Anyone drove from SG to Bangkok before? Any advice?

Cheefarn

My humble blog, done my road trip in Jan 2019 for 18 days, suppose to be a month due to some family matters. Hope that some finds it useful, detail as much as I can, if not just agnore.

https://4x4mobility.wixsite.com/mysite

Surprised that you could sleep in your car and even cooked in your car. I would be doing it differently. I would be planning my rest stops at various hotels along the way. Also, you should have used Waze for navigation since you had data.

↡ Advertisement

My humble blog, done my road trip in Jan 2019 for 18 days, suppose to be a month due to some family matters. Hope that some finds it useful, detail as much as I can, if not just agnore.

https://4x4mobility.wixsite.com/mysite

marked for reading later.

thanks for sharing!!

I went up to PCF and Mai Sai in Feb LOL

Surprised that you could sleep in your car and even cooked in your car. I would be doing it differently. I would be planning my rest stops at various hotels along the way. Also, you should have used Waze for navigation since you had data.

why Waze?

in Msia, I use Waze (mainly for speed cam info) but prefer Google Maps in both SG and TH

not sure if many Waze users update speed traps in TH... will try next time!

why Waze?

in Msia, I use Waze (mainly for speed cam info) but prefer Google Maps in both SG and TH

not sure if many Waze users update speed traps in TH... will try next time!

I find that Waze navigation is much better. Also it informs you early if required to turn left, right or exit. The display big and directional signs are large enough.

Anyway, I will be using three GPS when I drive up. Waze, Maps.me and Galactio(default from my in-car gps unit).

I find that Waze navigation is much better. Also it informs you early if required to turn left, right or exit. The display big and directional signs are large enough.

Anyway, I will be using three GPS when I drive up. Waze, Maps.me and Galactio(default from my in-car gps unit).

ah ok I personally prefer Google Maps' interface.

for road trips, I use two GPS:

1) Papago (using MFM) in Pioneer HU

2) Google maps or Waze (tablet mounted in car)

HP used as back up or when I wander around on foot

I also download the relevant offline maps in google maps prior to the drive.

when i'm free later, i'll post some pics of my north thai drive this year.

Ive never used maps all my life except the last two trips that I gotten used to Google Maps, feel its more than enough for my navigations, all the gas stations I want it shows accurately, shells, Esso, Caltex, PT or PTT.

Btw, Im a disable on a wheelchair, not easy to get hotels with lifts or ground level, even the toilets will be a huge challenge for me, especially those hotels in provinces. All gas stations in thailand are compulsory to have a disable friendly toilet.

The two escooters I brought along helps me alot in commuting around, innovated a quick release hookon to my chair and it works well for me, cheap and quick donkey for me.

Edited by KaKiLang
  • Praise 4

Ive never used maps all my life except the last two trips that I gotten used to Google Maps, feel its more than enough for my navigations, all the gas stations I want it shows accurately, shells, Esso, Caltex, PT or PTT.

Btw, Im a disable on a wheelchair, not easy to get hotels with lifts or ground level, even the toilets will be a huge challenge for me, especially those hotels in provinces. All gas stations in thailand are compulsory to have a disable friendly toilet.

The two escooters I brought along helps me alot in commuting around, innovated a quick release hookon to my chair and it works well for me, cheap and quick donkey for me.

I like to stay at Hop Inn and B2 hotel chains when on road trip in Thai. Both have lifts at ground floor and wheelchair ramps at lobby. They also have decent car park spaces. Cheap (THB600 or so) and clean. OK for a night's rest and a base to explore the surroundings.

• Praise 2

I like to stay at Hop Inn and B2 hotel chains when on road trip in Thai. Both have lifts at ground floor and wheelchair ramps at lobby. They also have decent car park spaces. Cheap (THB600 or so) and clean. OK for a night's rest and a base to explore the surroundings.

I like B2, huge rooms and toilets with a kitchen but too bad its was prebooked the next day by another guest, JB mansion not too bad, friendly reception, main door will be locked after 11pm only open with a key pin code given.

Your adventurous spirit is really inspiring! All the best on your travels :)

• Praise 1

Waze will also show the various petrol station up ahead. But for me, half tank and I will top up already. So can travel along the way and select my favourite station, usual Shell in Thailand. My car, half tank travel about 400km. Full tank can do 700+km. Cos it has a large fuel tank of 70L. Waze was bought over by Google so maps are almost similar.

I feel that if you have pre-booked your hotel, you wouldnt need to stretch yourself and travel too much on the road. Can go at a more relaxed pace because there is a destination already. Normally, I plan about 400+km for each day of driving. Therefore, you can check out those hotels that are handicap friendly.

Waze will also show the various petrol station up ahead. But for me, half tank and I will top up already. So can travel along the way and select my favourite station, usual Shell in Thailand. My car, half tank travel about 400km. Full tank can do 700+km. Cos it has a large fuel tank of 70L. Waze was bought over by Google so maps are almost similar.

I feel that if you have pre-booked your hotel, you wouldnt need to stretch yourself and travel too much on the road. Can go at a more relaxed pace because there is a destination already. Normally, I plan about 400+km for each day of driving. Therefore, you can check out those hotels that are handicap friendly.

I was in a very relax pace, never felt stressed to drive off the parking lot till I really ready to move off. Budget is always my priority, minding that my ride was a COE car, breakdown is negligeable. My destinations was pinned but have the urge to divert to more places as I travel north. I find navigating for a hotel to just merely sleep over night is a hassle and time wasting.

My goal was the tip of north thailand set on Mae Hon Son, Mae Sai and Phu Chi Fa, Nan was my last minute diversion, till I received msg that my 7yrs old granddaugther was giving problem back home alone with the mother working that I hurried on my return part of my journey. Honestly I was enjoying every bit of my journey even roughing out in the car, I do feel very comfortable and not at all felt dangerous.

Secondly was trying to get use to a normadic road trip as Im preparing for a future North US road trip on a RV which my son in law was a second hand car dealer in States, could get a used RV for me to use for 3 months.

My other plan was also save enough to do one in russia too.

Im a free thinker but have a Japanese buddhist talisman given by my brother and it was hanging in my present car transfered from my old Rover 220, this trip I felt the talisman did protected me, I have two close call, I broke my bumper lip for nothing, further down the stretch, felt my car suddenly fish tailed, only doing 100kmh and instinct told me to pitstop and morning I found the talisman on the floor board, a thick plastic ancient chinese coin tied to it hanging from the backview mirror broke into pieces. First time in happen to me.

Any religion you are, get your car blessed other then the insurance travelling into the unknown.

• Praise 1

I am now planning my drive up to BKK in July. Havent gotten the days confirmed yet, waiting for my wife leave to be approved. I will be driving up solo or with a co-driver, my wife fly there and meet me at BKK. Then she follow me driving back to SG.

Will be wondering how to cross the new Sadao border.

Came across this blog and he drove beyond BKK, all the way to Rayong. Also he did it as a solo driver.

https://lenniechua.com/2018/06/01/2018-drive-from-singapore-to-thailand/

can dabao for me? [:p]

http://aroimakmak.com/bun-meat-and-cheese/?fbclid=IwAR1bZ6zam1Vmj95Pfe5Wc6KdrQogLjfo3MDZc83vlqToDXMtTrof6FA9-Ec

Neutral Newbie

hi, 
i'm planning a road trip from sg to bangkok this december. 

my current car insurance is under Direct Asia, the policies for Thailand, they only covered 80km from Malaysia border, and DA confirmed that geographical coverage is fixed and cannot be amended. 

the insurance that to be buy from thai border is only covered the 3rd party. 

tried to google, can't find any insurance company offer the car insurance cover the entire thailand. 

anyone can advise where to get the insurance coverage for this?

↡ Advertisement