown]

Anyway,the 7 speed DSG's problem cannot be solved,it is using Dry clutch,alot of of stop-go traffic bring problem to this gearbox,once the clutch wear down to a certain limit,'juggling' will come in,this gearbox only good with alot of long distance,high speed driving like in German Roads.

I don't think this is a valid statement from an engineering point of view. Even at worst the problem cannot be totally eliminated but at the very least it can be minimized.

Personally I am not fretting over this. Even the most reliable car brand also breakdown. Much depends on your luck and also how you drive or maintain your car.

(edited)

Power seat switch on the door,only Mercedes Benz...

Also for the dry clutch DSG,those who like to go Johor often,where jams can be up to 3 hours,will risk the clutch wear off even faster....because when idling in "D" mode,the clutch is engaged[so that the car can creep slowly],thus alot of heat is produced,+ hot weather...make it worse.. [thumbsdown]

I think the clutch is disengaged if you press the brake and car is at standstill. Of course it is not good to let car creep forward by releasing brake without pressing accelerator which engages the clutch. Same concept as a manual car. Edited by zerobim08

A3 is built on newer MQB platform compared to Jetta.

Anyway for me the consideration buying A3 is paying $10-15K more than Altis/mazda3/jetta/civic/kiak3 to get the following:-

-more luxury and quiet interior

-better performance, ride quality and handling

-better safety

-better FC and greener car

-nicer exterior design (imo)

-badge that is a class above.

By the way bro, the latest price for K3/M3/Jetta/Altis to Audi A3 is not 10k to 15k but a good 25k-30k which I think it's quite a lot. Now A3 selling at 141k.

Audi gearbox and VW gearbox are different ah, just so you know. Even though same company group.

I think the A1/A3 uses same gearbox as VW Golf.

Twincharged
(edited)

Audi gearbox and VW gearbox are different ah, just so you know. Even though same company group.

A3 used the same DSG as Jetta/Golf,A6 2.0 using CVT[this one then not the same],while A8 used the ZF 8 speeds Auto,which are used in Bentley,BMW & others top end cars. [thumbsup]

Anyway,Audi's Agent,Premium Motor service,is better than VW service,i heard that if DSG fail,it just take 2 days to replace,and in these 2 days,All owners are given either courtesy cars or rental cars,not like VW,just "Peanuts" taxi fare,even your car in the workshop for 8 days.

Edited by ER-3682

Actually the s tronic is a type of dsg. Thought there are different typea, but generally world wide, most complains are for the dry dsg, there are wet clutch ones as well.

↡ Advertisement