Anyone drove from SG to Bangkok before? Any advice?

Cheefarn

like driving up very taxing, plus flying over maybe cheaper, i think i may fly over n buy car parts in bkk then bring back home. hehe

Different experience and flying is only to one destination. Driving, it is multiple destinations. I like to stop by the smaller towns and just look see look see.

There is a cruuse option to BKK too.

Different ppl, different strokes.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

No need "maybe', flying is ALWAYS cheaper. Driving on a road trip is about the experience, seeing things you will never get to see in flight. If cheaper, then maybe take plane or take bus. 

If drive a few hours a day, rest in a small town, experience the local culture and local food, then continue the next day, it's not taxing, but it's more expensive for sure.

i went to Betong before, tiring sia... lol

set off at 2am, reached ipoh at 9am, then hoot to betong at 12pm cos got 1 guy went missing...

but it was fun with a big group. haha, but very taxing

i went to Betong before, tiring sia... lol

set off at 2am, reached ipoh at 9am, then hoot to betong at 12pm cos got 1 guy went missing...

but it was fun with a big group. haha, but very taxing

Betong the border town in south Thailand? why? nothing much there, unless just transit point. I went once. regret big time lol

Just came back from betong.

The 1st and the last, wont visit Betong again.

None of my Singapore mobile lines able to detect the Thailand line.

Spent two nights at Grand Mandarin, changed plan and head back to Singapore to change sim cards (need it for communication with clients).  I suppose to hit up North to Bangkok

I thot sim card spoilt. But when I reached Malaysia, all the Singapore simcards back to life. Really WTF. Spoilt my whole trip.

I dont have this issue when I drove to Phuket last June.

Both trips used the SAME sim cards and SAME pohone.

I have 3 Post-paid SIM cards 02 Singtel and 01 M1.

3 Pre-paid Starhub SIM cards for Internet data purposes.

1 pre-paid Malaysia Digi card also cannot use in Thailand. 

All have auto-roaming.

Using Mi-max 2, Mi5, S9plus, IP8+

Heng, i bought DTAC prepaid card before the trip, to use it in Thailand road for GPS

Edited by Mcf777
  • Praise 1

Just came back from betong.

The 1st and the last, wont visit Betong again.

None of my Singapore mobile lines able to detect the Thailand line.

Spent two nights at Grand Mandarin, changed plan and head back to Singapore to change sim cards (need it for communication with clients).  I suppose to hit up North to Bangkok

I thot sim card spoilt. But when I reached Malaysia, all the Singapore simcards back to life. Really WTF. Spoilt my whole trip.

I dont have this issue when I drove to Phuket last June.

Both trips used the SAME sim cards and SAME pohone.

I have 3 Post-paid SIM cards 02 Singtel and 01 M1.

3 Pre-paid Starhub SIM cards for Internet data purposes.

1 pre-paid Malaysia Digi card also cannot use in Thailand. 

All have auto-roaming.

Using Mi-max 2, Mi5, S9plus, IP8+

Heng, i bought DTAC prepaid card before the trip, to use it in Thailand road for GPS

wow. that sucks. I supposed u needed the SG lines for phone calls? otherwise the DTAC is sufficient for data and VOIP communication.

Yes. I need the Singapore number for receiving call and OTP purposes.

M1 staff helpful.

Guide me thru many others way. But still cannot.

Singtel really CB. Can't even get thru their hotline.

Kept on saying call back again. Don't even give me a chance to hold on to the line.

All the Singapore mobile line didn't even receive any SMS when I enter Thailand border.

It was perfectly fine when we are roaming in Malaysia.

Yes. I need the Singapore number for receiving call and OTP purposes.

M1 staff helpful.

Guide me thru many others way. But still cannot.

Singtel really CB. Can't even get thru their hotline.

Kept on saying call back again. Don't even give me a chance to hold on to the line.

All the Singapore mobile line didn't even receive any SMS when I enter Thailand border.

It was perfectly fine when we are roaming in Malaysia.

do share any info/solution from the telecoms if they manage to find something. Thanks

do share any info/solution from the telecoms if they manage to find something. Thanks

Just some simple troubleshooting.

Nothing special.

Anyway, I went to Ipoh and Taiping. Since I didn't been there before.

Lots of great food at the hawker centre

I am now planning my drive up to BKK in July. Havent gotten the days confirmed yet, waiting for my wife leave to be approved. I will be driving up solo or with a co-driver, my wife fly there and meet me at BKK. Then she follow me driving back to SG.

Will be wondering how to cross the new Sadao border.

Came across this blog and he drove beyond BKK, all the way to Rayong. Also he did it as a solo driver.

https://lenniechua.com/2018/06/01/2018-drive-from-singapore-to-thailand/

• Praise 1

I am now planning my drive up to BKK in July. Havent gotten the days confirmed yet, waiting for my wife leave to be approved. I will be driving up solo or with a co-driver, my wife fly there and meet me at BKK. Then she follow me driving back to SG.

Came across this blog and he drove beyond BKK, all the way to Rayong. Also he did it as a solo driver.

Nice, hopefully you're able to share some pics here when it happens

I drove to North Thai (again) earlier this year, before smog/haze season up there.

New Sadao crossing is a PITA when entering Thai, compared to the old system. At least, it was for me.

key points:

1) immigration: drive thru. No proper place to park before it. Need to somehow get the immigration documents done before u reach the counter. First time I tried the new system, I parked 20m before the immigration counter on the left side and ran into the main immigration building to look for the white cards, which was a pain to find. Then, had to go rejoin the car queue. (If you have a passenger, it might be easier to get the cards while in the queue instead of having to park)

What I did next time was to stop in Changlun at one of the many shops that offer thai Immigration documents and insurance.

2) after u clear immigration, still hv to find a space at the adjoining carpark to park the car and go do the import document for the car at the customs counter. The carpark is very very full during peak season; It's a lot smaller than the old open space carpark.

Leaving Thai is a lot easier. Queue up n drive thru for immigration. Then return the import doc at a small counter near the old customs. It's abt 200m or so after u clear immigration.

Note: the above all refers to the Thai side. Msia side is also new but still very simple. Just drive up to the correct counter (look for the overhead signs)

• Praise 3

I drove to North Thai (again) earlier this year, before smog/haze season up there.

New Sadao crossing is a PITA when entering Thai, compared to the old system. At least, it was for me.

key points:

1) immigration: drive thru. No proper place to park before it. Need to somehow get the immigration documents done before u reach the counter. First time I tried the new system, I parked 20m before the immigration counter on the left side and ran into the main immigration building to look for the white cards, which was a pain to find. Then, had to go rejoin the car queue. (If you have a passenger, it might be easier to get the cards while in the queue instead of having to park)

What I did next time was to stop in Changlun at one of the many shops that offer thai Immigration documents and insurance.

2) after u clear immigration, still hv to find a space at the adjoining carpark to park the car and go do the import document for the car at the customs counter. The carpark is very very full during peak season; It's a lot smaller than the old open space carpark.

Leaving Thai is a lot easier. Queue up n drive thru for immigration. Then return the import doc at a small counter near the old customs. It's abt 200m or so after u clear immigration.

Note: the above all refers to the Thai side. Msia side is also new but still very simple. Just drive up to the correct counter (look for the overhead signs)

Thanks for the heads up. Will get to experience it soon.

How many days does Thai allow our car to stay in Thailand? I vaguely remembered only 9 days or so right? But I see the blog, the guy was there for around 15 days.

Just curious for those who have tried or are intending to try: 

Do you guys extend your car insurance coverage? Because our typical insurance covers only up to a certain distance from the border and the insurance you buy at the Thai border is only 3rd party but not your own car. 

I think to have comprehensive coverage is important especially if the car is still relatively new. 

Roadside breakdown and accident recovery assistance is another thing to think about. 

• Praise 1

Do you guys extend your car insurance coverage? Because our typical insurance covers only up to a certain distance from the border and the insurance you buy at the Thai border is only 3rd party but not your own car. 

I think to have comprehensive coverage is important especially if the car is still relatively new. 

Roadside breakdown and accident recovery assistance is another thing to think about. 

My insurance dont cover that far and would be on my own pasar. 3rd party insurance is a must for Thailand.

Thatz why when we drive in Thailand, got to be super defensive. Let those turbo diesel trucks lead the way.

Thanks for the heads up. Will get to experience it soon.

How many days does Thai allow our car to stay in Thailand? I vaguely remembered only 9 days or so right? But I see the blog, the guy was there for around 15 days.

last time it was 14 or 15 days

now it's 30 days per entry

My insurance dont cover that far and would be on my own pasar. 3rd party insurance is a must for Thailand.

Thatz why when we drive in Thailand, got to be super defensive. Let those turbo diesel trucks lead the way.

yup. Although I think its possible to ask your insurer if they offer a short term coverage plan for Thai.

for me, I also tried to research potential workshop/stockist for my ride in Thai, but only found the official car distributor in BKK. My make of car quite rare outside BKK so will be tough to find spare parts n experienced mechanics.

for example, if my windscreen crack, it would be next to impossible to find a replacement in Thai. Not sure if even available in BKK. So ensure I had sufficient duct tape (which is also useful for body panels)

thankfully my windscreen no issue but I cracked a dry CF panel when it got hit by a stone north of BKK. Sim Tia ahhh

I did change engine oil in Chiang Mai on both times I drove to north thai though. No issue for this simple service.

Edited by JohnSHL

for relatively new car, I think roadside breakdown is less probable (I hope!)

I drove to north thai in my car after I renewed COE [grin]

Not sure if AAS has any reciprocal network in Thailand. Worth checking it out.

Will be also good to have International Driving Permit, altho I have never been asked for it at road blocks in Thai. Maybe useful to a certain degree if suay suay kena accident.

• Praise 1